VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying to do 1080i to 480i dvd conversions from hdtv. It looks ok but I did test one out on a hdtv at my sister's house and it was really jerky movement. But it looks ok as far as I can tell on a regular tv.

What I've been using is tmpgenc and not doing any deinterlacing or pulldown or the like. I just tell it to go from interlace to interlace. But my question is HOW DO YOU DETERMINE THE FIELD ORDER?

Is there a surefire way to always get the correct field order for the conversion??? 720p is so easy to convert because you just tell tmpgenc its a progressive source and thats it. But with interlace I'm still not 100% sure.

What programs can read the .ts file and tell me what the field order is to ensure a proper 1080i to 480i encoding??? Because I'd like to be able to make a dvd from a 1080i source that looks good on a hdtv AND a standard (I only have a standard tv myself). I don't want to have to deinterlace it if I have to because I imagine that will add a CONSIDERABLE amount of processing time - I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks again for all the great help. My 720p to 480p discs look GREAT
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-

But my question is HOW DO YOU DETERMINE THE FIELD ORDER?

Open it in DGIndex and run the Preview.

And if these are movies, I think you'd also best IVTC them back to 23.976fps progressive film.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Hi-

But my question is HOW DO YOU DETERMINE THE FIELD ORDER?

Open it in DGIndex and run the Preview.

And if these are movies, I think you'd also best IVTC them back to 23.976fps progressive film.
    Ok I'll check out dgindex. Actually they are tv shows. Thanks
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi-

Most TV shows these days are also shot on film, have a native framerate of 23.976fps, and could also benefit from IVTC. Good luck.
    Quote Quote