VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    An .avi file I have has subs, but they don't show up on playback. I heard that some codecs are missing, but they don't seem to be available for Mac software... I read something about 'VOB' subs or something?

Anyways, is there any way to encode it so that it shows the subs on playback? Any way to extract the subs maybe?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitles in separate .srt or .idx+.sub files?
    Converting to what format?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, I'm not being clear enough... The source file has subs, not seperate, but I'm 100% sure it has it.. But on playback they don't show up.. It's a .avi of an anime I downloaded (which is btw, perfectly legal, so-called fansubs, are legal to download for free, so don't bash me on that), and I read that more people have trouble with getting the subs to show up.. I read that certain codec packs should fix it, but these aren't available for Mac offcourse (I think they're not at least). My final goal is converting the file to the PSP format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know they're out there, but I've never seen such a file. You may need to extract the subtitle stream first. Maybe our friendly neighbors know more.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Posted there as well, thanks for the tip...

But, you're talking about extracting the sub streams first... How do I do this? I can't seem to figure it out with ffmpegX? And if I manage to do so, what is the fastest way to get the subbed PSP file? Re-econding the avi file first with the subs burned in it? And then encoding it to the PSP format?

Thanks for your help so far in any case. :P
    Quote Quote