VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've recently gotten digital cable and I love it, but I've been investigating "dish" options as well. After a bit of research, I've learned that satellite TV might in fact be a bit more economical (though not necessarily significantly so).

However, it looks like "On Demand" services through premium channels such as HBO and so forth are cable-only. This is a major bummer as I am hooked on HBO On Demand and the many other On Demand channels. I watch those more than anything. Looks like a major coup for cable providers if satellite truly can't provide those.

Any chance satellite providers will have it in the near future? I don't see any technical reason why they can't ... unless cable providers have some sort of exclusivity contract.

-abs
    "The purpose of art is not the release of a momentary ejection of adrenaline but rather the gradual, lifelong construction of a state of wonder and serenity." --Glenn Gould
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i strongly doubt satellite could hold a candle to cable in this area.. with satellite they really cant individually feed everyone.. they're just broadcasting, and you're taking it in as they do it.. with cable on the other hand, they can feed everyone individually or as a group.. that is what makes real "on demand" possible with them..
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've read a few articles on how satellite can accomplish this.

As lumis mentioned the issue the sat providers face is bandwidth. I've read DirecTV is thinking of reserving a section of the HDD of their newer DVR's which will record the on-demand content during the wee hours of the night. It would then be available for viewing.

Not sure what the timeline on this is. DirecTV already has Starz on-Demand. I'd bet a real roll-out of this feature will wait until they finsished launching satellites in 2007.

I've no idea what Dish Network is planning.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    pstedman,

dish network is currently doing that "wee morning hours" on-demand type thing.. but its for old movies (mallrats, jurassic park) and you have to pay like $5.. it's pretty much garbage compared to real cable on-demand.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, in favor of satellite I can say this: It has occurred to me that virtually none of the On Demand programming is in Hi-Def. Sure, I love being able to watch a whole season of The Sopranos anytime I want ... but seeing as how I paid so much for my HDTV I would much rather watch it in Hi-Def widescreen.

I've got a real good price on my cable service for the next 6 months. But by the time that's up, I think the "novelty" of On Demand might have worn off for me and I'll be ready to go w/ satellite. I'd much rather have more HD channels than SD On Demand.

-abs
    "The purpose of art is not the release of a momentary ejection of adrenaline but rather the gradual, lifelong construction of a state of wonder and serenity." --Glenn Gould
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought cable had more hd channels than satellite.

I do hate the no hd ondemand though. I mean, there is hd ondemand but that's pay-per-rental.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Comcast has some On-Demand HD programming here but only for pay movies so far.

Correction: just looked and they have Lawrence of Arabia free in HD, Also some HBO and Showtime, etc. available to subscribers only.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote