VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Will you buy a bluray or hddvd player this year?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'll wait until I buy a hdtv set. Right now I'm happy with my hdtv capture card.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Forget the HD players and movies, I want the DVDR 23GB/layer data capacity writable discs for my computer. Blank media costs are currently in the $1/GB range. I'm hoping this will drop 4x. Then I will buy a BluRay writer.

My HDTV doesn't have a HDCP input. None of my computer equipment is HDCP capable (even though ATI and NVidia said so when I bought their cards).

So I have to conclude Sony et. al have no interest in selling me HD DVD Movies and I have to say the feeling is mutual. I won't buy any.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well, im getting a ps3 the day it comes out, so i'll be getting a bluray player this year.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No purchase, not because of the money, but because I HATE buying
    "dead end" technology. When the dust settles and the industry has
    a solid standard disc for providing "feature films" at full 1080p resolution
    THEN I'll buy a High-Def player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lumis
    i'll be buying a playstation 3 on launch day, so yes.

This is the only way that I would get one.

BUt SOny has yet to release a price for it and so far the games are aren't compelling enough to make me want to pay any price to get it on launch day.

I will get one in like 2008 or 9 most likely. a PS3 that is. HD-DVD and BluRay don't appeal to me since I don't have an HDTV.

Maybe if I wait long enough I can leap frog current gen HDTV and wait for the 4000P monitor they are working on. I wish I had the link right now. They are all ready creating the 4000P digital video files for this format. I read a story about how classic films are being captured at this resolution on special film scanners. It was a year or two ago that I read about that.
    snappy phrase

I don't know what you're talking about.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by LloydAZ
    Originally Posted by Guy_Fawkes
    Originally Posted by LloydAZ
    Nope! No HDMI or DVI on my current HDTV set, only Component. I can't afford to upgrade both.
    Same for me with a 65" Mitsubishi that only has Componant I'll stick with upconversion players. My habits have already changed to renting more than buying, mainly due to the currrent content of the studios.
    Where did you find an upconversion player that uses componenet video? Every single one that I've seen on the market here uses HDMI, so I'm still in the same boat. If you know of one, please let me know the manufacturer and model number.

Thanks!
    The Bravo D2 outputs up to 1080i on the component video out. Check it out here http://www.vinc.com/site/products/product_bravod2.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Zenith DVB318, using lg firmware to enable the unit to upconvert commercial dvds.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=400480
    Initial Success or Total Failture
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by doppletwo
    Originally Posted by lumis
    i'll be buying a playstation 3 on launch day, so yes.

This is the only way that I would get one.

BUt SOny has yet to release a price for it and so far the games are aren't compelling enough to make me want to pay any price to get it on launch day.

I will get one in like 2008 or 9 most likely. a PS3 that is. HD-DVD and BluRay don't appeal to me since I don't have an HDTV.

Maybe if I wait long enough I can leap frog current gen HDTV and wait for the 4000P monitor they are working on. I wish I had the link right now. They are all ready creating the 4000P digital video files for this format. I read a story about how classic films are being captured at this resolution on special film scanners. It was a year or two ago that I read about that.
    i'll be willing to pay $400. i dont think they'll eclipse the price that microsoft set for their premium bundle at launch.. especially considering that the xbox 360 is set for a price drop.. it might even be less than $400.. remember, they're not making money on the consoles, they're making it on the games.

i've had a playstation 2 since it was launched, it's been a very enjoyable console to own.. especially with the hard drive (hdloader)..

i've got a 1080p hdtv now, so having a ps3 that is also be a bluray player will be an extra bonus..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Definately not this year. I may get one next year if they don't make the DRM crap too intrusive and rentals are cheaply available.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the PS3 will definately be $500 or more.

I think that the might even try to have a high end system that is $600.

