It's an Apex AD1500
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you try to play the disk do you see something similar to this

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can you post the serial number (from back of player)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by psx_pirate
    When you try to play the disk do you see something similar to this

No, I don't. The DVD cues up but when the movie actually is supposed to start, all I get is a lime green flashing screen.

I will have to excuse myself and post the serial number this evening, I'm about to regretfully run out the door. I can't thank you enough for all your help. Don't give up on me and if your schedule permits, please check this thread in a few hours. TY!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok ... i need the serial number and the color of the sticker that the serial number is printed on in order to find a hack that will let you play the disk ... i will check back later
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by psx_pirate
    ok ... i need the serial number and the color of the sticker that the serial number is printed on in order to find a hack that will let you play the disk ... i will check back later
    Please explain what this means. Is this somthing I'll be doing to my dvd player itself or to the copied version of this disk you want me to make?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    its an upgrade to the firmware of the player(firmware tells the player how to work with the disks its playing) ... it is done by putting a disk containing the new firmware into the player and playing the disk
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    see this page for more info http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/1500/1500_firmware.htm .... or you could just copy the disk and remove the rce protection ... updating the firmware (if its possible ... depending on the serial number of your player) will allow you to play any rce protected disk without having to make copies of them
    Quote Quote  
  10. Here's the serial number: A1500011010A0538YE08

Do you really think a company as big as Baby Einstein would make some of their disks in a format all DVD players wouldn't be able to play? It just seems like all of this is quite extensive fix for somthing like this. I could see doing this if I was buying burned copies of movies or bootleg copies from other countries or something similar. But this is a Baby Einstein DVD that someone who lives a few states away can play perfectly fine on thier DVD player. I've never encountered this problem before using a store bought DVD, only one that was a copy.

My DVD player said region 1 on the back, and is set to ntsc. The DVD itself says region 1 and ntsc. I don't understand why you think the dvd player is set to some other setting that won't read all dvd's or that this common Baby Einstein DVD won't play in all players in region 1.

As I mentioned, the DVD player is reg 1 and ntsc and so is the disc. I don't understand where the problem lies.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    where did you buy the player .... it is possible that it was sold as a multiregion player ... before the RCE protection system was developed ... the player that i own was sold this way ... (its how i wanted it) but it has been hacked with firmware that will allow rce disks to play whilst remaining region free
    Quote Quote  
  12. It was bought at Circut City. This DVD says Region 1 on the back. So it can be region 1 AND be rce protected?

Oh, and no, my player is NOT Mulit region - it says region 1 on the back of the dvd player itself.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    your player appears to be able to have its firmware changed by upgrading it by inserting a cdr with new firmware .... i suspect this was done before you bought it, but as RCE didn't exist at that time the person doing the upgrade would not be aware that the upgrade would be a problem in the future ... luckily this problem can be fixed by upgrading the firmware to prevent problems caused by RCE ... go to this site http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/1500/1500_firmware.htm and download the new firmware rom file (its a cd image) just burn the cd image that you download to a cdr/w and follow the instructions on the site to upgrade your players firmware and the disk should play (also any future disks with RCE protection will play)

p.s. the baby einstein dvds are disney releases and the disney studios are now using RCE on most dvds they now produce
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just becoz it says region 1 on the back doesnt mean its not multi region ... mine says r2 but it was bought as multiregion (and it is multiregion ... the firmware was hacked and updated by the seller)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    of caurse you could try the dvd on a friends player ... if it plays then your player is the problem ... if it doesn't play and you get the green screen then its a faulty disk, but my money would be on your player being multiregion.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Ok I d/l the file and went to open it and got that message "windows could not open this file" and did I want to "use web service to find appropriate program" or "select the program from a list". When I clicked use web service I got this
    File Type: Unknown

Description: Windows does not recognize this file type.

The following Web sites have a comprehensive list of file extensions. You might be able to find information about this file type there:
    CKNOW.COM

(it's a .rom file)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure you have the file for players with a/b/c/d serial numbers not the one for sv serial numbers ...(AD1500_ABCD_R0M0.zip filename) you will then need to extract the rom file from the .zip that you downloaded ... use winzip for this .. get it at http://www.winzip.com .. its shareware so you can use it unregistered .... once you have extracted the file (u1500am.rom) just burn it to a cd (data mode) with your usual burning app then follow instruction on the site on how to apply it to upgrade the firmware
    Quote Quote  
  18. Well I've d/l winzip and when I try to open the file I get...
    "It does not look like your system is configured to properly view this file. You may continue, but the file may look wrong." When I click continue to open this file it comes up as a just a bunch of letters and mumbo jumbo.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm starting to wonder if buying a new DVD player would be a better solution.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you dont need to open the file ... just double click the file you downloaded ... it will open in winzip ... you will then see 2 files in the winzip window ...these files will be readme.txt and u1500am.rom (if you see different files then you have downloaded the wrong file .. go back to http://www.nerd-out.com/darrenk/1500/1500_firmware.htm and get the files for players with a/b/c/d serial numbers)... ok so now you see the 2 correct files in winzip ... single click (left mouse button) on the file u1500am.rom (it will now be highlighted blue) now click on the extract button on the toolbar ... a new window will open) ... select where to extract the file (i suggest desktop as it will be easy to find) click extract .... close winzip ... you will now have a file on the desktop (or wherever you selected to extract to) named u1500am.rom ... you cannot open this file so dont try ... just open your usual cd burning software ... use data mode and burn this new file (u1500am.rom) to a cdr or cdrw ... when done go back to the download site and follow the instructions on how to update the firmware (its quite simple but you do need to press a few buttons on the player in order to apply the updated firmware ... this is explained on the site) ... once the update is complete your dvd should work
    Quote Quote  
  21. psx_pirate - thank you! What awesome instructions thanks. I followed everything exactly and the screens were exactly as the instructions said they'd be and it went perfect - BUT it didn't work. Put the DVD in that wouldn't play before and I still got the same flashing green screen. Any suggestions? Thank you so much btw, you've all been so awesome and patient with me!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a vcr connected?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I saw that it was asked earlier if the DVD worked in another player - but I didn't see an answer. Take the problem DVD to Circuit City or another store and try it in their players. They usually have a few connected to TVs.
    Steve W.
    Quote Quote  
  24. That's a great idea thanks!
    Quote Quote