VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    has anyone actually done this with a dvd recorder that uses NON standard ide connectors? anyone come up with some kind of adapter to do so?

with my lg rh7521w the hard drive has normal ide connectors but the loader / burner seems to have connectors similar to what most dvd player loaders now use but the power connector for the loader looks like a floppy disk drive power connector. just want to know if its possible to replace if/when the loader dies. the data cable for the loader is just a thin white ribbon type thats only about an inch or so wide. i would almost think it possible to make an adapter for this type of cable to plug into and ide plug as the hard drive has the same little white ribbon cable but has some kind of adapter on the end that plugs into the hard drives normal ide plug. as an example like a sata to ide adapter.

the ribbons and the adapter on the ribbon for the hdd look like the following.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lol anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try this link.

http://www.area450.com/hardwaremods/driveswapindex.html[/url]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by genki500
    Try this link.

http://www.area450.com/hardwaremods/driveswapindex.html[/url]
    thanks for the help. i have used this site to replace the drives in a couple of dvd players and one dvd recorder. however as i said in the post that this dvd recorders drive does NOT use a standard pc ide connector for the dvd writer. as pictured it used thin ribbons.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A little information. DVD drives have +5VDC and a +12VDC power to them. You could take a off-the-shelf Molex Y adapter (The kind that have a Y connector to add another power socket if your PS is lacking connectors) and cut it up and wire that into the end of the existing cable.

You would need a voltmeter to determine which pins supply the power and ground. You would need to solder the connections and insulate them carefully. Learn about shrink tubing.

It's not that complicated. There are just two power wires and the rest are grounds. You can check on the net for pinouts of various connectors, but I would still check them with a voltmeter to be sure.

More complex is if your unit will recognize a new drive and if it physically fits in there properly.

EDIT: Sorry I misread your post. Your problem appears to be with the IDE connector. If it's non standard, you would have to determine what connecter brand was used and try to find it. Not easy. And you would likely need the proper punch down tool to be able to add a standard connector to the cable. Not really worth the effort unless you were desparate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanx dude. yeah the power part actually looks easy it appears to be a y connector from the power with on going to the hdd and the other going to the dvd writer. the power plug on the dvd writer looks like a floppy disk power connector actually but i can easily work that part out to get a standard dvd burner power plug on it. the hard part is the data cable. as i said in my orig post it is not a standard ide cable. its a small ribbon type cable like used in new dvd players for the dvd rom. it looks like they used the same cable for the hdd but put an adapter on the end with an ide plug for the hdd. thinking there must be a way to make an adapter or such for the dvd writer also....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    EDIT: Sorry I misread your post. Your problem appears to be with the IDE connector. If it's non standard, you would have to determine what connecter brand was used and try to find it. Not easy. And you would likely need the proper punch down tool to be able to add a standard connector to the cable. Not really worth the effort unless you were desparate.
    damn. didnt even know you could get the connectors. i was hoping it would be nice and easy like my old dvd recorder (non hdd model) used a standard ide cable. i just though since the hdd uses the same non standard ide cable but has this adapter thing on the end of the cable that has a standard ide plug for the hdd that i might be able to get the same for the writer. another is maybe if i found a cheap faulty one and tried the adapter used for the hdd on the ribbong for the dvd writer? but that just means waiting to find a cheap faulty one. anyway my recorder is fine at the moment just thinking ahead as i know optical drives can easily die.
    Quote Quote