I think that there is a slim possibility that Sony will release a cheaper version that will cost more in the end, but the cheap one will most likely end up costing $400 and will end up costing a lot more once you buy peripherals that weren't included.
    snappy phrase

I don't know what you're talking about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Much like with DVD I'll sit this one out a year or two.
    Quote Quote  
  12. as far as the ps3, ive heard rumored numbers up to 799.99, which i wouldnt honestly doubt....MS is losing money hand over fist with the xbox 360's (yes, they will eventually get it back with software sales) but last figure i heard was somewhere around a 150-200 dollar loss, including all the mispressed cpu's, ect.......if the ps3 is gonna have all this technology that it's supposed to, i dont see how they could really drop the system at anything under 600 or 700 dollars even WITH taking the type of losses that MS is right now....
    Quote Quote  
  13. FulciLives: Interesting about the Sony, I'm guessing that may be more populare with many due to the amount of Sd vs HD content. So it will fill the screen on most content for someone like me and look letterboxed on HD 16x9. Where many are already used to letterboxing so it could be easier for people to get used to it.

My only question is on 16x9 it must have a very high res/sharp display that must/should require better electronics to deliver the proper resolution using only part of the screen. I'll have to look into it and see if it affordable as that is what size screen is appropriate for my viewing area.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    FulciLives: Interesting about the Sony, I'm guessing that may be more populare with many due to the amount of Sd vs HD content. So it will fill the screen on most content for someone like me and look letterboxed on HD 16x9. Where many are already used to letterboxing so it could be easier for people to get used to it.

My only question is on 16x9 it must have a very high res/sharp display that must/should require better electronics to deliver the proper resolution using only part of the screen. I'll have to look into it and see if it affordable as that is what size screen is appropriate for my viewing area.

Thanks
    Well even though they are 4:3 HDTV sets they do have what is called a "16x9 compression mode" which basically means that even though you have a 4:3 screen you still get extra resolution out of 16x9 video.

The 36" model uses Sony's top-of-the-line tube technology vs the 32" model but the 36" model is very expensive at around $1,400 - $1,500 whereas the 32" model is more like $800 to $900 (these were the prices around Christmas 2005).

Here is a link to the 32" model ---> CLICK HERE

Here is a link to the 36" model ---> CLICK HERE

Looks like the 32" model is discontinued !!!

You would have to get the 36" model if you want a 4:3 HDTV but at that price you might be better off with a 34" 16x9 WS HDTV which would be a good $300.00 less but 4:3 on a 34" 16x9 WS only has the same height as a 28" 4:3 TV which kinda blows. On the flip side a WS image is actually bigger on the 34" 16x9 WS than it would be on the 36" 4:3 TV.

I went 16x9 myself but got a 51" CRT projector so 4:3 or 16x9 either way the image is BIG. You do have to get used to either a stretched 4:3 picture (which I can't stand) or having grey/black on the sides of a 4:3 picture (which ain't too hard to get used too).

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll probablly wait until 2007 to see how the format war shakes out. Within a year of both formats hitting the market I think a clear winner will emerge.

I'm also curious as to what the A/V Receiver manufacturers are going to do. At the same time I upgrade my player I'd like to upgrade my receiver. I'd like to make sure the receivers, such as Denon's upcoming AVR2807, will be as HDCP compliant as they say they will. With so many devices including HDMI I want a receiver to have good HDMI switching and upconverting capabilities. My HDTV already has a HDCP compliant DVI port so it should be good for some time.

Of course, I also need to wait for my family CFO, aka my wife, to allow me to spend that kind of cash on "TV Suff"
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    So assume most of you have don't have a 1080p projector/ tv...
    Nope. Soon I hope.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Forget the HD players and movies, I want the DVDR 23GB/layer data capacity writable discs for my computer. Blank media costs are currently in the $1/GB range. I'm hoping this will drop 4x. Then I will buy a BluRay writer.
    You too huh? I'm looking forward to storing 3-8 times the amount of data on the same size disc I currently record to. Having HD movies is going to be a nice addition but I'm looking more towards larger capacity storage than I am to higher quality movies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would be very careful on the A/V receiver front. HDMI/HDCP requirements are still in flux. The broadcast Flag is still not approved by Congress so the end game isn't in sight for broadcast. The requirements could loosen (we hope) or they could eliminate the possibility of switching and once again obsolete your receiver.

