VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 88
Thread
  1. Member daamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cobra
    Originally Posted by daamon
    "What is the best car?"
    My car, without a doubt.
    Ah yes... Reliant Robin's are excellent for the student - economical, easy to park, loads of room for your mates to pile in the back, easily convertible to a shag-mobile (mattress in the back), and they're used by the stars...

    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

    Carpe diem.

    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  2. "What's the best" is just another way of saying that they need help and/or suggestions. Personally, I don't see why everyone gets so upset. Yes, we know that there are too many variables to ascertain what's best for every situation but this is just a word they're using. For God's sake, lighten up a little and have a little compassion and understanding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Greetings Supreme2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Captain315
    "What's the best" is just another way of saying that they need help and/or suggestions. Personally, I don't see why everyone gets so upset. Yes, we know that there are too many variables to ascertain what's best for every situation but this is just a word they're using. For God's sake, lighten up a little and have a little compassion and understanding.
    The same can be said in defense of the people who get "upset" over the "best" threads. There is no High Ground in regards to a message board. If you get upset at others because they are upset about something else, it just becomes a vicious cycle.

    There is really no "wrong" response when dealing with a (opinion) forum. The false adage "If you don't like (the post), don't read/respond" has been replaced by "If you don't like the post, FLAME ON!" (paraphrased from "If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out.'")
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member vhelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Search Comp PM
    Now normally, I stay out of debates, but..

    For crying out loud.. I say, leave it alone.
    Just ignore it if you're tired of seeing it.

    (I'm becoming bored of hearing of complains of various
    'cycling words' that (all of the sudden) become current
    problems)

    Me, what I do is, I just MOUSE over to the baloon to
    get a quick view of the topic. If its interesting,
    I'll open it. It not, I just move along.. that easy
    LOL --

    -vhelp 3752
    Quote Quote  
  5. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    FLAME ON!


    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEORGIA US
    Search Comp PM
    I don't really know the best way to put this.
    Maybe it would be best if I didn't even try.
    I really think I have the best solution.
    Or at least I'll give it my best try

    Do you want the the best price?
    Or do you want the best performance out there?
    Do you want the best support?
    Or do you just want the best answer?

    Well then, you have come to the best place.
    You have asked the best members.
    But it is best now to cover your ass
    Because the best are about to flame you to embers!

    The best solution?
    Give it your best try.
    Use your best self control.




    Sorry, it's the best I can come up with, with my limited resources.
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZAPPER
    I don't really know the best way to put this.
    Maybe it would be best if I didn't even try.
    I really think I have the best solution.
    Or at least I'll give it my best try

    Do you want the the best price?
    Or do you want the best performance out there?
    Do you want the best support?
    Or do you just want the best answer?

    Well then, you have come to the best place.
    You have asked the best members.
    But it is best now to cover your ass
    Because the best are about to flame you to embers!

    The best solution?
    Give it your best try.
    Use your best self control.




    Sorry, it's the best I can come up with, with my limited resources.
    That's the best laugh I've had in the last few hours. Wish my best friend was here to share in it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Best damned poem I've read all night. )
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEORGIA US
    Search Comp PM
    It might be best if I stick to construction.
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Disgustipated TooLFooL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Opium Den
    Search Comp PM
    my car's better
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  11. Here is a very simple solution to your "best" quandary.
    Quit being so damned smug and pretentious and just answer people when they ask questions on a post by post basis.

    If, for whatever reason, you are sick and tired of having to do so, having explained again and again the subjective nature of the term, then by all means ignore the post and move on. Let others take over the task.

    This thread comes off as nothing more than a bunch of pseudo-experts who think they know something trying to come off as actual experts to those who are less informed.

    As is often the case in such things, it is the pseudo-experts who are actually in need of edification. Certainly in a number of instances it is NOT true that there is no objective answer to a question involving superlatives. Many people here even tried to explain their annoyance with these questions by pointing out that "best" can have many dimensions: file size, fidelity, encoding speed, etc.. So what? This merely implies that posters be more specific about their questions. To claim that there are no legitimate questions that employ the term "best" or even that there is no answer to SPECIFIC questions about video quality that involve this term is simply misinformed. In fact, these determinations are what real video professionals are PAID to make, every day.

