VideoHelp Forum
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm hoping I can figure this out. So far I cannot come up with a direct 3gp to mov config that gives me the proper video in it's entirety. I've tried alot of different settings. I'd love a solution.

What I have been doing to get around this is 3GP to AVI to MOV. I have again tried tons of settings and cannot get anything that gives me the quality I want.

The fact that the quality is so minimal to begin with really makes me want to keep the quality there is intact. So far it comes out a fair amount more pixelated.

These files are so small that all the processing is fast. Does anyone know what I can do to maintain quality to it's fullest?

I'm starting to get frustated. I just want an end file that has the same resolution as the origional 3gp.

Thanks in advance (I hope)

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought Quicktime read .3gp files natively..?

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It does but I want to import to editing software to add audio to the files.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, if the editing software supports Quicktime you should just be able to import directly.

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm talking about audio software. I'm an audio guy. Peak 4 and/or Digital Performer 4 are what I want to use. They only import MOV and MPG formats. Thats why my goal is to go from 3GP to MOV. Thanks.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have QT Pro (or QTAmateur), open, save as .mov.

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I guess I should have gotten QTpro instead of this then huh? Anybody have a clue how to make it happen with this software?

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have QT 7 you can use the free QTAmateur.

FWIW, I tried converting from 3GP to .MOV with the ffmpegX preset myself and had no problems.

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FWIW, I tried converting from 3GP to .MOV with the ffmpegX preset myself and had no problems.
    Don't suppose you could post the info reprt could you?

I know my Motorolla v551 has a low framerate, the footage looks choppy, or jumpy. I'm not sure how many fps it shoots but it is not enough for fluid playback. It seems like the frames are all smooched into the first 20% of the outcome MOV file and the rest is left blank white while the audio continues in real time.

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone?

I appreciate the attempt to help. Do you think you could repeat your successful conversion and post the output text file for me to look at?

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oops, I looked just at the first few seconds when I thought it had converted properly. Now that I take a closer look I can see that ~the second half is white, just as you said.

You sure you can't use QTAmateur? VT Link.

12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That does the trick! Thank for your persistence in helping me. Much appreciated. Now to get to work!!