VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what is the best format to convert .avi files to for use with iDVD. They need to be converted to something b/c they are either xvid or divx.

I had it in my mind that it would make sense to convert them to DV, but keep them in their current resolutuion - I was thinking that since it's uncompressed, the conversion would be quick, and it would not cause any loss of quality. However, it seems that DV has to be either 25 fps or 29.97 fps - at least that's how I interpret the error message I get.

I also see that when you choose the DV preset, it switches the frame rate to 29.95 fps, and the resolution to 720x480. The resolution is to the "wrong" aspect ratio - i.e. it looks like anamorphic that is not being stretched. Will I be able to get iDVD to author this as anamorphic, and have a DVD player display it correctly? Or do I need to force ffmpegx to convert to 720x400 and just give up on having it be anamorphic?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by avramd
    I had it in my mind that it would make sense to convert them to DV, but keep them in their current resolutuion - I was thinking that since it's uncompressed, the conversion would be quick, and it would not cause any loss of quality. However, it seems that DV has to be either 25 fps or 29.97 fps.
    DV (NTSC) is always 720x480, you can't keep the video in original resolution. DV25 uses a form of compression called Intraframe Discrete Cosine Transform (DCT). It is fairly similar to MPEG compression but is made up entirely of I-frames, and compressed at 5:1. DV (NTSC) has to be 29.97 fps, because DV is always interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to convert an .avi to DVD, then iDVD might not be the best tool for the job, because of the DV step. ffmpegX can convert to DVD directly. Without the fancy menus, that is.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well, the point is I do want the sexy menus.

So, how am I to handle the resolution issue? Will iDVD make the 720-480 into anamorphic so it will look right? Or do I have to letterbox it as 700x480 in a 720x480 frame myself when I convert from .avi?

I want to put multiple episodes of a TV show on a single DVD. AFAIK, ffmpegx can't author two files onto a single DVD, right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the point is I do want the sexy menus.
    I thought you might...

So, how am I to handle the resolution issue? Will iDVD make the 720-480 into anamorphic so it will look right? Or do I have to letterbox it as 700x480 in a 720x480 frame myself when I convert from .avi?
    I don't know if iDVD has options for 16:9 DV material.

I want to put multiple episodes of a TV show on a single DVD. AFAIK, ffmpegx can't author two files onto a single DVD, right?
    People with such wishes are usually pointed to Toast or Sizzle.
    Quote Quote