VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Well everybody, it seems like the unthinkable has happened. I spent most of Monday and Yesterday trying to order a JVC HR-S9911U -- the most popular S-VHS deck on the forums (it seems) for restoration.

I went through no less than 25 online stores, and three local stores -- one of which doesn't even carry JVC anymore, and I'm pretty peeved about this. Every place I called gave me one of three answers:

1. It's discontinued/was discontinued in December 2005.
    2. Let me check my stock room (insert about a minute on hold) -- nope we're all out and it's an older model.
    3. It was discontinued and our website wasn't updated -- we'll remove it now. (Some of them did right after I called.)

I looked at everything from the $250 clearance-priced units to the $516 MSRP Scalper-priced units. NOBODY has this thing new, sealing in the box, not refurbished and not used!

So... does anybody have a suggestion on where I might find one? My father has an industry "contact" he's talking too today but he mostly deals with Sony -- not JVC; he may or may not be able to get the thing for me, but it looks more like he won't be able to get it from what I've been told.

If my luck runs out around 5:00PM tonight, what do you folks suggest? Has JVC announced a successor to the HR-S9911U? We've had the HR-S9800U, the HR-S9900U, and now the HR-S9911U. Wouldn't the "HR-S9922U" (going by the best way I can think they'd up the model # now) have been announced already if they were making such a unit, or does JVC have a "gap" between discontinuing the old model and releasing the new one? Any help is appreciated and since this unit is popular among those of us involved in restoration, I thought that the post was most suitable for this forum.

Finally, how does everyone feel about this? Are there other potential JVC consumers out there who are as unhappy as I am? Did they discontinue this model too soon? Thoughts are appreciated and yes, I'm still looking and quite annoyed that JVC removed what appeared to be their "best" VCR from their product line. (I say best as in best for remastering VHS tapes.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The day will come when all SVHS VCR will be discontinue but not today. Try Pricegrabber.com or Ebay.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Bodyslide
    Don't listen to what that site says Bodyslide. They were the third company I called that claimed to have it "In-Stock" on their website -- when I got their rep on the phone, the guy paused, checked the stock, and told me that the unit was discontinued. I was not happy. They're also the highest that I've seen this thing go for. Trust me, I was not happy, and I remember them since they popped up through a few searches for that unit. Froogle, pricegrabber, and another comparison site all lead to sites that handn't updated their stock listings. Thanks though, but I did try them already. I'll never forget the layout of their site -- it's one of those things that jumps out at you like a giant poster in a store window which was nice.

Also tried HDTV Time, The Electronics Club, PAC-2000, Adorama, Video Direct (which has it listed correctly,) and EZHotDeal among others.

Marvingj -- I've got my eye on eBay but I don't see any HR-S9911U units coming up under searches for JVC, also tried pricegrabber -- dead ends there.

Remember, JVC wrote the book on VHS, they also created S-VHS and they're still peddling D-VHS -- I don't think they're going to drop their creation like a hot rock just yet -- I do think that they should at least have a comperable unit ready to market though, rather than leaving people like myself to hang around eBay in the hope that someone sells one, and that it's still sealed in the box. -- I don't want an opened one since I know how some sellers will "claim" they no nothing about it and you'll wind up with a DOA model. I was very careful when I bought my Vidicraft Proc Amp/Detailer because I wanted to know that what I was seeing was what I was getting and not a "bait and switch" deal. -- I had one bad experiance and it was with electronics.

Ironically enough, my last VCR was a Factory Refurb because of the same problem: The company that was producing it, in that case Sony, discontinued the model I wanted. Everything afterwards was cheap junk that even Wal*Mart should be embarrased to sell. The replacement to the unit I liked was so horrid I wound up buying a refurb just because I couldn't stand the new model's lack of features.

Thanks for the info though, will continue to keep an eye on eBay -- I just wish more sellers had "Buy-It-Now!" available -- every time I bid someone uses a sniper program at the last minute and outbids me within five seconds of the auctions close. You have no idea how annoying this is, I time by bid down to the last second -- I don't appreicate a computer outbidding me on a 0 bids auctions. If I had money to burn I'd put in a ridiculously high bid -- if I'm not going to win at least I can make the guy using the sniper program pay through the nose for the thing. Cheaters never prosper!