    At the very least, the suggestions put forth in this thread are unhelpful. At worst, they are condescending and sophomoric.

    Isn't the purpose of this forum to offer help to those who are seeking answers to problems? Or is it merely to massage the fragile egos of self-proclaimed (and dubiously so) experts?
    Besides, if everyone were an expert, there would be no need for this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member tekkieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Over the hill
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DeusExMachina
    Here is a very simple solution to your "best" quandary.
    Quit being so damned smug and pretentious and just answer people when they ask questions on a post by post basis.

    If, for whatever reason, you are sick and tired of having to do so, having explained again and again the subjective nature of the term, then by all means ignore the post and move on. Let others take over the task.

    This thread comes off as nothing more than a bunch of pseudo-experts who think they know something trying to come off as actual experts to those who are less informed.
    It might be "best" not to be so smug to the site administrator....

    ...or to revive 7 month old threads to do it....
    Quote Quote  
  13. I do not think that it is the "best" interpretation to view my post as smug. Perhaps ranckled, at best. I certainly do not feel that I was "exhibiting or feeling great or offensive satisfaction with [my]self or with [my] situation" (American Heritage Dictionary) -- instead, I responded with the best of intentions.

    As for replying to posts made by the site administrator, while it is true that it might be best for me to avoid rancor, if he is such that he takes offense to what I wrote, so be it. I have never been one to censor myself to placate the powers that be, or to be quiet when I had best be silent, especially when they need a reality check. And if one can't take criticism, perhaps one would be best to refrain from posting such things in the first place.

    It is all well and good to kvetch and moan about the great unwashed masses, but in some contexts it makes you come off as, at best, callous and arrogant.

    As for reviving 7 month old threads, it is the thread that prompted it, so it seemed best not to bother starting a new one just to point out the foolishness of the original.

    Best Regards
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member daamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DeusExMachina
    At the very least, the suggestions put forth in this thread are unhelpful.
    All of them? Call me self-indulgant but my intent was to be constructive in this post - and I think I achieved that. Still, no offence taken. I was also hoping that individuals could use it to get past any annoyance they may encounter when the word "best" is used, by providing them with a stratagem with which to respond to requests that they would otherwise ignore or would be less inclined to provide their best help.

    Originally Posted by DeusExMachina
    It is all well and good to kvetch and moan about the great unwashed masses...
    I learnt a new word! Thank you. I would doth my cap to you, if I were wearing one - your articulatory skills are admirable.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

    Carpe diem.

    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Without added criteria, "best" is a meaningless word.

    The whole problem is lazy ass people come to the site, read nothing, do no research and ask some bland crap question like "what is the best software to author DVDs". After a while, you get tired of seeing such things.

    And while it may be fun to say "just don't answer those question", such things are forum clutter that can easily be avoided by banning the word altogether from thread titles. Save the forum for people that ask questions with some real substance. Such as "what is good software to author a DL disc with subtitles and dual audio". Now that's a question with some criteria to consider, and will yield a good answer.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Член BJ_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Search Comp PM
    so what is the best solution ?
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member daamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    so what is the best solution ?
    Careful - The site's "boss" is considering banning the word "best". See this thread...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

    Carpe diem.

    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Член BJ_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Search Comp PM
    well that is best left up to those that know best, what is best for us, in the best possible manner and best delivery.
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member thecoalman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DeusExMachina
    To claim that there are no legitimate questions that employ the term "best" or even that there is no answer to SPECIFIC questions about video quality that involve this term is simply misinformed. In fact, these determinations are what real video professionals are PAID to make, every day.
    True but these best threads are usually non-specific questions. What's the "best" method for transferring my VHS... is a frequent one. Suggesting $10,000 worth of equiment may be the best but it's certainly not going to help the person posing the question in most cases when a minimal investment could give almost the same return.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEORGIA US
    Search Comp PM
    Well, just for fun, the next time someone ask for the best without quantifying or setting parameters, just reply with one word...."DEPENDS"
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ZAPPER
    Well, just for fun, the next time someone ask for the best without quantifying or setting parameters, just reply with one word...."DEPENDS"
    http://www.depend.com/products/products_all.asp

