VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I just updated my iTunes sofware and my video iPod software and now videos that I converted (from avi and vob files etc...) with ffmpegx will not transfer to my iPod anymore. They all worked perfectly before. Here's the catch, only videos that I change the info on (name, genre etc...) stop working - the old ones still play. I am at a loss as to what I should do. Is anyone else having this problem?
    I restored my iPod with the old firmware but the same thing happens. I'm thinking that it's the new iTunes software just not allowing me to transfer them on.
    Help would be much appreciated!
    I really wish I hadn't updated my software now

note: vids that i converted with podner (another avi -> ipod converter) are still working. The problem seems to only be with videos i used ffmpegx to convert
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yup.

I can say the same, after updating as well, ffmpegx encodes will not transfer anymore.

Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I updated iTunes and transferred an "iPod for TV" file successfully. Please send me test files zipped together a ffmpegX preset file of settings used to encode them, by using www.yousendit.com to major4@mac.com.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the problem seems to be with the new ipod firmware AND itunes 6

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=309676&tstart=0

Seems like everyone is having problems with it!

I used the new built in feature in itunes to convert a file - it transferred to the iPod just fine... then I went to info->options and changed the type to 'tv show' ... and now it won't transfer ... there must be huge bugs in both the ipod firmware and the itunes software. I'm hoping they come out with a fix asap!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Aha. I didn't update my firmware indeed. Send mails to Apple and ask them to act.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Same here! Exactly the same, in fact.

However, i was having trouble with FFmpegX before the iTunes/QT update. Whenever i'd convert a file, it didn't matter what format, divx, MOV, mpeg, it kept giving me an mpeg-4 audio and video file, as well as a very large WAV. (3 seperate video files) This was especially bad with videos encoded with Sorenson Video 3.

If there's a way to fix this, let me know! I love the speed at which ffmpegx converts files, and i miss the ability to demux mpegs. (QT doesn't do that)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I drop converted files -directly- into the iPod (through the iTunes interface). The file never actually goes "into" iTunes (never appears in iTunes).

No problems doing this with older or newer version of iPod firmware or older or newer version of iTunes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great news.

Thanks. Going to try that one as soon as I get home.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.

No love.

Tried to drop them in directly to the iPod icon, but didn't copy over.

I've tried all my previous encodes that worked just last week for me, and now won't.

I've downgraded my iPod firmware back to 1.0, but that didn't seem to work.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "iPod icon"? Do you mean the mounted iPod in the Finder? I was talking about dropping the file directly into the iPod as it appears on the left side of the iTunes window.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No.

As you said, right on to the iPod as it appeared in the iTunes window. I get the + marking to add, but it doesn't copy over. I've tried with various files that I've encoded with other programs - Podner, iSquint, FFMPEGX, etc…

Only ones that have been encoded using H.264 will copy over, none of the MPEG-4 encodes sized over 480X480 will go.

Still scratching my head over it all.

Heading over to Macworld, and see if I can shake some trees.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    480x480 is the max size (230,400 pixels) that the iPod will accept for MPEG4. You may go wider (or taller) but the total pixels must not exceed 230,400.

H264's max is 320x240 (76,800 pixels). Again, other ratios are okay as long as you respect the 76,800 limit.

See this thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=290011
    Quote Quote