It's true, S-VHS is dying, but it's not dead yet and I'd like to get the HR-S9911U for its filters more than anything, I'd like to see JVC not just drop their best S-VHS model in favor of a combo deck that's half-assed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found one JVC 9911 for $453.99 ( very expensive) at MyFreeTax.com, ; You'll probably better off looking at Ebay, you can probably get it for at half that price....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, try finding a new SR-V10U or an SR-V101U. They should still be available. I believe they have the 2MB TBC/DNR circuit, but PQ should still be very close to the 9911.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Is the only difference the 2MB vs. the 4MB of the 9911? Other than that, are they essentially the same unit?
    Quote Quote  
  7. They are smaller in size and weight than the 9911. I don't know if they use the same transport and heads, electronics, etc. They are pretty decent in terms of VHS playback, though. However, not as good as the earlier JVC units like the HR-S7600U, 9600U, and the 9800U.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Has anyone stopped to think that JVC may be releasing a successor to the 9911? That may be why stores are no longer stocking it. JVC has not announced yet that VCR production has stopped completely. I wonder though how many 9911's were made. 1000?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps a replacement will be forthcomming but if JVC keeps up the trend of making each new model cheaper and cheaper than the new 9xxx model will be made of tissue paper

With any luck it will be pre-treated to be water and stain resistent but I wouldn't count on it :P

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    By the way I was going to post about this myself (but never got around to it) because I looked on B&H a few days ago for the 9911 and realized that it was nowhere to be seen even though I had seen it listed there before. I had a feeling something was up. I guess I was right.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  10. I just searched on Google. Quite a few shops show up as having it in-stock. B&H is not the end all, be all, of video products on this planet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wile_E
    I just searched on Google. Quite a few shops show up as having it in-stock. B&H is not the end all, be all, of video products on this planet.
    Better not say that to LordSmurf

I look up prices a lot on some of the "high end" toys we like to play with and B&H is surprisingly the cheapest many times ... they were the cheapest for the 9911 while they still had it ... this according to PRICEGRABBER.COM

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Perhaps a replacement will be forthcomming but if JVC keeps up the trend of making each new model cheaper and cheaper than the new 9xxx model will be made of tissue paper

With any luck it will be pre-treated to be water and stain resistent but I wouldn't count on it :P

P.S.
    By the way I was going to post about this myself (but never got around to it) because I looked on B&H a few days ago for the 9911 and realized that it was nowhere to be seen even though I had seen it listed there before. I had a feeling something was up. I guess I was right.
    I did think of this, but the HR-S9922U -- They've run out of digits to throwe after 9 in the 9xxx line and the next logical step is 9x21 or 9x22 -- would have been out if they were making one.

I looked at the 2MB Frame Memory models, but I need the filters and proccesing power of the HR-S9911U. Oh and John, you hit the nail on the head -- there should be 8MB frame memory in those new suckers, not 2MB -- it's rearwards progression and the new units remind me of the 2002 Sony's. To quote Jim Kramer from Mad Mney -- DON'T BUY! DON'T BUY! DON'T BUY! HOUSE OF PAIN! DON'T BUY! -- You get the idea, they're more headache than headache relief when it comes to actually doing what they claim. Likewise the MiniDV/S-VHS Hybrid seems like JVC attempt to concede without actually doing so -- this reminds me of Panasonic throwing DVD+R and DVD-RW support onto their ExxH line of DVD Recorders -- they know DVD-RAM is dying/dead but they're not going to admit it without a fight. The diference is, Panasonic still believe they're right, JVC is quitting.

I googled this thing for two days and I called every place I found with a phone number and "in stock" listing -- as soon as I called them that changed to "Out Of Stock/Discontinued/Backordered" -- kinda peeved me that they couldn't fess up to Discontinued all at once. Backordered on a discontinued items translates to bad inventory managment and out of stock is pretty much the same thing. Likewise, B&H just saved my arse since MVP Audio & Video has been bullsh*tingme on a casefor my PDX10 camcorder since November, I called B&H and got one of the four they had left in stock. If only they had an HR-S9911U left -- I'd have bought that as well, alas, these seem to have gone to the "Christmas Special" shoppers in December.