    Like that?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEORGIA US
    Search Comp PM
    Depends
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEORGIA US
    Search Comp PM
    Just curious, is everyone up early or up late?
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member thecoalman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ZAPPER
    Just curious, is everyone up early or up late?
    The best answer for that depends on how you look at it. :P

    I was at a huge party Sunday/early Monday and missed most of the rest of Mon. I'm geting too old for that stuff. Could be I could drink until dawn , get a few hours slepp and be ready to go. Ahh the good ol days of my youth.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    All people are looking for when they ask for "the best such and such" is what your opinion is on what you like. Don't take it so literally. Sheesh!!
    44E
    Quote Quote  
  26. Exactly. While one might question their choice of words, it is pretty clear what the intent is, and I do not see why questions can not be answered in that spirit. Certainly such draconian and dogmatic responses such as banning subject titles is unhelpful. If this had stayed simply a joke amoungst the literati here, it would have been one thing, but it very quickly became apparent that people posting in this thread were actually serious. So it seemed a perfect opportunity to use the word "kvetch."
    Besides, there is NOTHING wrong with their question, as posed. Best, as a superlative, means the superior option or options amoungst a list of three or more. As such, in a field of many options, with any number of sub par offerings, there are usually some that outperform the bottom two. Thus these items as a group constitute the "best."

    "Without added criteria, "best" is a meaningless word."

    So ask for those criteria.

    "The whole problem is lazy ass people come to the site, read nothing, do no research and ask some bland crap question like "what is the best software to author DVDs". After a while, you get tired of seeing such things."

    Why do you assume they have done no research? I find that very doubtful. In fact, I find it much more likely that they have done extensive research, and, due to reasons you might cite in complaining about questions including the word "best," have failed to discover an answer. This is your opportunity to educate them.
    Or point them to a "'best' FAQ."

    "And while it may be fun to say 'just don't answer those question,' such things are forum clutter that can easily be avoided by banning the word altogether from thread titles."

    No, they are not. They are often legitimate questions, and all you are doing is forcing them to rephrase it in a way that does not irritate you. Since you can easily find out what they mean, forcing them to do so is simply dogmatic.

    "Save the forum for people that ask questions with some real substance. Such as "what is good software to author a DL disc with subtitles and dual audio". Now that's a question with some criteria to consider, and will yield a good answer."

    Oh, really? So if I asked the SAME question as "what is the best software to author a DL disc with subtitles and dual audio," suddenly there are no criteria and you have no idea what I mean, and therefore can not in any way shape or form answer my question? You don't expect that to be taken seriously, do you?
    The answer would be exactly the same, or, if you prefer, could be prefaced by "While there is no true "best" answer - best being a subjective term - (insert identical answer here.)
    That took an extra .01 calorie of effort. Eat a peanut.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEORGIA US
    Search Comp PM
    @DeusExMachina

    I like you, your are fun, you make a good arguement, sometimes a good arguement is fun (sometimes even a bad arguement is fun) It is fun to have fun. Some people say things to rev other people up just for fun. Some people vent for fun. When you stop having fun replying it is time to stop replying. Sometimes it is fun to find a hidden message in a thread.

    Me? I think the hidden message was to let posters know that sometimes more information may be needed to get a better answer.

    Eh... Not the best a reply, but it was fun!
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Well, kvetching is often fun, for both sides.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member daamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    Search Comp PM
    Off topic for the thread, I know - and I apologise, but...

    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by ZAPPER
    Well, just for fun, the next time someone ask for the best without quantifying or setting parameters, just reply with one word...."DEPENDS"
    http://www.depend.com/products/products_all.asp

    Like that?
    ROTFLMAO -

    Originally Posted by ZAPPER
    @DeusExMachina

    I like you, your are fun, you make a good arguement, sometimes a good arguement is fun (sometimes even a bad arguement is fun) It is fun to have fun. Some people say things to rev other people up just for fun. Some people vent for fun. When you stop having fun replying it is time to stop replying. Sometimes it is fun to find a hidden message in a thread.

    Me? I think the hidden message was to let posters know that sometimes more information may be needed to get a better answer.

    Eh... Not the best a reply, but it was fun!
    You get my vote for Mayor...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

    Carpe diem.

    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote