VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Fujitsu Siemens SCALEO 64B processor AMD64 3400+
    My problem is that USB does not work properly with my external HD. It seems as if it is USB1 i.s.o. USB2 as I got a message at the right lower corner saying something like that the drive could work faster and indicating that it was a slow USB. When I pulled out the USB-cable and put it in again it worked properly.

I therefore formatted the HD and installed the whole XP again.

The result is that I now cannot go into ”this computer” for an external HD without getting an error message when I reach the AVI-files. I just cannot open an AVI-file on an USB-external HD via ”my computer”. If I open the AVI-file direct in the mediaplayer it works ok.

I have downloaded a new ”direct X” and mediaplayer but it did not help.
    This is what the recovery info says about USB:
    822603 \AddOn\Hotfix\KB822603 USB 1.1 and 2.0 Update: This Hotfix causes a Problem with ICH5 and SATA HD !!

I downloaded hotfix but it was already updated.
    ??????
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    entire website all about USB troubles, complete with a forum:

http://www.usbman.com/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The link that isogonic posted is probably your best bet. But if you have anything else plugged into a USB port, remove it and try again.

If you can't get it working, think about Firewire instead. It has a lot less problems compared to USB for external drives.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are trying to use the USB Ports on the back of the computer (on the motherboard) or are you trying to USB header Ports (Those with cables from the motherboard typically front panel ports)?

Some motherboards have driver specific USB 2.0 drivers which work best with those header ports.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you for the help. I will try that site. I have tried all USB's both on front and back.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes it's the hardware itself. I couldn't use USB2.0 with my old motherboard, until I swapped out the ports. In theory the hardware is identical, but I guess USB2.0 is more picky.

You might also have to update your motherboard drivers/BIOS. I was having USB problems with my new setup and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I tried all of the windows remedies and it was actually a motherboard related problem.
    Quote Quote