VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I would like to request the option to put particularly troublesome users on ignore so that any posts by them will be invisible.

I think this would go a long way towards keeping the peace.

Search Comp PM
    Do you mean all posts by them become invisible to everyone? Wouldn't banning them have the same effect?

If you mean giving individual users the option to set another user's posts to ignore, than I think that would cause mass confusion because posts would be taken out of context. If you've ever used /ignore on irc then you know what I mean.

I just ignore people the old fashioned way.

3. No, I think he means an option to ignore posts from other members (obviously not mods) for your personal account.

Ex: If I choose to ignore "adam," when I log in all "adam" post will be invisible to me only.

It could get confusing in big heated threads but it's a choice to ignore. How to impliment it? Don't have a clue.

4. Originally Posted by adam
    Do you mean all posts by them become invisible to everyone? Wouldn't banning them have the same effect?

If you mean giving individual users the option to set another user's posts to ignore, than I think that would cause mass confusion because posts would be taken out of context. If you've ever used /ignore on irc then you know what I mean.

I just ignore people the old fashioned way.
    Unfortunately, these people who constantly like to bait others seem to always stay just inside the line of getting banned but giving individual users the option to set another user's posts to ignore is what I had in mind. It does seem to work else where.

I don't think it would cause "mass confusion" at all but if someone finds that they are getting confused, they could turn it off or remove users from their list.

5. Member
    Search PM
    I agree with adam. ignoring the old fashioned way is more satisfying. That way they know you read what they wrote..and you didn't care enough to reply.

6. Originally Posted by greymalkin
    I agree with adam. ignoring the old fashioned way is more satisfying. That way they know you read what they wrote..and you didn't care enough to reply.
    I think it would be more satisfying because they'd have less of an audience.

Search PM
    There's at least one PHP mod to do this - the one Mackie had installed at The Pub worked pretty well. It basically just replaced the users' posts with text such as "You have chosen to ignore this user. Click here to read their post", and the "here" was a hyperlink to read that particular post on a once-off basis.

So basically you know your arch enemy has said something, but then it's up to you if curiosity gets the better of you to actually read what they wrote.
    If in doubt, Google it.

Search Comp PM
    I agree with Headbanger's Ball. There really needs to be a feature to block or ban all of adam's responses.

But seriously, I agree with somebodeez. Sometimes people just bait and bait, but it would be futile if they were "invisible" to the person they were baiting. It's human nature to respond when you're constantly being called out.

Search Comp PM
    Ignoring sounds good but it's hard to leave biased and often misleading comments go unchallenged. Doing so could also be seen by onlookers as a mark of acceptance of the statements made.

It may be my nature to seek the expert opinion in any discussion. (I may disagree with it but I like to hear it anyway)

For example Adam, when I see a legal opinion expressed many times by the same person in a thread where you are commenting and you don't correct it then I am inclined to think it may have some merit that I don't see.
    I don't expect you to refute everyone but the main user on the opposing side of the discussion usually posts the same comments often in a thread.
    Once you agree or make counter statements I don't expect you to comment every time they repeat themselves but if you are posting and let them all go unquestionned then maybe it means that person made valid points.

It's my "negative option billling" way of interpreting your comments when you participate in a thread discussing legalities.

I could say the same thing about all aspects of video processing and other experts in those fields that I have come to observe here.

If users just had an ignore option (if one was available) then that could lead to more problems and deprive them of the opportunity to at least contadict the claims that they do not agree with.

Search Comp PM
    Back when #vcdhelp was kinda thriving I had a particular person set to ignore and the conversions very often turned into a "who's on first" routine. I can't imagine what would happen with 20-30 people posting in a thread. I think the only way to keep it straight would be if you always included the name of the person you were replying to.

Search Comp PM
    But it would probably be used sparingly, by those who are "adversaries". In general, you're not going to see 20-30 people in a thread using it on each other.

Besides, most of the time people will quote anyway, leaving zero doubt to where the comment is directed.

To top it off, you're talking about chat, which is much quicker and relies heavily on knowing who the "players" are.

BTW, I am answering adam

12. I think we all should have the ability to issue yellow cards. If someone annoys you, send them a yellow. Think of it like a citizens arrest.

Every week, those issued with five yellows would each get a poll in their honour where everyone can vote for them to be brought back or banned.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by offline
    I think we all should have the ability to issue yellow cards.
    How many yellow cards can one member issue per day?

14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think we all should have the ability to issue yellow cards. If someone annoys you, send them a yellow. Think of it like a citizens arrest.

Every week, those issued with five yellows would each get a poll in their honour where everyone can vote for them to be brought back or banned.

Yer killing me here dude!!!

Search Comp PM
    I think we all should have the ability to issue yellow cards. If someone annoys you, send them a yellow. Think of it like a citizens arrest.

With the exception of spammers, instead of outright banning, why is there no jail and/or probation. Make the yellows visible and apply jail or probation after 1, 2 or 3 yellows. Restrictions could be that the user can only participate in certain limited forums for a week or two the first time. Another yellow within 6 months and the penalty is longer and longer if they persist to 4. Then at 5 they are gone just like now. Remove 1 yellow after 6 months if no other received. The OT forum could be the first to go and restricted to those with less than x yellows. Mods could still ban a gross breach of rules as needed.

I don't know if such things are possible or maybe too hard to manage

Search Comp PM
    How about doing what the review sites do...

