VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a problem with my DVDRW ( Lite-On SOHW-1213S). It has stopped working & all attempts to rectify this have failed. It is showing in the CMOS as a secondary master OK ( I have a CDRW as a slave) but it does not appear in "My Computer". It is listed in the Device Manager as disabled (Code22) & Windows cannot enable it. I have tried changing IDE cables...no different. I have taken it back to the place of purchase & they tell me it is working on their machine OK. I was advised to maybe change the drive letter as a resolve through Admin Tools >Computer Mgmt in Control Panel but it doesn't show up there either.I have tried removing the drive & reinstalling to no avail and have now exhausted my resources.
    Any info will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Reinstall the device drivers and restart , if no fix , go here next .

Restart the pc , and after bios boot screen has displayed hit the F8 key , you need to go into safemode .

Please note : usb mice do not work in safe mode .

Navigate to control panel
    Go to system , then hardware , device manager to see list

Uninstall all cdrom type devices .
    Go down to ide ata/atapi controlers .
    Uninstall the last listed , and uninstall all from last to first item
    Then uninstall the actual ide/atapi controller .

Shutdown pc .

Restart pc , allow it to reinstall device's as it finds them .

Reboot pc , and now check if device works .

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Have you recently installed any new apps , it might be the problem , use restore to return to previous time when all was working well .

Warning : any application installed after that restore point will have all their executables disabled ... uninstall these , and reinstall too fix them .

Still no go .

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last .

Take it to a friends pc , and see if it loads , if it dose , then the problem lies deeply embeded in the os on your pc ... only a clean install will fix this problem .

If it dosent , take it back to place of purchase for a full refund ... many will lie , as they dont want the hassle of warrantee returns .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    At some point windows seems to have encountered a problem with your drive. you may or may not have been given a warning that this hardware would be unavailable(disabled). In most cases all you need to do is go into the device manager and remove the drive in there. After this restart windows and it should attempt to reinstall itself. If it encounters an error again, thien there may be something further that is wrong.

That's what I'd try first.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would think uninstalling the IDE controllers then rebooting and letting Windows auto-detect everything again should hopefully fix this
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all replies. Have followed your suggestions & am pleased that DVD now works again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Very sorry for bumping this but i had to... since I was having the same problem. Now that I tried uninstalling from the devie manager/reboot and it works again. However when I insert a DVD, it opens the folder and not the autoplay set up on every game disc and/or movie I try to play. How can I fix this?

Cheerrs!
    Quote Quote