VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. OK, I have been capturing video in DV type 2 AVIs using Scenalyzer. Everything goes fine and I end up with about 13GB file for 1 hour of video.

I have been converting to SVCD with good results using TMPGenc. However I just thought of something and I hope I am wrong.

We I playback the DV AVI via MS media player it only shows the video at half-resolution. This is fine with me as I don't watch it on the computer. But I guess the same codec is used by TMPenc as I convert to MPEG. If that is the case does TMPenc also get the video at half resolution? Or is it just a media player thing?

Thanks,
    Wes
    Quote Quote  
  2. Don't know if its a media player thing, but tpmg does get full resolution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I too have noticed poor quality with my mini-DV captures on my PC. My all in wonder display with S-Video in looks far better. Is there a codec that renders full quality of the capture?

Captain Diode
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    When you load a DV clip, under "Properties", "Advanced" there's a "DV Video Decoder" list item. Select it and then click on "Properties." You will then have the option of setting a "Quality" decoding resolution. SOMEHOW, mine had gotten set to "Half" (360x240) as the default a while back. Don't ask me how. I didn't even -know- about the setting. But if you press Alt-2 in media player and you still get a small window, it might be this setting.

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Ahhh, quality is in the eye of the beholder. You want better quality? Do straight DV captures using firewire instead of a capture card. Furthermore, cough up the extra few bucks per tape and get the good stuff. You can get pro grade tapes mail order for the same price as the crap they sell at the circuit city. It'll make a world of difference. As for codecs, I'm using the mainconcept DV codec and it works well. $50 to get rid of the watermark, but well worth it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    muddyshooz,

I appreciate your response, I will review the mainconcept DV codec. In my responce I assumed that everyone knew I used a firewire capture.

Happy New Year,
    Captain Diode ->|-
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Cap'n Diode: Ooops! I must have missed something in your post! I've learned never to assume anything. The price of age, I suppose. Please forgive ...

You might want to check out another thread that I've gotten in that could be of interest to you:

www.dvdrhelp.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=72084&forum=3

Have a good one, too!
    -Shooz.
    Quote Quote