VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sony DV camcorder and transfer the tape to my pc using WinDV (works fine) and use AVI2DVD with QuEnc or FreeEnc to encode and make a .iso file then burn the .iso file with DVD Decryptor. Everything seemingly works, but when I play the DVD in my home player everytime there is movement on the film you can see the pixels across the person moving. Anyway of fixing this or is it just because it is all free software? It happens just as bad with 5 pass encoding as 2-pass. Also the screen seems to be stretched and gives everthing that "fat" look. I assume this is because the Sony records at 1:1 and AVI2DVD recorded at 4:3: Any ideas?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You didn't mention model #, but I'll take your word that you have a Sony DV camcorder...

The Sony DOESN'T record 1:1. (Assuming NTSC) It either records 4:3 DV (where each pixel has 11/10 high/wide structure) or 16:9 DV (anamorphically squeezed). AND it's interlaced.

Problem sounds like you're setting the MPEG encode for Field-Duplicated Deinterlaced or ITVC (when it certainly doesn't warrant it) and are setting the aspect ratio to 16:9 when it should be 4:3 (or vice versa, etc).
    Has nothing to do with "free" or not.

Why don't you go through your steps, settings?...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using TMPGENC for about a year, which did a good job, but was slow - about 4 minutes for every minute of video on my P4 1.4GHz computer. I recently started using Cinemacraft Encoder Basic, and it takes just a little over 1 minute for every minute of video, and I think the output looks better than with TMPGENC. I put my settings at 8 Mb/sec, CBR, just like I did with TMPGENC.
    I've never used the programs you've used.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for a quick response. Should warn you I am sort of a newbie who has been going at this and quickly learning for a couple weeks now.

OK, Sony camcorder is nothing high end. I want to say it is a DCR-trv250 (or 350) cant remember and dont have it with me. Steps are:

1.) Transfer home video to PC with IEEE 1394 firewire using WinDV to a type2-avi

2.)Open AVI2DVD, load avi file, aspect ratio at 4:3, Deinterlace is NOT checked, fps:= 29.97, resolution 720 X 480

3.) Encode and create .iso file, use QuEnc with "Use VBR", "Use hi qualtiy", "Use Trellis Quant", "2 Pass Encoding" all checked.

4.) Run it, come back hours later, burn .iso using DVD Decryptor.

I think that covers it, I dont really see any other settings to change. I have pretty much used all the "default" settings that online guides have suggested, again, being a Newbie. Anything else I am leaving out to give you a better idea?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. I use QuEnc with my DV-AVI all the time with (IMHO) excellent results, but I suspect that AVI2DVD is not setting it up as well as it could. QuEnc has alot more options than the few you described (I'm assuming those are the options listed in AVI2DVD).
    Try this: While encoding open QuEnc open the Advanced Settings and see how the Aspect Ratio and Interlaced Encoding options are configured. If AVI2DVD is not specifically setting these in the command line options then QuEnc will use whatever the settings were the last time it was manually configured. If AVI2DVD is not setting these properly then abort and close QuEnc, open it directly and make the changes, close it and reopen AVI2DVD and try/check again. If it changes them back to the wrong values, then there is a bug in AVI2DVD, if it doesn't, then you know that AVI2DVD doesn't properly address them (not a bug, but an oversight that should be corrected).

Give it a try and let us know what you find. Also note what bitrate it's being encoded at and what the Max bitrate is set for (or if AutoMax checked).
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try DIKO, there is a freeware version. Im quite certain it will accept AVI and DV in the freeware version. I can't be certain as I have the Gold version of DIKO and am on a university computer which won't let me install DIKO to verify this.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks gadgetguy, I think you may be right. I opened QuEnc seperatley and bitrate was 2500. also aspect ratio was 4:3. Being that Ive learned from above that Sony records at 4:3, should I leave this at 1:1? In other words is it taking my already recorded 4:3 and doing it again? Thus the "fat" image. Any other recommended settings on the QuEnc program (seperate from AVI2DVD)?

EDIT: Looking back at it bitrate is just audio isnt it (newbie)? I think the "MPEG-2 Only Settings" are what I need to adjust. Im guessing I should check the "Interlaced Encoding" & "Top Field First". Any advice ont the "DC Precision" and "Pulldown". Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. I opened QuEnc seperatley and bitrate was 2500. also aspect ratio was 4:3. Being that Ive learned from above that Sony records at 4:3, should I leave this at 1:1? In other words is it taking my already recorded 4:3 and doing it again?
    But did you check it while it was encoding? That's the only way to see what AVI2DVD set the parameters to.

