VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there

I'm not going to tear what hair I have left out over this, but I'd kinda like to get it working if i can.

I have an mpeg-2 video converted fron Xvid using TMPGenc plus that works perfectly in WMP and PowerDVD.

It's stored on a seperate HDD. I have 2 master HDD's that I interchange when needed. On the 2nd drive when I open the same file there is no sound and it freezes about 20 secs. in. Ctrl-Alt-Del shows WMP not responding with 100% CPU usage, yet this does not happen on the 1st drive.
    Video plays fine in PowerDVD. Xvid codecs, WMP codecs, AC3 filter were all previously installed on this drive.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm a bit confused .... you have two master HDDs. Does this mean Windows is installed on each, or are you using the same Windows install each time ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    I'm a bit confused .... you have two master HDDs. Does this mean Windows is installed on each, or are you using the same Windows install each time ?
    Hi there

Yep, they are identical installs, one is has far less programs installed (and yes I tried to think of a better way to describe it and it IS confusing)

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ahhhh OK then. Straight away I say corruption - be it in the file itself, your codecs, or something to do with WMP.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ahhhh OK then. Straight away I say corruption - be it in the file itself, your codecs, or something to do with WMP.
    Hi there

I figured that part out. Was hoping that I could narrow it down a bit

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by epoxpro
    Well .... what have you tried ?

Recopied the file from the hard drive that works fine ?
    Reinstalled the relevant codecs?

That rules out 2 of the 3 straight away.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by epoxpro
    Well .... what have you tried ?

Recopied the file from the hard drive that works fine ?
    Reinstalled the relevant codecs?

That rules out 2 of the 3 straight away.
    Hi there

I should have mentioned that in my post. I copied the file from the 2nd HDD to a folder on the OS drive, still froze (and also there's no sound as well). Downloaded and installed the WMP codec pack from Microsoft. So I just re-installed that. As I said it works perfectly on my other drive, but not on this one? I guess that just leaves WMP itself?

Cheers (And thanks for your help as well)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Now you know why it pays to put as much info as possible in your first post. We're not fricken mind-readers !

... So plays fine in PowerDVD on both HDDs, plays fine in WMP on 1st HDD but is very problematic in WMP on 2nd HDD ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Time to run DiskDoctor or whatever that Windows program is called... AND/OR the hardware diagnostic of that specific drive. I'd be worried.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now you know why it pays to put as much info as possible in your first post. We're not fricken mind-readers !

... So plays fine in PowerDVD on both HDDs, plays fine in WMP on 1st HDD but is very problematic in WMP on 2nd HDD ?
    Hi there

Yep, spot on. Works fine on Drive1 but will not play correctly on Drive2 (lets say). Both drives opening EXACTLY the same video from the same loaction.
    For a bit more info the video opens correctly, but has no sound, plays for 20 secs. and freezes. Opening task manager shows 100% CPU usage and WMP "Not Responding". I've checked everything I can think of and Googled every combination of message I can.

To kchang my drive comes up trumps. Used the Seagate diagnostic program and it registers no errors and eveything else is working just fine.
    Computers

Cheers

EDIT: I just installed Stinky's MPEG-2 Codec Installer and it WORKS!
    Cheers to all who helped.
    Quote Quote