VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Okay, I've looked for a thread like this, and did not find it. I did find threads on mp4 > DVD conversion, but not iTunes files.

Here is the deal. I recently bought two episodes of 'Lost' from iTunes. My whole family watches the show, but missed these episodes. My intent was to buy them (which I did), and have the family watch them on TV. However, there does not appear to be a good way to do that. iTunes lets you burn downloaded songs to CD, and allow you to play them on a CD player. But, I can't find a way to take this video file to DVD, so my family can watch all at once.

So, does anyone know of a program that can convert this iTunes video file to DVD?? From what I read, if there is no DVD burning program that accepts iTunes downloads, I would have to do the following: Remove DRM from the m4v file, then rename the mv4 to mp4, then convert that to mpg, then burn to DVD. But, no thread here tells me how I can remove the DRM from the m4v.

It sucks that I PAID for a program for my family to watch, but iTunes only let's me watch it on a PC. My 5 family members are not all going to sit in front of a PC to watch this all at once. So, we will all have to watch one at a time. My only other option would be a VGA to TV converter, so I can play the episode from the PC, and display it on the TV for the whole family to see.

Does anyone know of ANY kind of conversion method that will let me watch shows I paid for on TV?? Or, is my only hope the VGA to PC converter??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well you could use a screen recorder and cap it to avi then make a dvd from it. Though the quality will suffer a bit - especially depending on the codec used - and not all screen recorders do a good job of recording video in a media player.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wait for the De-DRM apps to be updated to support video I guess.

Can an iPod video output DRM'ed files to a TV? Presumably that is the idea. Make you buy a video ipod.

You knew that the files were DRM'ed before paying right? So I can't really see how you can complain.

Another option would be to download some HDTVRips of those episodes. Using some twisted logic, you bought the episodes already so it would be ok.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Wouldn't the quality of the iPod video be pretty bad if you are to use a TV card out to the TV.?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    You knew that the files were DRM'ed before paying right? So I can't really see how you can complain.
    The music that you purchase through iTunes is also DRM'ed, but the iTunes software allows you to burn your playlist into an audio CD which can then be ripped into any variety of non-DRM'ed files.

Currently, the only way to view the video files sold through iTunes seems to be either through the iTunes software itself, QuickTime Player, or a Video iPod.

If they allow you to do this with the Audio purchases, they should allow you to do it with the Video as well.

I'd like to be able to do this as well, but I'm not going to waste my time or money on iTunes video purchases if I can't watch them the way that I want to.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hmm i was looking for the exact same answer.

I purchased a bunch of the Pixar shorts and wanted to put it on DVD to let my wife watch it. Can't figure out how to do that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    Yes, I did know that the Video was DRM'd. But, so is the audio, and you can burn the audio to CD to listen to. I 'thought' iTunes software would let me burn video to DVD, the same way I could burn audio to DVD.

I purchased a TV show, that was broadcast over the airwaves for FREE. I missed a few episodes, and PAID to download them so I could watch them. This is what iTunes Video should be all about. But, if they want more people to use this, they need a better way for families to watch these shows. Even if I owned the video iPod, my family is not going to crowd around that so we can all watch the same show. Yes, you could buy the video iPod, and also pay $100 for the adapter to port it to the TV. But, that will cost around $400, and I am not going to pay that kind of money so I can watch a few shows that I miss once in a while.

More people will use this service if that can download a show once every few weeks, and not have to pay $400 to watch them. Maybe Apple can't supply software to put the videos on DVD, because the movie studios will not let them. That is okay for movie downloads, but should be allowed for TV show downloads.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guess they aren't marketing to families. My Photo iPod which I only bought to use in my car came with an adaptor and dock with S-Video. Neither of which will ever be used. I still can't believe that they sell iPod's now without cables. I mean how much can they cost Apple to make?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have my iMac's RGB output connected to my 42" SD Plasma. Playing my downloaded TV shows looks really great on the plasma. I use QuickTime Player to "Present Movie" and it makes it full screen. That said, I think it stinks that we can't burn a DVD from something we downloaded. I was at a forum a few weeks ago and someone from Yahoo video said he thought DRM would be gone in a few years. DRM is easily cracked by "bad" people and is just a pain in the neck for us "good" people.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Or you could just wait till january and be able to play all iTunes video files on your tv with the "iTV". Well thats what i'm planning on doing i converted my whole dvd library to iPod mp4 format and just have them saved on 2 500 GB externals. That way i can play any movie with the apple remote.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use TuneBite: http://tunebite.com

J.

Originally Posted by Bruce Kuhn
    Okay, I've looked for a thread like this, and did not find it. I did find threads on mp4 > DVD conversion, but not iTunes files.

Here is the deal. I recently bought two episodes of 'Lost' from iTunes. My whole family watches the show, but missed these episodes. My intent was to buy them (which I did), and have the family watch them on TV. However, there does not appear to be a good way to do that. iTunes lets you burn downloaded songs to CD, and allow you to play them on a CD player. But, I can't find a way to take this video file to DVD, so my family can watch all at once.

So, does anyone know of a program that can convert this iTunes video file to DVD?? From what I read, if there is no DVD burning program that accepts iTunes downloads, I would have to do the following: Remove DRM from the m4v file, then rename the mv4 to mp4, then convert that to mpg, then burn to DVD. But, no thread here tells me how I can remove the DRM from the m4v.

It sucks that I PAID for a program for my family to watch, but iTunes only let's me watch it on a PC. My 5 family members are not all going to sit in front of a PC to watch this all at once. So, we will all have to watch one at a time. My only other option would be a VGA to TV converter, so I can play the episode from the PC, and display it on the TV for the whole family to see.