DV-AVI from Camcorders is interlaced, BFF. You should have Interlaced Encoding checked but TFF unchecked. I usually have the DC Precision set to 10 and pulldown only applies if your source is 23.976 fps (which in this case, it's not). If the source is 4:3 then you want to set the encoder to 4:3 to maintain the correct AR.

The bitrate setting on the main screen is for video only, as is the Max Bitrate setting. Audio bitrate is set in the audio parameters and is clearly marked Audio Bitrate. It's important to consider what the audio bitrate is when determining the bitrate you want to use for Video because the combined bitrate is what is specified in the DVD specs, so as you increase the audio bitrate you need to decrease the video bitate to compensate. How long is the video that you're trying to encode?

If the Video bitrate that AVI2DVD set is 2500 and the resolution is 720x480 it's no wonder you're seeing artifacts as that is totally inadequate. For camcorder footage it usually requires a much higher bitrate because of the lens/electronics noise that's inherent in consumer grade camcorders.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dont have the file I ran with me so I cant check what I ran the "not so good" copy at. But on a 30 second sample of it I did here it said bit rate was 7616 Kbpps. The audio bitrate setting was 384 on AVI2DVD.

The video i am ultimately trying to get to DVD is 90 minutes long. What would be an ideal btirate setting?

EDIT: Or I guess I could just check the automax bitrate? Then set the audio at what?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Check it with a bitrate calculator like this one (click here) to determine the average bitrate. That calculator tends to be a little conservative so you can usually go a little higher if you aren't happy with the results, but I've always just gone with what it advises. (It just ends up leaving a little unused spot at the end of the disk.) I usually keep my maximum at 9000 (and don't use auto) to leave a little leeway for players that struggle if the bitrate gets too close to max.

Edit: Because of the inherent noise with Camcorder footage, there may be some difficulty in putting 90 minutes on a single layer DVD, but only you can judge if the results are good enough for you. I've never really done more than about an hour, and that allows me to keep the bitrate close to the max.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll try it with the actually file tonight and update.

Thanks for all the help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hadn't much more to add, as I don't use those tools. I stick more w/ Vegas/Premiere for editing, TMPGEnc/Mainconcept for conversion/encoding, and DVDA/Maestro for authoring. Don't really encounter problems like that there.

But I think gadgetguy has you on the right track...

Scoot
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, did everything as discussed it ran at 7616 kbpps and same problem with the pixels, I am having someone with a vcr dvdr combo drive try it to see if its actually the tape and not the programs but I really dont think it is, otherwise i give up!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post a couple of screen captures of the problem ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  15. otherwise i give up!!!!!!!
    Patience is a key ingredient to working with video.

OK, did everything as discussed it ran at 7616 kbpps and same problem with the pixels
    That's a little vague. What were the results at each stage of "everything as discussed". Is AVI2DVD addressing all of the fields in QuEnc or just the few on the main screen? What changes did you make to try to get different results? Is the screen still "fat"? Did you try it without "Trellis Quant"?
    And as suggested, screenshots would help.
    How to upload screenshots (Click here)
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dont actually have the disc with me to post a screen shot, not sure if you read the earlier portion of the thread, but any sudden/quick movements on the movie shows up blurry and "pixelized." Portions where there isnt any movement the picture is fantastic. I dont know, maybe I just have a crappy camera???
    Quote Quote  
  17. Unfortunately, words are usually inadequate to describe a video problem. What you've described would be normal on a computer screen showing interlaced footage and shouldn't show at all when played back to a TV.

But you said that you are seeing it when played back on your DVD player which I assume is hooked up to a normal TV. This normally would indicate that the video was encoded wrong by either deinterlacing or reversing field order, but it's possible that what you're seeing has nothing to do with interlace.

Look at the MPG2 video through something like VirtualDubMPEG2 or VirtualDubMod and get to an area where the problem is and step through frame by frame to get a good representation of the problem and then go to Video/Copy Source Frame to Clipboard. Then open Paint and Edit/Paste then send a screenshot. I know you can't do that right now, but do it when you can, we'll still be here.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    we need a visual on what "pixelized" is. It could be intelace lines or it coult be digital artifacts. You mention the video is 90min..are you recording in LP mode on your camera? If so you might want to switch it down to SP mode (this is assuming the pixellation is an issue with the camera head reading the data on tape).

this shouldn't happen at all but is less likely in SP mode. but again i'm going off assumptions that I won't know are right until we can see a visual.
    Quote Quote