VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm in the market to upgrade to a new dvd player. I've heard mixed reviews on this player. However from reading on dvd benchmark it did very well on the tests thrown at it. I don't have a HDTV so I am stuck with finding the best dvd player with best video support though component output. My TV is a CRT 27" Panasonic T[tau] flat screen. The only place I found this player available is this site;

http://www.alldual.com/DVD/Panasonic/PanDVD-RP82.htm

I think it is a good deal because I will be playing a lot of Region 2 DVD's. Now to get to my questions. Does anyone have any comments on this player? How is the video quality is it up to par? Is there a better dvd player for $400 max price range? I don't know much about dvd players but I want the best well the best for my price range video through component output. That can play Region 2 DVD's and I do play a lot of SVCD's. Any help with any of my questions is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi InfernoSoul.
    1st I'm glad someone actually knows about and checks the DVD benchmark site.
    Wow what a trip to read your post. I got one of the last RP-82 on the east coast about 2 years ago when it was discontinued. My dealer called everywhere that was distributing it and finally found one in New Jersey I think it was.
    Another thing is the "retail" price was $229.00 at the time. Also it was rated #1 at the benchmark at that time. Higher than players costing thousands.
    You probably know it was a test player from Panasonic to show how good and how low cost a near perfect DVD player could be produced and sold.
    After the word got out it was quickly sold out and panasonic came out with other models costing more with less features (DVD-A for example)
    I see it is a "code-free" model I have never seen this version. I know people that have looked for the RP-82 for a long time without success due to being discontinued.
    My model Plays DVD-Audio but not SACD. Dont think Panasonic ever supported SACD. I think there may also be a couple features listed on your link that is not on my model either.
    Anyway as far as DVD players go I have yet to see it out performed. Of course I compare to friends and have not checked out new models from Denon, etc. that now rate as high as the RP-82 did.
    $400.00 sounds high but it has been modified and as far as worth it I would say yes. I would of course change a few things on mine as far as convenience but picture and sound are excellent.
    There's a feature to remaster CD audio from 44.1 to 48khz that really makes CD's sound good. Also about 4 different sound designs with that enhancement. The sound from the 6 channel output for DVD-Audio sounds incredible also.
    The one caution I've seen is that some have claimed that this and some other panasonic players suddenly pop up an error code on screen and that's it. It's dead. Mine is still going good but I use it rarely and mainly for DVD-audio and really great looking and sounding DVDs
    I am shocked that RP-82 has reappeared and thank you for posting this.
    I know the $229.00 I paid was an excellent price and for another $150. it still looks good.
    I bookmarked the page for some consideration myself.
    Enjoy.
    NL
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your quick reply. Yeah it is a little pricey but I am in luck because they made it region free which I will be playing a lot of Region 2 DVD's. Yeah trust me this dvd player was not easy to come by. I searched for hours before I came across this site. If this was $100 less I would have had it weeks ago. Been saving up little by little since this is so pricey. I guess I should be impressed with it because I will be upgrading from a Apex 1010W S-video. Which I am sure would have failed loads of tests on dvd benchmark. Now to component output through a very good dvd player that failed tests I won't use it for anyways. I am excited looking forward to purchasing sometime within the next couple of weeks. I will be sure to let you know how it goes. I hope I don't get ripped off.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Before buying check this link at avsforum.com
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=cc9b56106c1c843d6d2f4730a1564811&t=423609

I have the RP-82 and S97S both from panasonic. The RP-82 is an exellent player whose reputation is well documented, but at $400.00 is abit too much for a discontinued model with a region free firmware. Beware!
    The S97S is a new upconverting model with the same excellent reproduction quality, using Faroudja video processors and digital output for best connection to plasma- LCD screens and digital projectors. Go to www.avsforum.com and find your best option.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is quite a bit to read. If you wouldn't mind could I just ask some quick simple questions? First is the component output just as good as the RP82? Also does the firmware listed there allow me to play Region 2 DVD's? Or is there a hack that allows me to do this with full menu/chapter and remote support with no stop signs or wrong-region error on the screen? Thanks again I will do some research on that site. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Beware of what, reylafo? Sure it is an outdated model and sounds costly compaired to the original retail price. With the new TV's and all the high def now and to come it probably wont be compatible.
    But when a player ranks top of the list of hundreds of the rest how can $400. be too much. It out performed players costing thousands. And at the time had DVD-A.
    If you mean beware that the model could be a refurbished, used, work for a week and die, not work out of the box, etc. then I agree fully. Of course most of that could be the case with any purchase. Even best buy was charged with selling returns as new. Buyer beware, for sure, always.
    InfernoSoul, I do not know the company selling it and would try to find references - as many and from every source - as possible.
    If you are looking for the latest for HD and the future maybe check the benchmark site again for more compatibility. If you want an excellent player with best of the best picture and excellent sound the RP-82 has a history that speaks for itself.
    If it was a couple years ago and I was looking DVD with DVD-Audio I would have paid $400 as easily as the apprx $250 (shipping, tax) I paid. The player was worth it back then and it was nothing short of a favor (and test) from Panasonic to produce and sell this model at that low of a price.
    As far as firmware upgrades, I havent checked many places and this site states nothing for the 82.
    It sounds like money is an issue. Please excuse me if it isnt. It is always an issue with me and every buying decision is a time consuming headache for me.
    I noticed the upgrade model listed did not do DVD-Audio. Thats a feature so many know nothing about or dont care. But once you've heard DVD-A and SACD you know what I'm talking about.
    If you are into SACD a lot as you mentioned in your 1st post maybe another choice is a consideration.
    My 82 does DVD-A and I have another for SACD. There are some nice combo units out now. I think Denon may be a good choice but the Benchmark can give you the info that will help.
    It all depends on what you need now and how important future compatibility is.
    Good luck and take time so buyer's remorse doesnt set in too bad.

One caution...AVS forum can contain some good information but, like dozens of other AV forums it's full of those pushing their purchases or preferences instead of facts. The case with all forums.
    You should have been at AVS a couple years ago when an online (only) speaker company came in with a cheap speaker and had people buying them by the hundreds, never having heard the speaker then claiming it was the best sound ever. Mass hysteria.

Again, Good luck and thanks for the original link.
    NL
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Agree with NiteLite 100%. Always be careful with what is offered on the net. I got mine for $230.00 two years ago.
    For region free firmware,maybe there is one if you search well. If there is none ,many other players can be fixed to be region free.
    The fun thing is that when you thought you have the ultimate system, here comes -High Definition-, time for another upgrade! ;D
    Quote Quote