The reason I liked the HR-S9911U was that it was on par with the quality of previous units and had the features of the new units -- it pinnacled their modern S-VHS line much the way Sony's SLV-N81 pinnacled their VHS line in 2001. By 2002 the cheap crap had come out and the "Wal*Mart Special" was often better in quality - if I had money to burn I'd burn it on blowing up a poorly constructed VCR that claims to be better (don't we all just love that word) than what I have. Likewise, I've seen what the HR-S9911U filters can do, and I don't want to "downgrade" -- I'm hoping my Plan-B contact knows somebody with access to a JVC wharehouse and can get me "last years model" as he often does, if this works I'm good, if he has no contact I'm hoping someone will show up on e(vil)Bay and have a surplus of these things still sealed as deadstock. Unfortunately deadstock is as hard to find as an X0 LaserDisc player. (i.e. Impossible in most cases.)

Thanks for the help though guys, I'll keep looking, I need that 4MB of frame memory -- I have far too many VHS tapes that need it from less than decent VCRs and some from excellent VCRs.

~Cyrax9~
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe the shift is for the pro line to exist, not the others. JVC S-VHS Professional SR-V101 is still in production, available, and in stock at many locations. The Prosumer line has slowly been culled. USA was actually last, the German-made PAL units were discontinued back in 2004.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I did an eBay search and found this --- > CLICK HERE

This auction is for a JVC S-VHS model HR-S9900U and according to this auction, and I quote, "This product is new in the box with all supplied manufacturer's accessories."

Good Luck !!!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I believe the shift is for the pro line to exist, not the others. JVC S-VHS Professional SR-V101 is still in production, available, and in stock at many locations. The Prosumer line has slowly been culled. USA was actually last, the German-made PAL units were discontinued back in 2004.
    Other than the 2MB frame buffer vs 4MB frame buffer I thought the SR-V101 was pretty much the same as the 9000 series?

Do you have any comments on that?

I figure you would know better than anyone and considering the 9000 series is gone this is an important issue now.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Basically, yes.
    Quote Quote  
  17. For those worried about the 4MB TBC/DNR vs. the 2MB version... the only difference is the size of the frame buffer. The filtering and PQ is the same otherwise. For example, the older HR-S7600U is an outstanding machine and has the 2MB frame buffer.

I would expect the 9911, the SR-V101U, and even the S-VHS side of the MiniDV/S-VHS prosumer combo units to have nearly identical playback PQ. I have a nearly new prosumer SR-MV50 (which is a DVD recorder/S-VHS combo unit) and the tape playback PQ looks just as good as the SR-V10U I have on hand.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by gshelley61

I would expect the 9911, the SR-V101U, and even the S-VHS side of the MiniDV/S-VHS prosumer combo units to have nearly identical playback PQ.
    That is exactly what led me here. I have a JVC HR-DVS3 that I brought when I realized my old SVHS tapes were starting to show their age. My SVHS Camcorder was still recording, but the playback wasn't functioning well. I realized the price for the MiniDV/SVHS deck was steep, but I figured the old tapes were worth it so I took the plunge. I was amazed at the picture quality of not only the SVHS tapes , but also my old VHS tapes.

I had several SVHS vcrs before, but they had always been the cheapest model. The DVS3 playback was so much better than my regular SVHS vcr that I realized it was doing more than just playing my tapes. I finally started to do some research and that led me to this forum. I did eventually pickup a 9600 and a 7800 to save wear and tear on the DVS3.

I can't tell a difference in the PQ between the DVS3 and the 9600. They both look great to me. I realize that the combo units may not be for everyone, but I have no complaints about mine. I was thinking about picking up a 9911 when I saw them drop in price. I guessed that they might be phasing it out and I wondered why JVC wasn't announcing a new model. I should have jumped on it in November when they were still around. I might pick up a V101U though. You can't have too many vcrs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I really cannot tell much difference between a 9800, SR-V10U and 7900, it terms of image quality. Every now and then, on a really horrible tape, the extra RAM buffer is nice, but it's unneeded most of the time. The only thing about my 9800 that is better than the others is the build quality.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I wish I knew the differences between the 9900 and the 9911 (aside from the 9911 being newer) but I did get some good news today.

