VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to play several AVIs on my new Philips DVP 642/37. I burned the files with Nero Express to a 4.7GB TDK DVD+RW in Data DVD mode. However, when I inserted the disc into the player, I just got a "loading" message as the DVD whirred and ticked unwholesomely in the player.

How am I supposed to burn AVI and MPG files for this player? Data mode, ISO files, video (something to do with Nero Vision)?? I made sure I finalized the disc and wrote with disc-at-once, so I don't know what the problem is.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. i have a similar problem, and hopefully replying to this would be better than creating a new thread.

I have a lite-on lvw-5115ghc+ dvd recorder that is divx certified.
    I have activated it online and the .divx activation video plays fine

I have burnt several divx/xvid encoded avis as data onto a dvd+r, but once i put it in the dvd player it reads it as a data disc and does not allow me to play it

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Burn discs as Data Disc in Nero. Make sure the avis (especially Xvid) are not encoded with QPEL or GMC (use a file examination tool like GSpot to check) as the Philips player will not play AVIs with that type of encoding. If your avis are encoded that way, you will have to re-encode them without QPEL/GMC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just copy to a dvd or cd with Nero & play. Be sure they play on your computer first. Finalized? May not be as you should get a menu.

Subs must be in SRT format not .sub
    Quote Quote  
  5. The discs I made work perfectly on both my home PCs, but not on my Philips 642. Philips claims if the player is playing regular DVDs, the problem is with the DVD-R/DVD+RW media so I'm all ready to return my TDK media to the online retailer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The option to finalize is not available. It's greyed out and damn Nero keeps failing to open. I get an error message as soon as I open it now.

My avis are all in XVID. How do I make sure there is no QPEL invovled (first time I've ever heard of this)?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Download a copy of Gspot and it will report if your Xvids use QPEL or GMC. This was suggested earlier by oldfart13's post. If finalize is greyed out in Nero, that means it IS finalizing your discs. You should burn them as data discs. If you use Nero Burning ROM and not the wizard, it's the first option at the top under DVD.

The DVP-642 is somewhat fussy about media. I have also had some weird problems with TDK media, I think the +R kind (my burner burns both -R and +R). I would recommend sticking to Verbatim media (first choice), Fuji (second choice), and then anything else plus a prayer that it works after that. My player was much less fussy about -R media brands than +R as I best remember, but now I simply won't buy anything that's not Verbatim or Fuji, with a strong preference towards Verbatim. Your problem may be a media problem and you may be burning everything OK.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hmm, one site on the net I saw says you have to
    unfinalize itbefore you can finalize it again. I dont know if that can do it for you. How about just using -r disks?
    Quote Quote  
  9. From Nero Burning ROM select DVD-ROM (ISO), No Multisession, and press New:

Drag your files to the compilation window. Make sure no file is larger than 2 GB. Burn. Play in DVP-642.
    Quote Quote