VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If someone (someone quite deranged) put a gun to your head and demanded you choose between the Philips DVP 630, Philips DVP 3005, or the Yamada 6200XS. What would you choose?

Ok, so I'm looking for a cheap player with multiregion capability and can play the stuff on my CDRs. Cant decide which. Help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kitano
    If someone (someone quite deranged) put a gun to your head and demanded you choose between the Philips DVP 630, Philips DVP 3005, or the Yamada 6200XS. What would you choose?

Ok, so I'm looking for a cheap player with multiregion capability and can play the stuff on my CDRs. Cant decide which. Help!
    given those choices I'd pick the Yamada 6200XS. why? because it's the largest and most heavy of the three choices and i want to make the largest impact when I smash the deranged individual in the head with this dvd plus from looking at the three it appears to be the strongest built and I'd imagine the deranged individual has a hard head.

seriously the Yamada 6200XS appears to be the better of the three. I have no personal experience with any of them though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's my reply from a previous post:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bought the 6200xs a month ago off Ebay. It did not work straight out of box (an internal power cable to the drive mechanism was disconnected - poor quality control?).

Chose this one over the Yamada 6700 as it had progressive scan. Wish I'd followed my instincts and stuck with a reliable, tested product rather than risk going for the new unknown one.

Have run divx tests on it, cannot play as high bitrate as the 6700, worse than that though, it skips MOST of my xvid files and loses audio sync very easily. Menu system is poor, can only see first 10 characters of filename. Have to aim directly at infra-red sensor from within 10 feet for remote control to work.

Go for the Yamada 6700 or wait for the next gen (Divx 6) to come out next year...

ps. Chip is Sunplus 8281D. Comparison and test results can be found on:
    http://www.divxtest.com/form/divxtest2_view.php?id_126=on
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although his intended use of the 6200xs is fair, I'd have to disagree with ROF about the build quality. I've never come across a lighter, more cheaply made dvd player than this one. The plastic is so thin it's almost translucent, wouldn't really do much damage to a deranged, gun-toting psycho.

I don't have any personal experience with the Philips ones either, although my own research would suggest they were quite good in their day, you can still pick up something better and cheaper. See old test results from:

http://www.divxtest.com/List-of-all-tested-players-Our-Top.html

The Philips uses the ESS chip, similar to my old Yamada 6100 which I recently had to upgrade as it wasn't playing most of the newly coded files. My recommendation would be to go for something with the Mediatek chip as it seems to be the most compatible. You're obviously looking for progressive scan too however and this is going to bump up the price a little. Ask yourself what you need most, Divx/Xvid compatibility or slightly improved picture when playing retail DVDs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or splurge and get a fully compliant Divx Pro player...such as the Oppo, which is also a highly rated DVD player.

http://www.oppodigital.com
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mmmmmm... Very nice. Am tempted myself, except it won't recognise Divx 6 menus and chapters... Anyone know when these might be available?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!