Does anyone know of ANY kind of conversion method that will let me watch shows I paid for on TV?? Or, is my only hope the VGA to PC converter??
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I am trying to get movies that I actually have and get them onto my imac desktop and then burn a new copy. To do this I put it into a movies playlist in itunes. When I burn a movie it wont play though. Is there a way to burn them besides in itunes?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jerodwell: What you're attempting to do only really works for iTunes audio tracks, not video. (By burning the tracks to an audio CD, you can re-rip them again into whatever format you want (such as MP3).
    (Edit: Yes, I realize you're probably just trying to burn the video files to disc and watch them elsewhere.)

There's currently no known way (as far as I'm aware) to remove the additional DRM from iTunes video. Your copies on disc will still need the key(s) iTunes uses to play them, something you can't just burn to disc along with the videos.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Something you CAN do is this: use iDVD to convert files to DVD, then use handbrake to re-rip them to M4v files with out the drm. you can lose quality with this but i'm not sure.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been trying to do the very same thing - burn purchased videos to DVD.

First, I have already tried the "create a DVD using iDVD' method. iDVD knows that the movies are DRM'd and won't even let you drop them into a disk you are trying to create. So iDVD is a bust!

I have a Classic iPod (80 gig) and I bought a video out cable for my iPod that lets me plug my iPod into my VCR so I can play movies off my iPod, thru the VCR, and out the TV. I guess if I had composite inputs on my TV I could just plug the iPod cable directly into the TV. Anyway, the cable works very nicely for my wife and I to watch the movies I've purchased from iTunes.

As for making a DVD using those same movies, the closest I have come so far, and I prefer to not use it because it is very time consuming, is that I purchased a DAC-200 digital video converter that takes composite input (or S-Video) and it converts it to digital and sends it via fire-wire to my iMac where I can record it using iMovie (iMovie treats the DAC-200 as if it were a camera connected to the computer). Once it is recorded in iMovie, then I can Export it to just about any file format that Quicktime understands, including MP4 or M4V or just plain MOV that I can then bring into iDVD and burn to a standard DVD movie disk.

It's a long way around (and the DAC-200 is about $200 - so it's not cheap) but it works. BTW it doesn't do a good job of preserving a wide screen aspect ratio, but it's watchable with minimum loss of quality (in fact the end product is pretty darned good). So it's not cheap to setup, and it's time consuming, but it works.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Something you CAN do is this: use iDVD to convert files to DVD, then use handbrake to re-rip them to M4v files with out the drm. you can lose quality with this but i'm not sure. "

Wrong! See my previous post (it doesn't work - I've tried it - no go)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by MrWizard83127
    "Something you CAN do is this: use iDVD to convert files to DVD, then use handbrake to re-rip them to M4v files with out the drm. you can lose quality with this but i'm not sure. "

Wrong! See my previous post (it doesn't work - I've tried it - no go)
    ok so i was wrong sorry, (i thought of it because i had done it with some videos i converted with handbrake)
    may i ask why you needed a second post just to say "Wrong!"?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone tried the tunebite software? Does it work?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM

I think I have found a converter that works. It's called DRM buster and id the full version works as good as the trial version we are in business. I can tell you from first hand experience that Daniusoft Media Pro doesn't nor does Daniusoft Media Ultimate, both of which I have paid for. The trial version worked fine but about a minute 20 seconds into the my first full conversion the video went sideways and got worse from there. And the trial version of Tunebite was terrible. So if any of you had had experience with DRM Buster I would surely appreciate hearing from you.
    Thanks,
    Rod
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tunebite works fine on my dual core laptop although i have heard other people moan about it I've not had any problems with it.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by celtic_druid View Post
    Wait for the De-DRM apps to be updated to support video I guess.

Can an iPod video output DRM'ed files to a TV? Presumably that is the idea. Make you buy a video ipod.

Another option would be to download some HDTVRips of those episodes. Using some twisted logic, you bought the episodes already so it would be ok.

I also downloaded from iTunes. NOTHING was said when I set my account up that the video would NOT play in a DVD.

I was ripped off!!!! If it won't play in a DVD player, why bother???
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by fatbloke88 View Post
    Tunebite works fine on my dual core laptop although i have heard other people moan about it I've not had any problems with it.
    Tunebite would not work on my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DRM Buster only worked for the trial version. I bought the full version and it didn't work so I got my money back. The latest updates to Danuisoft Ultimate have it close to working (some slow parts in the audio but the video converts fine) and I think the reason is that my CPU is just too slow. If you have a faster PC it will probably work just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by jessejames View Post
    DRM Buster only worked for the trial version. I bought the full version and it didn't work so I got my money back. The latest updates to Danuisoft Ultimate have it close to working (some slow parts in the audio but the video converts fine) and I think the reason is that my CPU is just too slow. If you have a faster PC it will probably work just fine.
    Once I convert the iTunes video, what software do I use to make a DVD of the video??
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are numerous DVD burners out there, many for free. I use Joboshare DVD creator but like I say you can find many for free. Either Google free DVD burners or try Rapidshare or Filestube.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by jessejames View Post
    There are numerous DVD burners out there, many for free. I use Joboshare DVD creator but like I say you can find many for free. Either Google free DVD burners or try Rapidshare or Filestube.
    thanks for the info!

I am new to video so I don't have a clue about some things
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ron,

Contact me at ssaerocoupe1@gmail.com and I will help you out.

Best,
    Rod
    Quote Quote