VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My first Zorilla filter from a few years ago appears to have died - black scrolling lines appear after I've left the thing plugged in for a few hours. So it's time to get a new one, and I'm wondering whether you guys have any experience with the following few:

http://www.stardevelopment.com/videomagicdvd.htm
    http://www.barrel-of-monkeys.com/graphics/prod/dvdauthoring/videographerB.shtml

I'm hoping to use s-video, which rules out the Red Pro and a couple others.
    I'd be using this in a dvd-player to Panasonic dvd-recorder hookup.

Alternatively, I'm considering just getting a TBC for the primary purpose of eliminating the macrovision and cgms signals. I've seen the AVT-8710 recommended in a few posts - do you guys think this would be the best option for accomplishing this goal without paying a ton? Does this thing ever "wear out" like my previous filter did?

Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I own a similar device, and the thing only removes macrovision. Any noticeable video "stablization" is questionable at best.

Your title states - Different video filters/TBC. I think you already know these devices are no substitues for a good TBC. If you're gonna spend $60 to $100 for this device, you mine as well "camp out" on eBay and find yourself a good TBC.

A good TBC will do what you want and more. Go ahead and spend another $50 and get something decent (that should not wear out). I have been watching "good" TBCs on eBay (for the last several months) go for around $150...

I have never used a 8710, cause they look kinda cheap. I have a Datavideo and Feral TBC and I can honestly say the difference between a consumer and commercial TBC are night and day!!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks ricky d. I think at this point I'm leaning towards the TBC - do you have suggestions of ones for me to look at other than the 8710? I've read through the TBC buyer's guide and didn't see discussion many different models there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This will vary widely from person to person with many different opinions. In my experience (testing) with 4 different external TBCs; I think it's a good idea to hold on to 2 different units for mild to heavy treatment [I have used the For A, Feral, Datavideo, and Sony external TBCs] - I kept the 2 below...

In my opinion the Datavideo 1000 / 3000 is a consumer type of TBC, giving a mild treatment to a misaligned video source. I know many would disagree with the following statement: but I believe this device does not really do shit to most tapes. I use it for tapes that look pretty decent, and do not need a lot of treatment - It helps a little to sinc and clean the video, and smooth out the lines / edges.

Then I have the Feral A. This device is realy impressive with bad tapes. It can clean and lock the image like no other TBC that I have sene before. However, it's a bit "harsh" on the image. Your colors will be a bit off and you may have some scan lines through the video. This would deter most, but when you have a device that can clean all of the "flagging" and "artifacting" on old tapes, I think it's definately an invaluable tool. Especially if you have a proc amp and detailer (and a possible SW treatment) - this can really do wonders with tapes that look bad everywhere else.

I know it's a little confusing, but IMO 1 device will not be a "cure all" to all of your analog / conversion problems. If you're just doing a DVD to DVD transfer, than the answer is simple. Just use a Datavideo or 8710 since its digital and not a whole lot of clean up needs to be involved...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great, thanks again. Should there be any problem in hooking this up with my Panasonic recorder if it has a tbc built in (I'm assuming a line-based one)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope - The models listed above are full frame TBCs, they use different modes of correction / stabilization. You should have no problems, if you do just disable the linear TBC or unhook the external full frame device.

You will have to play with the different combinations...
    Quote Quote