VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I might make a list for portable players but what should it contain?
    • Name
      Link
      Screen size
      Storage size, storage media
      Battery life
      Computer connection, USB, Bluetooth, WLAN
      Video playback features, container MP4,AVI, codecs DivX,XviD,h264,...
      Audio playback features, MP3, WMA,...
      User comments

I don't want too much features, just the main ones that are listed on most manufacturer sites.

And if you are interested in moderating and adding new players let me know.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe storage size, how much video it can hold, or some way to gauge playtime. This varies quite a bit if it has a hard drive. Wouldn't apply to DVD type players.

Probably less useful, but battery life, or how long it plays on a charge. With this, though, the manufacturer information is normally vague.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Number and types of A/V connections?

External media support?

Software/Hardware included?

Along with battery life how about whether the battery is user serviceable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Where would you draw the line for inclusion of devices though? I use my PocketPC, my Nokia 6230, and a portable DVD player for portable audio/video.
    Melde Melda Vessė
    Eruanna ar Eruntano Melda Eruntanohini

"May your days be bright and contact with stupid people limited."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The line for portable audio/video keep getting redrawn on a daily basis. I don't think there should be a limit. If it supports your audio/video needs then it's a portable audio/video device.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This would definately be a high maintenance list!!!
    Melde Melda Vessė
    Eruanna ar Eruntano Melda Eruntanohini

"May your days be bright and contact with stupid people limited."
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As a line to be drawn I would be inclined not to include anything Ipod related for lists since I could imagine with 75% of the MP3 player market that'd make up the bulk of work from submissions and with that many people using them it's not like there's a lack of information out there.

I'm also not sure how useful including PDAs would be as there are other sites to review those and the fact that they can play video it's more of a sideline as opposed to what they're made for like PVPs.

For what to include in I would add if they can record either audio or video and if so if it's by a cradle or built in.

Things might get a bit dicey with the amv/mtv format since many units say they support divx but hide the fact it requires using the bundled software to convert from divx to mtv/amv. Other ebay sellers just list MP4 and no mention that it's the amv/mtv variety.
    Day Dreamin' about John Waters...again.

The Naked Gord Program
    http://nakedgord.blogspot.com
    Humour, Politics, Gadgets.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When i first decided to buy a portable video player here was the first place i came, looking for this very list. Alas i did not find it.

I would recomend only puting the unusual things it comes with instead of all that it comes with. Most will come with cables and software but if its got extras (like a dock or case) i would add or if it does not have something ,like a usb cable, i would add that too.

Also wether or not the battery is removable or not.

If it has expansion slots and if its flash or HD.

Maybe warrenty info for new products.

These devices are going to expode (or are allready) so you may as well start your list now i would say. As the best site online for video conversion i would almost think this list is mandatory here.

I would consider helping add info if you get this off the ground just for the fact that it would help people in a simmiler situation to mine and i dont think a list like this is around yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Weight! Very important for portable devices.
    Some days it seems as if all I'm doing is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic
    Quote Quote