VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Sony Pictures on Tuesday became the first major studio to put a price tag on Blu-ray Discs when they become available in U.S. stores this year.

At the same time, the studio unveiled what many observers believe will be a key component of the next-generation, high-definition optical disc's marketing strategy: bundling various formats together to give consumers more flexibility and mobility.

Catalog Blu-ray Disc titles will sell at wholesale for $17.95, about the same as DVDs when that format hit the market in 1997. New-release Blu-ray Discs will wholesale for $23.45, a premium of 15 percent to 20 percent over what suppliers were charging for new theatrical DVDs.

The higher pricing structure for new releases is meant to accommodate the sell-through and rental markets, said Benjamin Feingold, president of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. He noted that in at the dawn of DVD in 1997, most movies initially were released on rental-price videocassettes.

"The premium is for a way better format and to remind retailers that at the time we launched DVD, VHS was selling for $55 wholesale in the first window," Feingold said.
    Continued......
    http://news.com.com/Sony+sets+price+for+Blu-ray+Discs/2100-1026_3-6036504.html?tag=nefd.top
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. this topic is a Dupe of the one linked below:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=292556
    LifeStudies 1.01 - The Angle Of The Dangle Is Indirectly Proportionate To The Heat Of The Beat,Provided The Mass Of The Ass Is Constant.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    $23.45 for a new release isn't bad.
    When DVD's first hit the market, they were more than that for new releases.
    I don't remember catalog titles dropping to $17.95 until a bit later than 1997 tho.
    Now if somebody would announce a price point for the players, instead of all the speculated prices.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also prices for Blu-Ray DVD Recorders and blanks would be helpful...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "New-release Blu-ray Discs will wholesale for $23.45".

Dude, do you know what wholesale means? These will probably retail for $40.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Xylob the Destroyer
    $23.45 for a new release isn't bad.
    When DVD's first hit the market, they were more than that for new releases.
    I don't remember catalog titles dropping to $17.95 until a bit later than 1997 tho.
    Now if somebody would announce a price point for the players, instead of all the speculated prices.
    Those are wholesale prices, not what you would pay in store. The price we pay will be higher. I suspect the $23.45 wholesale will figure to be in the range of $29.99-$34.99, while the $17.95 wholesale will probably retail for between $24.99-$29.99
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeh, i missed that crucial word "wholesale" when I read it.
    "To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." - Steven Wright
    "Megalomaniacal, and harder than the rest!"
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could be worse. Rental priced VHS tapes were like $90.00 at one time.

A huge improvement in the price department if you ask me. Of course, even at this not so ridiculous price ($29.99 to $34.99) I don't think you'll see a mass exodus to your nearest retailer to scarf up these titles any time in the near future. Then again, PS3 could change everything.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think $30 for a high definition movie at launch time is pretty darn good. It could be alot worse. The PS3 will definitely help with sales and getting this tech into the living rooms of those who would otherwise balk at spending the money.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good for the studios, not good for consumers.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There will always be those who want $2 movies.
    Quote Quote  
  12. not necessarily $2 movies,but at least something in the ballpark of what dvd movies are now.
    just cause its a new medium,doensnt mean that the corporations have carte blanche to rip us off again,which IMO,they will,with older releases being touted as "better" on this medium,and thats not entirely true.
    they can kiss my nuts till they drop the price a lot,till its representative of todays movie prices,and not what they were X years ago.
    LifeStudies 1.01 - The Angle Of The Dangle Is Indirectly Proportionate To The Heat Of The Beat,Provided The Mass Of The Ass Is Constant.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RottenFoxBreath
    not necesserally $2 movies,but at least something in the ballpark of what dvd movies are now.
    just cause its a new medium,doensnt mean that the corporations have carte blanche to rip us off again,
    Can you name a single new media that at release time cost the same as old media that has been around for a decade?

A recent example. My wife and I were at a friends house a few weeks ago and they were watching a DVD movie from 1994(11 years old). My wife obviously enjoyed the movie and for Valentine's Day she will be opening the DVD which I purchased for $20. It's 11 years old, I bought it from a wholesaler and it was still $20.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know where you guys are getting a retail price of $30 from. But to all you BR supporters out there, what did you expect? You have been reading for the last couple of years that BR would cost a LOT more to produce than HD-DVD, haven't you???

It never occured to you that YOU would be paying for that cost?
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  15. 1994???--i was under the assumtion that dvds werent on sale till at least august-november 1996,around the same time the first players were introduced,and the dvd "book" was created.
    i am aware though that in 1994, pioneer developed another digital video disc system which used an SHG blue laser--loooong time before sony thought it was "cool".
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RottenFoxBreath
    1994???--i was under the assumtion that dvds werent on sale till at least august-november 1996,around the same time the first players were introduced,and the dvd "book" was created.
    Most of my precious DVDs are of movies that pre-date VHS. This movie just happens to be a more recent example which is only 11 years old and costing close to the price of a wholesale BR disc.
    Quote Quote  
  17. it could be one of those movies,like for example,"restless natives",old movie,about £10 still,although getting cheaper,whereas "war of the worlds",last year,now only £5 in asda,not 2 weeks ago.
    and i dont speak for america,i speak really for the mental prices i can imagine there thinking up for the uk and europe.so whatever it is in dollars,it will equate to the same in pounds,so we will pay a lot more than you do,more than likely double.
    after all it is sony,and europe is a cash cow for them.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder when they will start to hit the $5.50 bin at walllmart
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by smearbrick1
    Could be worse. Rental priced VHS tapes were like $90.00 at one time.
    Yeah, I remember when most VHS tapes were released in a "two-tier" strategy, when brand new movies were $50-$90, thus encouraging rentals, and after the "hot" period was over (couple of months, maybe more), they'd drop the sell-through price to $24.95 or something like that.

$25-ish wholesale means I'll bet you'll see these at Costco and the like for $29.95, basically they (Costco et al) will make no profit to speak of on the movie (less expenses), but they'll sell a boatload of HD/Blu-Ray players.

I'll be curious as to what the rental market will be like as HD discs arrive.
    Quote Quote