Did you find this post useful? YES | NO
    Member "X" has Y out of Z votes for posts that other members found useful.

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got to read more. What did I miss? Who's annoying who? I thought that things had been tame around here for awhile. Oh wait, is it me? My apologies if it has been. But next time confront me directly.

For what it is worth I think that an ignore feature is akin to sticking your head in the sand. (No insults intended, only an attempt to help smooth things over) I would say that yes there may be some folks that may tend to rub some others the wrong way, but ignore is awfully close to ignorance. Not reading a post or a reply simply because someone has rubbed you wrong before, seems like you would be missing out on a part of what is usually an evolving conversation.

I don't quite get it myself, but I suppose that others may like the feature.

As for the banning or yellow card element of the site, I kind of liked some of the ideas of probation or temporay suspensions at first glance. But what I am thinking now is that we do have a good systom in place. What I think the problem is, is that folks either don't take it serious or fully understand it. Maybe it is just me, but the signifigance of a "card" does not translate to all countries as a servere penalty. I think that it is possible that the terminology could be stricter sounding or more clear on a universal scale. Terms like "Demerit" or "Penalty" or "Warning Card" sound more severe to me than just "Yellow Card". And the fact that you are allowed five takes away from their power to influense better performance by those that tend to accumulate them. Perhaps after three documented or labled infractions the offender should have to issue an apology to the general forum or plead his case to a mod, to atleast acknowledge that they are aware of their cards before they are allowed to post again, and then be allowed the chance to either chillout for a time period until the cards can be erased or let them hang themselves with their last chance.

Nope I don't want the rules to be any stricter, ( I am already a nervous wreck posting here as it is)

Nope I don't want to increase anyones work load (I am sure that there is enough to do around here as is)

I just want everyone to be happy
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?

18. How many yellow cards can one member issue per day?
    @davideck

Good q davideck. There would have to be a limit or this whole forum would look like a bad case of jaundice overnight.

& Yes, I found your post useful

@ gll99

I mentioned a jail once before but few took me seriously - thank goodness. There was an idea of a "Time-Out" but our leader, Baldrick, gave one of his classic long winded speeches that started with "N" and ended with "o". Any other ideas, preferably simple to implement, will always be looked at.

@ zapper

but ignore is awfully close to ignorance
    Yes, an ignorance card would play havoc with the forum,
    not to mention the mods themselves

@ Noahtuck:

Ssssh!

Search Comp PM
    @offline
    I mentioned a jail once before but few took me seriously - thank goodness. There was an idea of a "Time-Out" but our leader, Baldrick, gave one of his classic long winded speeches that started with "N" and ended with "o". Any other ideas, preferably simple to implement, will always be looked at.
    What I like here is that you can say what you want without fear of reprisal or upsetting the administration.

That's the thing about Baldrick being the boss here you people have to put up with those single word speeches that drone on and on but worse than that

This post was edited for time and content by the administration of this site
    Useful discussion may now resume

Search PM
    Bad idea for the forum. The only place that would be useful is for PM's IMO.

Search Comp PM
    I should be in total control over my ability to annoy and irritate people especially those that are newbies.

The idea that my ability to do so can be restricted simply because I am on someone's ignore list is totally unacceptable.

After all we do have the YELLOW CARD system though of course I have never ever been issued with one

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE

22. Originally Posted by ZAPPER
    I got to read more. What did I miss? Who's annoying who? I thought that things had been tame around here for awhile. Oh wait, is it me? My apologies if it has been. But next time confront me directly.

...I just want everyone to be happy
    No, it wasn't you

I think those who would like to be able to use such a feature would be happy and those who would not like to use such a feature would be happy because they don't have to and it wouldn't affect them at all.

23. Member
    Search PM
    yellow cards!???

this aint burger king!

24. I don't have an opinion on whether that SHOULD be an option. I just know that I would never use it, if it was. I'm always interested in what others have to say, even if I don't like or agree with it.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books

25. I'm interested in what others have to say even if I don't agree with their opinions too.
    However, I don't like being subject to constant baiting.

Search Comp PM
    I've seen it used before, and believe me, it makes for a much leaner, easier to read thread when you have someone who's over zealous about lip-flapping. You scroll-wheel will thank you.

27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    An ignore feature for PMs might be useful but I think an ignore feature for the forums would just cause some people to not see the entire conversation and begin to take things out of context and cause more disruptions then verbally abusive trolls or those who bait. My ignore feature involves reading the drivel some people post, laughing, and moving onto the next post. It's not that difficult and at least the replys to such drivel make sense because the entire topic is visible.

The only time an ignore feature might be useful is when you start receiving several unwanted private messages from an individual who just won't stop after you've asked them not to. However, that's when site administrators and/or moderators of the site forums should become involved. The nature of the attacks have become personal and after you've asked this person to stop it's better to let the people in charge get involved. If you were to simply click the ignore button the person causing such havoc would learn nothing and might continue such actions against others.

With that, I'd say ignore feature for PMs or open forums might cause more disruptions than it would solve.

28. Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    I've seen it used before, and believe me, it makes for a much leaner, easier to read thread when you have someone who's over zealous about lip-flapping. You scroll-wheel will thank you.
    So have I and yes it does

And as for taking things out of context, this type of person is usually the one doing it first in order to bait everyone else.

Search Comp PM
    It's a dumb idea.

Get over it.

It ain't gonna happen.

Where's LordSmurf ... we need this thread locked please!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE