I'm reposting this solution because it is deeply imbedded in my other post where I asked for help in resolving the audio/video out-of-sync problem. About 25+ minutes into the movie the audio and video gradually became more and more out-of-sync. Here's the solution to the problem ...

PROBLEM SOLVED ...

I'm using EvolutionTV to record TV programs to my iMac. The recording is NTSC using the MPEG2 codec. EvolutionTV has a MovieGate plug-in that authors the VOB files. The VOB files are complete and the audio and video are in sync.

THE PROBLEM

The problem was that I wanted to use ffmpegX 0.0.9u to author the VOB files using the file output by EvolutionTV. In all instances, after about 25 or so minutes into the movie, the audio and video were no longer in sync.

THE SOLUTION

SO ... I opened the MPEG2 output from EvolutionTV in MovieGate 2.0.0. I then started the authoring process and opened the folder where the files were created. MovieGate first demuxes the file into a .mp2 and a .m2v. The .m2v file is then converted into a .wav file. After this MovieGate normalizes the audio and creates a .ac3 file. At this point I clicked 'Stop' to stop MovieGate from processing any further.

What I was left with was a .m2v file and a .ac3 file. I was able to use ffmpegX 0.0.9u from 'Tools', 'Mux' where the .m2v file was selected for 'Video' and .ac3 was selected for 'Audio 1'. ffmpegX 0.0.9u created a muxed file, e.g., track-1.mpg and created the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder with all the respective files. I played the VOB files. The audio and video was complete and in-sync. In addition I could get MPEG2 Works 4 to work with the .m2v and .ac3 files as well.

I tested Toast Titanium 6.1.1 using the muxed file (track-1.mpg) created by ffmpegX 0.0.9u to author the VOB files for 'DVD-Video'. The audio and video was complete and in-sync.

So problem solved!!! If the out-of-sync problem is haunting you maybe this might give you a lead or two.

Jim