VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Are DVD-R/RAM drives any good?

Or should I go for a DVD-R/RW drive instead?

Or should I wait for a drive that does DVD-R/RW/+R/+RW/RAM?

Thanks,

David
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-RAM is the worest thing u can waste ur money on.

It has like 1% compatibility in set tops n only one or two companies support it.

1.) U will never get one that burns to all formats.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That's not an easy question to answer: DVD-RAM may look poor - but future DVD recorders may well have DVD-RAM recording/play as standard - then DVD-RAM burners may not be such a bad idea after all. But for now - DVD-RW seems the most compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi:

I just got my Panasonic LF-D311 DVD-R/DVD-RAM and it's just great.

I got it because I have the Panasonic DMR-E20 DVD-R/DVD-RAM recorder that I use to record satellite programs and to transfer my old VHS tapes. The quality is excelent and now I can take my DVD-RAM and put it in my PC to transfer to XVCD's, etc.

The Panasonic LF-D311 doesn't write to DVD-RW, only DVD-R/DVD-RAM, but because DVD-R is going so cheap now I don't really care about DVD-RW's.

Also DVD-RW has an average read/write life of 1,000 times and DVD-RAM has a life of 100,000 read/write times.

And DVD-RAM in the PC acts just like a 4.7GIG hard drive, so it's excelent for backups.

In my opinion, a DVD-R/DVD-RAM drive, is a great combination.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kwag on 2001-12-28 19:35:51 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well if it can write to DVD-R then ur set.

U have DVD-R if u wanna output to a set top DVD player.

N u have DVD-RAM if u want to backup.
    Quote Quote  
  6. They're also about 100-150 dollars cheaper than the next closest right now - you can pick them up for $309.00 (pricegrabber.com). I haven't seen any of the other burners below about $420.
    Quote Quote  
  7. DVD-R/DVD-Ram is great as long as you only want to use it on your computer, forget trying to get a DVD-R to play in stand-alone DVD players I have friends who have burned 4-5 DVD-R's with none being able to play in any standard DVD players, now if you can afford the panasonic DVD-R/Ram home recorder for $1000, then you are set and forget about dubbing any DVD movies with any DVD-R home recorder they have the Copy Mangment System built in prohibbiting copying from any DVD movie or program with it incoded on it and it can not be bypassed, has nothing to do with macrovision, the chip is built into the machine and impossible to bypass, 1st used in the Sony Mini disc recorders, which I owned and there was no way around CMSS system.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry to have to disagree, but I own a Samsung DVD-RAM\R (MR-A02 or similiar I can't quite remember exactly). I have only burned 2 DVD-Rs so far, but they both worked on my DVD player first time.
    FYI my DVD player is a Samsung 709 (notoriously picky), and I burned using ULead Movie Factory after capturing with Virtual Dub and converting with TMEPenc.

Hope this is useful.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The serial copy management system works only on digital recordings. You can simply plug the s-video output of your (macrovision disabled) dvd player into the s-video input on your stand alone dvd recorder and it will record it.

Of course the quality wont be quite as good as a direct digital recording but to be honest, you probably wouldn't even notice the difference.
    Quote Quote