As far as HD/BD DVD playback, the manufacturers can do what they like without any regulation. The MPAA gang has no desire to support switchable HDMI. They want a player to TV connection only. The only safe path today is to buy a HDTV with multiple HDMI inputs.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This poll is missing the following item:

No, I will wait until tD (tgpo Disc) players are out.
    Cosmin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cosmin
    This poll is missing the following item:

No, I will wait until tD (tgpo Disc) players are out.
    LOL so right !!!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Bob W
    The Bravo D2 outputs up to 1080i on the component video out. Check it out here http://www.vinc.com/site/products/product_bravod2.html
    Unless I'm reading this wrong, it won't do it. Here's a clip from the spec sheet:

Video Decoding:
    MPEG-1, MPEG-2 MP@ML, MPEG-4 Simple, MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile (Copy protected DVD playback limited to 480i, 576i, 480p on YPbPr)
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by Bob W
    Actually, I found this in their FAQ for this player:

Can I upconvert the output via Component?
    The Component output can be set for 480p, 720p and 1080i, but a Macrovision protected DVD will constrain the output to 480p in the Component mode. Only if you author your own DVD??s, will the player be able to be set for the HD formats. The DVI is not constrained by Macrovision. Only Component output.

That is probably 90% of my collection! I don't want to back-up 400+ DVD's just to use this device. Oh well, I'll keep looking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Upscaling a 720x480/576 DVD isn't making it HDTV. The true resolution remains 720x480. Upscaling to 1080i works only if your TV is native 1080i (some DLP projectors). The rest downscale the upscaled interlace 1080i to native resolution often bypassing "cinema" IVTC.

Upscaling to 720p may be good if your HDTV is native 1280x720 progressive but most will rescale again to native resolution.

All HDTV sets have internal upscalers.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by LloydAZ
    Originally Posted by Bob W
    Actually, I found this in their FAQ for this player:

Can I upconvert the output via Component?
    The Component output can be set for 480p, 720p and 1080i, but a Macrovision protected DVD will constrain the output to 480p in the Component mode. Only if you author your own DVD??s, will the player be able to be set for the HD formats. The DVI is not constrained by Macrovision. Only Component output.

That is probably 90% of my collection! I don't want to back-up 400+ DVD's just to use this device. Oh well, I'll keep looking.
    Maybe this DVI to Component Video adapter will do what you want? http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814999903&CMP=OTC-Froogle&ATT=AMC...ponent+Adapter
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bob W
    That is only for certain ATI display cards
    http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/faq.html

I have one for use with my AIW8500DV and 9550 Theater 200 cards. It works but the picture looks far better as a progressive 480p ouput from a DVD player into the CRT HDTV. Results may differ with different HDTV technologies.
    Quote Quote  
  26. FulciLives:

Thanks for the info, I'm definately going to have to look into that. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with LCD TVs, I'm guessing that the less expensive ones could have trouble on really fast scenes. Plasma appears to have a short life compared to LCD or Picture tube models. Picture tube models seem to run a long time. I was just chatting with a customer here and he mentioned he is still using a Console Model TV that was made in the USA, How long ago was that? I remember when All the radios/TvVs and Phonographs were made in the USA except for some really cheap junk from Japan.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How about just "no" period? There is no waiting involved.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  28. Depends on price. Doesn't it always? I mean, if they were the same price as a DVD player, wouldn't most people buy one? Of course, that's not going to happen for a while, but it's still a price issue.

More than likely I'll get one when I get my next TV. That'll likely be in the 2010 area.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by Jester700
    That'll likely be in the 2010 area.
    <in Conan O'Brian voice>
    In the year 2010:the MPAA will require receivers to be implanted into our skulls to watch HD video,any unauthorized copying will cause our brains to scramble.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to waite.
    Quote Quote