VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

i have been burning backup dvdr's for several years now. i have used expensive players and cheap players, but they all seem to stop playing dvd-r's after about 1 year.

Is this a common problem, or am i just buying the wrong players? Right now i have a pioneer, an apex and a sanyo. the apex quit playing dvd-r after about 6 months, but still plays original stamped dvd's. sanyo is still going strong and my oldest, the 3 year old pioneer is starting to flake out on some dvd-r's.

any comments appreciated

thanks
    jim
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ive got a Pioneer that refuses to quit, its over 2.5 years old. The only reason I upgraded was to get the 642 so I can play Divx. Only, Im ending up just playing cropped MPEG files off data disk instead. The Pioneer I have will do DVD, SVCD and VCD. The Philips will do all that plus MP3, JPEG, Divx and MPEG. Now I dont have to re-encode all my Tivo movies and generate DVD VOBs and such, just drop them on a data DVD and watch them! Im happy as a pig in mund!
    I have been into computers since 1980. Ive been tinkering with DV in one flavor or another since 1990.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ive also had some Apex units that I got rid of, and they still played!
    I have been into computers since 1980. Ive been tinkering with DV in one flavor or another since 1990.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would try having the laser cleaned on the Player. If you clean them they will normally last a few more years. I still have an Apex703 that plays very well after quite a few years. It gets cleaned about once every 6 months.
    Quote Quote  
  5. what kind of cleaning are you talking about......the little discs with brushes on them or a major take it all apart cleaning?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If it gets to the choice of dumping the player or cleaning the lens, you have little to lose.

I clean the lens with denatured alcohol (Isopropyl if you have nothing else available, use 99%) Use a foam 'Q' tip, or a cotton one if that's all you have. Cotton has fibers that can get caught in there. Keep it damp, not wet. Let it dry a few minutes. You may have to partially disasemble it, but you will know how to do it the next time. It looks like this inside:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's all about hours in use. And it depends largely on the quality of the laser to begin with. Your $20-50 players won't last longer than 12-18 months on average. Your more solid-quality products from Sony, JVC, Pioneer, Toshiba, etc ... they can last years, depending on the model.

Typically a player dies slowly, first rejecting CD media, then burned DVD media, and eventually even pressed discs. A lot of them even have the drive motors fail. That's how I lost my Cyberhome 300 after about 18-24 months, the motor fried. My old Apex player quit reading discs after about 12-15 months, and now it's a doorstop.

I can't really complain though, as I got a lot of use from them.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had my pioneer 525 (I think that's the model) for about 5-6 years. It still plays everything it's capable of playing. Even though I picked it up before dvd player prices really started to drop, it was a worthwhile purchase. I haven't really played many vcds or svcds on it in a while but I use it frequently to play burned dvds and pressed dvds alike.

It'll be interesting to see how much longer it lasts.
    Quote Quote  
  9. My kids Apex 1500 been running 2 years - 4-6 hour daily use !!!
    My Cyberhome 300 meanwhile last only 2 months ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also, smoking is about as hazardous to Laser pickups as to your health, so if you're a smoker, this is yet another reason to quit (or at least go outdoors for smoke)

/Mats
    Quote Quote