VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am running FC3 and I have hauppauge WinTV-Go and the USB. I have not tried the USB but I don't get such great quality with the WinTV-Go. Are there some settings I need to change. I am connected to Dish and it shows fine on the TV and I have the signal split and going to my system and the attached are screenshots of mplayer playing the captured file. What can I do to make the quality better? It isn't bad but I'm not getting anywhere near DVD quality when making dvd's of my recorded shows.
    http://blkpoohba.dyndns.org/~poohba/screenshots/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't look too different from my analog ch 33 cap* from Comcast above to your DISH cap below. How was your WinTV-Go connected? Was it a RF (F-Connector) or S-Video from the Dish tuner? Your image was showing more luminance to chroma croasstalk (see false colors on fine white text). If you are using an RF connection, see if this improves with an S-Video (+audio) cable.

*my cap was Comcast analog channel (Motorola 6200 tuner), S-Video to ADVC-100 DV to Mainconcept realtime MPeg2
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does it get any better than this yet? This was recorded yesterday using $STREAMER -s 320x240 -f mjpeg -r 29.97 -t ${TIME} -n ntsc -q -o ${OUTPUT}/${PREFIX}-${DATE}-${TIME}.avi -j 90 -F stereo

I usually then ffmpeg -i file -target ntsc-dvd file.mpg and make a dvd of it.
    I would like better quality than this:

Maybe I can make it better with my capture string, or maybe with the device settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It shows the compromise of 320x240 and high compression. The signal looks noisy in blacks but that is probably a DISH issue. The light in the middle is in saturation (clipping).

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I remember, the Win-TV GO only has RF and composite inputs. Since you mentioned that you "split" the signal to your monitor, I will guess you used the RF input. Since you are using Dish, is there a composite output you could try? I wouldn't expect any significant improvement, but it is about the only other thing you could try.

As a note, I use the same card in both Windows and linux, with both RF and composite input, and have never had anything better than "marginally acceptable" quality.

Example:

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot to mention... I am using Comcast cable and not svideo if that makes a difference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BlkPoohba
    I forgot to mention... I am using Comcast cable and not svideo if that makes a difference.
    Cable system analog performance and capture card tuner performance varies.
    Quote Quote