My father's co-worker who sends us "last years model" each christmast of a random electronic device (this year was a GPS, the year before was a 15" LCD TV etc.,etc.) said that he's going to look into finding an HR-S9911U for me if possible. He has to contact his friend though who deals with several of the companies, if the guy stocks JVC; he'll probably have it -- he always has overstock that never hits shelves and I'll just have to pay him for a new unit.

Lordsmurf, some of my tapes are total disasters -- we're talking severe DNR use needed, more frames dropped than captured, and general disasters. Basically when I was younger I didn't think that recording in the infamous EP Mode for VHS was a bad idea; today I'd kick myself if the thought even crossed my mind and I wouldn't touch a VHS tape unless under duress.

2MB would probably be fine on some of my tapes, but there are many more where they're a disaster, or in some cases, I want to smack whoever misaligned the tracking heads at the factory that I have to auto-adjust. The extra RAM buffer would save me a major headache for some of these tapes although if I decide to move all of my VCRs over to S-VHS units I'd probably opt for the MiniDV/DVCAM Combo design with the S-VHS Decks built in.

The 9911U is the unit I'm most interested in, and I'm still prowling around for it -- I'm not out of ideas yet, but if everything turns up nil, I'll be back on eBay and talking to a few people who might be able to grab one that somebody forgot was sitting on a shelf. This is not something I intend to give up on easily. I'm ready to pay MSRP for this thing because I'm familiar with the model and I've seen what it can do. When you have a (mostly) EP-Mode VHS Tape library that should have been in SP Mode recorded on every brand of tape under the sun, you need a unit that can handle the proccessing that the 9911U could.

I would think JVC would throw a "10000" line out or something even if they were all combo units -- if the only thing they did was throw in a MiniDV or DVD Deck to compliment the S-VHS deck I wouldn't care, what bothers me is that they went from 2MB frame memory, to 4MB frame memory, back down to 2MB frame memory. I'm just glad I can attempt to find this still, all hope isn't lost yet, but if it is I suspect that we'll be hearing about a "new" S-VHS model that's on par with the 9000 series. if the V-series is the new wave, I can only hope they keep the quality up. I'll do a bit mroe research into those other units -- I might want to switch my standard VHS Playback deck over to a MiniDV/DVCAM & S-VHS Deck since I'm starting to amass a nice collection of MiniDV tapes in DVCAM mode.

Other odd question: If JVC is going to keep pushing that D-VHS line they have out, why not build a D-VHS unit with the filters of the S-VHS units? We know they're not going to sell D-VHS mainstream (although with the Blu-ray/HD-DVD wars they might have a chance) as originally planned, so why not just turn those decks into an extra "perk" for S-VHS users. You get D-VHS, S-VHS, VHS support, and all the filters you had before -- they'd be able to move some of that D-VHS stock and still support those of us who want the S-VHS units. I just think they shouldn't have terminated the 9000 line when they did -- every (r)etailer I've called who's claimed to have it in stock had a tone of dissappointment in their voice when they realized it was discontinued, it was clearly a best seller and I could think of far worse products JVC should have dropped. (Like their entire VHS-only line.)

The reason people buy JVC is for JVC quality like that of the 9000 series; otherwise they start looking like overpriced Sony stuff at times. By killing the goose that laid their golden egg they've shot themselves in the foot for potential sales on some unique products. Right now if I was CEO of JVC I'd be studying Sony and then figuring out how NOT to do what they did that ruined most of their stuff -- especially in the prosumer/consumer-friendly lines. Sony used to be my favorite, but they've retrograded to a quality level that is rivaled by Apex's "explod-a-DVD-Players" when it comes to functionality. JVC had a great product, they could have bumped it down to a "consumer grade" model and lowered the price if it was only selling to consumers -- they'd still make money and we'd still be happy.

I'll look at the new units, but I'm holding out for the 9911 which I might still be able to get. If this guy can get his hands on one I know it'll be a reasonable deal and depending on the price I might even buy two of them just in case -- I'm still peeved about the last time I bought a VHS unit and had to resort to a Yahoo! store of refurb stuff. That was fine, but for my remastering deck I need the cannons, not the pea-shooters.

The major issue here is that 4MB of RAM -- that's going to come in very handy on some of my older tapes that I'm only fast-fowarding & rewinding until I can get them archived -- I'm afraid playing them will do more harm than good.
    Specs: Mac Mini (Early 2006): 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo CPU, 320GB HDD, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics card, Matshita UJ-846 Superdrive, Mac OS X 10.5.7 and various peripherals. System runs Final Cut Express 3.5 for editing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Cyrax9

You might want to take a look at the following thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=289311

You might want a miniDV or Digital8 camcorder instead of a JVC and if that sounds confusing ... just follow the thread in total

Quote Quote  
  22. @John--

I've been following that -- I need the S-VHS deck for VHS playback, the final output will be to a Sony PDX10 MiniDV Camcorder in DVCAM mode. -- I have the PDX10 already -- just need the VCR.

Also, look at this; it's for the JVC HR-DVS3U models:
    Digipure Technology for Super VHS with 4MB Frame Memory, Digital Wide TBC, Precision 3-D Color Circuit, Precise Digital 3-D Y/C Separation, Digital 3-D YNR/CN, Digital R 3 Picture System.

http://www.adorama.com/JVHRDVS3.html

So if this is right, than is that unit simply an HR-S9911U with a MiniDV Deck, or is a feature missing/added? Added (and equally functional to the HR-S9911U) I can take, missing and I'll keep trying what I've been doing.

The part in question is the 4MB Frame memory -- I thought only the 9911 had that. Perhaps the almighty Lordsmurf could shed some light on the mystery of the JVC HR-DVS3 Vs. the JVC HR-S9911U issue.

~Cyrax9~
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The following is a cut and paste from the JVC website:

Here is the direct link ---> CLICK HERE

Originally Posted by JVC website
    Mini DV/S-VHS Combination Deck
    HR-DVS3U

Mini DV Format &High Resolution Super VHS and VHS
    Super VHS ET Recording
    Pro-Cision 19 micron width EP Heads
    DigiPure Technology w/ TBC and 2MB Frame Memory
    Easy PC Connectivity and NLE Compatibility
    PCM Digital Audio (DV) andHi-Fi VHS Stereo with MTS Decoder
    VCR Plus+ with "Cable Eye" Cable Box Controller
    Advanced Jog Dial on VCR
    Jog/Shuttle on Remote
    Insert Editing with Flying Erase Head
    Audio Dubbing
    DA4(Double Azimuth) Head Helical Scan System
    Auto Index and Index Search
    Digital AV Tracking
    Plug & Play
    Auto SP-EP Timer Recording
    Active Video Calibration
    Express Programming
    Multi-Brand TV/DBS Compatible Remote with Jog / Shuttle
    S-video Input on Front / Back Panel
    Two S-Video Output on Back Panel
    Rear AV Inputs, Gold Plated Front Inputs
    Two A/V Outputs
    181 Channel Tuner
    1Year /12 Event Timer(6 event each for DV & S-VHS/VHS)
    Multi Lingual Color on Screen Menu
    1 Year Parts, 90 Days Labor Warranty
    Width: 17 3/16" (435mm)
    Height: 4-3/16" (106mm)
    Depth: 15" (380mm)
    Power: AC 120V - 60Hz
    One -Touch Dubbing (DV to SVHS/VHS)
    Please note that the JVC website has had "errors" on it in the past or less than "complete" information.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's a JVC SR-VS20U (combo MiniDV/SVHS with 4MB Digipure) on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5860325702&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

It looks pretty nice.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Do these combo decks allow you to dub to mini-dv and output via s-video at the same time?

btw...I emailed both JVC consumer and professional support yesterday. I asked if they had plans to release a successor to the 9911. Is JVC consumer support pretty good at answering emails or should I not hold my breath?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Wile_E
    Do these combo decks allow you to dub to mini-dv and output via s-video at the same time?
    On the DVS3U, I can dub to minidv and output to via s-video at the same time. I have the DVS3U hooked up to my M30 by the s-video inputs. I can make a copy of a camcorder tape on the DVS3U and record to the M30 at the same time.

I've always believed that the DVS3U had a 2MB buffer. I checked the manual, but I couldn't find anything about it. I could be wrong though. The B+H site mentions a 4MB buffer too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dr_Layne
    I never knew that such a thing even existed but it looks like a JVC VCR ... even the remote looks exactly like a JVC remote.

Considering the "brand new MIB" status it might just be worth it.

Quote Quote