VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Will you buy a bluray or hddvd player this year?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. zip.ca has tons of blue ray and hd dvd's to rent!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will stick with DVD for a while, maybe a couple of years to see:

How much prices will drop.
    How crazy they have gone with copy protection.
    A dual format Blu Ray/HD DVD Player to appear.
    How soon a recorder appears.

Most of all, if players incorporate an online autentication scheme, then I wont be upgrading at any cost; im sticking with DVDs, or wait until someone cracks their lame protections anyhow.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I said "no" but took exception with the "I'll wait" part. I won't be waiting to buy one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlecWest
    I said "no" but took exception with the "I'll wait" part. I won't be waiting to buy one.
    Yep, we have all learned that buying a player is like taking up smoking. The player may cost $300-600 but that starts a media buying binge of ~$1000 up /yr.

We have all been there-done that with CD Audio and DVD. 80% of the library is never watched a second time.

Just say no to HD/BD DVD.

PS: I may step in when players are $99 and a large library rental supplier emerges (a la Netflix) but my hope is a download to server rental business will allow me to skip the player.

PPS: I can get pay-per-view HDTV at full 1920x1080i resolution over Comcast or DBS. If I buy a HD/BD DVD player and HD/BD Discs, I only get 960x540 resolution. I think they should be paying me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Here, here!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by waheed
    Actually I read on article on cnet.com about a company announcing plans for a dual next gen player. But no solid details were released. It should happen its only a matter of time.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by yoda313
    Originally Posted by waheed
    Actually I read on article on cnet.com about a company announcing plans for a dual next gen player. But no solid details were released. It should happen its only a matter of time.
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=16562
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BUMP!!

Hey it's almost the end of the year. Who here has stepped up to bluray or hddvd????
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Too expensive for me still although due to the lower price and the favorable reviews I am leaning towards HD-DVD as the price point for Blu-Ray is just not realistic ... it's downright criminal!

I would like to eventually get a PS3 ... maybe even an Xbox 360 ... but I think those are still way too expensive.

It is a "light" Christmas for me this year as I am still recovering (i.e., making payments) on the HDTV I bought last Christmas.

However if I had the money to make the plunge I would probably buy an Xbox 360 Premium system with the HD-DVD add-on so I get games and HD-DVD instead of buying just an HD-DVD player.

As for the PS3 ... I'd rather wait for the first run production "bugs" to get worked out not to mention actually finding one is a trick right now.

I am confused by one thing though ... the XboX 360 + the HD-DVD add-on is more money than just buying a HD-DVD player whereas the PS3 is cheaper than a Blu-Ray player yet the PS3 does games AND plays Blu-Ray movies so ... what the hell kind of crazy ass pricing is that?

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fulcilives
    I am confused by one thing though ... the XboX 360 + the HD-DVD add-on is more money than just buying a HD-DVD player whereas the PS3 is cheaper than a Blu-Ray player yet the PS3 does games AND plays Blu-Ray movies so ... what the hell kind of crazy ass pricing is that?
    Well first of all Microsoft made the smart move of making the 360 a GAMING CONSOLE first and MOVIE PLAYER second. By not forcing the HDDVD on everybody right away they were able to get the system out way earlier and had a lot more time to ramp up production. Look at all the problems SONY has had trying to meet production and its in no small part to incorporating the BLURAY system into the ps3.

Well and does your pricing include the 360 pro or the 360 basic? Remember the pro is an extra $100 over the basic. So if you strictly wanted just the basic and the hddvd I think that is still less than or exactly the same price as a ps3 I believe - but more importanly YOU CAN ACTUALLY FIND a xbox 360 on the shelf - GOOD LUCK TRYING TO FIND A PS3 now
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Originally Posted by fulcilives
    Well first of all Microsoft made the smart move of making the 360 a GAMING CONSOLE first and MOVIE PLAYER second. By not forcing the HDDVD on everybody right away they were able to get the system out way earlier and had a lot more time to ramp up production. Look at all the problems SONY has had trying to meet production and its in no small part to incorporating the BLURAY system into the ps3.

Well and does your pricing include the 360 pro or the 360 basic? Remember the pro is an extra $100 over the basic. So if you strictly wanted just the basic and the hddvd I think that is still less than or exactly the same price as a ps3 I believe - but more importanly YOU CAN ACTUALLY FIND a xbox 360 on the shelf - GOOD LUCK TRYING TO FIND A PS3 now
    I don't think you understood the point I was trying to make.

The Xbox 360 + the HD-DVD add-on costs more money than just buying a HD-DVD player. This makes sense since one is a video game system + HD-DVD and the other is just HD-DVD.

What doesn't make any sense is the Sony PS3 price point. There you get a video game system AND Blu-Ray movie playback at a price point that is cheaper than a Blu-Ray movie only playback device.

I mean all of the Blu-Ray movie players I have seen have been $900 or $1,000 whereas a Sony PS3 is $600

THAT makes no sense !!!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah but what doesn't make sense from the other angle is that a GAMING SYSTEM, what the PS3 really is, costs 200 dollars more than the XBOX 360!!!! That is what's insane.......
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This year ... no ... already bought enough electronic stuff for xmas presents .

Mine was a new handsaw ... very handy thing that ... bugger , no batteries ... lol ... and a 50 acre farmlet .

As for next year ... I'll wait and see how blueray burner's and players stack up ... I would prefer the problem of the media being too easy to damage too be resolved ... sometime ... like now before they go nutt's on the format's .

I was just looking up one of the blueray pioneer unit's available at the moment for around $900 ... and noticed ... it can not do anything with cd's , and require's you to have another drive just for that purpose ... idiot's .
    Quote Quote  
  14. Watched the PS3 and BluRay demo by Sony. They really get to another level of detail in visual, But I am not paying more than $399 for a player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    Watched the PS3 and BluRay demo by Sony. They really get to another level of detail in visual, But I am not paying more than $399 for a player.
    Sounds like your a candidate for HDDVD than - though they are what 500 right now???
    Quote Quote