VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10
FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    Originally Posted by DereX888

ANYBODY PLEASE SHOW ME AT LEAST ONE LAWCASE WHERE A PERSON HAD BEEN EVER CHARGED AND PROSECUTED FOR COPYING HIS LEGALLY BOUGHT DVD FOR PERSONAL HOME USE.
    No need. There are thousands of people who have been served legal notice that their illicit activities can result in $150,000USD Fines for each illegal download or backed up movie in their collection. The MPAA is getting ready to submit another handful as we speak. read a newspaper sometime or ask around. I'm sure there is someone out there who has payed or agreed to pay an inexorbitant amount of money in restitution for their illegal activities of stealing.

The question(s) you need to ask yourself is do you want to pay these fines? Do you want to have the stigma of being labelled a thief? Do you want to risk your life (because the prosecution of these things takes time) because of a movie backup?

It seems harmless now, but just ask those in the past RIAA salvo of lawsuits against individual copyright violators whether their activities would ever result in them being labelled as a thief. I'm quite sure they'd do anything to reverse their previous course of action.
    Oh no. It's the "FBI Warning" again. I just shit my pants. Give me a few minutes to stop shaking.

2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dvdguy4
    I too backup my dvds and I dont know if anyone else has noticed lately VideoHelp has turned more into copyright help than video. A year ago ther really wasnt any of this crap going on. We all pretty much got along and helped with each others problem. Now this site is all about who knows more about copyrights. The site is going to hell. Need to get a grip with this crap. People are gonna back up their movies like it or not.
    Im not for it or against it. As for Adam , he's the lawyer. I think Id believe him more than anyone else when it comes down to the copyright issuse.
    Its too funny how this thread was about rip guard then it turns into this shit . Years ago we werent talking about copyright infringment, we were talking about how can someone help me with this .
    I dont like to be involved in any of this silliness more than you do.
    But as you've noticed yourself - these people like ROF, clearly a MPAA or MPAA-related employees, they have suddenly popped in past year or two here and on other boards, they come and wreck many threads with their f***ing witchhunts on pirates.
    Even Adam The Lawyer admits to this 'guilt' and he's not seeing anything morally wrong with it either, while obviously being a lawyer he wouldn't do it if there were any risks of being really prosecuted for such trivial things as making backup of your paid-for movie.
    I understand that some people may have different opinion than me, and they may believe that copying artists digital works on a CD is morally OK, while copying artist's digital work on a DVD is morally not OK, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and belief.
    But it does not mean that such person must come to board like this and tell everyone else that he is better than many of us in his opinion, because according to his morals we are "pirates". He tries to back his opinion with law often, but he clearly don't understand fundamental law of all laws: innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around. Since no one has ever been prosecuted for backing up his legally owned DVD, this subject should have never cropped up nor being brought up for discussion., and calling me a "pirate" (and adam and others who admit of backing up their movies) should have been outright, without questioning, treated as insulting a member of this board.
    Thats my grief to Moderators here actually.

It is unfortunate, but perhaps really it should be another forbidden subject on this forum, as someone already proposed earlier.
    Or lets make a separate "Law and politics" section where ROF and his supporters could discuss it as much as they want if Admin and Mods don't feel like to kick him out of here. No matter what, but something should be done, really. Its too much. I really had enough.

3. Originally Posted by DereX888
    I too backup my dvds and I dont know if anyone else has noticed lately VideoHelp has turned more into copyright help than video. A year ago ther really wasnt any of this crap going on. We all pretty much got along and helped with each others problem. Now this site is all about who knows more about copyrights. The site is going to hell. Need to get a grip with this crap. People are gonna back up their movies like it or not.
    Im not for it or against it. As for Adam , he's the lawyer. I think Id believe him more than anyone else when it comes down to the copyright issuse.
    Its too funny how this thread was about rip guard then it turns into this shit . Years ago we werent talking about copyright infringment, we were talking about how can someone help me with this .
    But as you've noticed yourself - these people like ROF, clearly a MPAA or MPAA-related employees, they have suddenly popped in past year or two here and on other boards, they come and wreck many threads with their f***ing witchhunts on pirates.
    Even Adam The Lawyer admits to this 'guilt' and he's not seeing anything morally wrong with it either, while obviously being a lawyer he wouldn't do it if there were any risks of being really prosecuted for such trivial things as making backup of your paid-for movie.
    I understand that some people may have different opinion than me, and they may believe that copying artists digital works on a CD is morally OK, while copying artist's digital work on a DVD is morally not OK, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and belief.
    But it does not mean that such person must come to board like this and tell everyone else that he is better than many of us in his opinion, because according to his morals we are "pirates". He tries to back his opinion with law often, but he clearly don't understand fundamental law of all laws: innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around. Since no one has ever been prosecuted for backing up his legally owned DVD, this subject should have never cropped up nor being brought up for discussion., and calling me a "pirate" (and adam and others who admit of backing up their movies) should have been outright, without questioning, treated as insulting a member of this board.

It is unfortunate, but perhaps really it should be another forbidden subject on this forum, as someone already proposed earlier.
    Or lets make a separate "Law and politics" section where ROF and his supporters could discuss it as much as they want if Admin and Mods don't feel like to kick him out of here. No matter what, but something should be done, really. Its too much. I really had enough.
    I agree. Lets get back to the basics again.

4. Banned
    Search Comp PM

We can't. Not while these ******** are allowed to lurk in here and spew their 'wisdoms'. Every thread may end up like this one, as many before it did. It will always start with some RipGuard news or question, and end up with MPAA running dogs preaching their morals here.

5. With so many comparisons being made about various crimes, I was reminded of something, so I searched for it. Hope Adam doesn't get bent if he thinks it's irrelevant, just having a conversation here.

"Criminal offenses can be broken down into two general categories- malum in se and malum prohibitum. The distinction between malum in se and malum prohibitum offenses is best characterized as follows: a malum in se offense is 'naturally evil as adjudged by the sense of a civilized community', whereas a malum prohibitum offense is wrong only because a state makes it so."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malum_prohibitum
    Pull! Bang! Darn!

6. Originally Posted by DereX888

We can't. Not while these ******** are allowed to lurk in here and spew their 'wisdoms'. Every thread may end up like this one, as many before it did. It will always start with some RipGuard news or question, and end up with MPAA running dogs preaching their morals here.
    LOL

Search Comp PM
    I've been reading through the thread and a few things are clear. There are obviously several camps here when it comes to the subject of DVD Copying.

The its wrong camp and the its okay camp. This is a moral decision and is upto the person. Its also not the type of subject matter that should be discussed on this board as it touches 100% LEGALLY speaking on the subject of Warez.

There is also the "I don't like the laws" vs. the "This is the way the law is" camps. What I see reading through is that the majority of the post are people complaining about the law, and the others clarifiying it as it stands. In many cases the ones who don't like the laws try to argue against them, and your personal opinion on the subject IS important however as the Explainers try to point out, it doesn't change the law.

What I'm saying is its an endless loop, explain the law, argue against it, point out the laws in more detail, explain against it again. In the end it has no actual effect on anything.

Its also WAY off topic from the start of the threads. WAY WAY offtopic. In the way of natual converstation I understand that topics can drift but lets realize how far we have drifted. Lets look at the subject line one more time.

I'm gonna do two things now. 1) go ahead and lock the thread its lived out its life. Whats to be said has been said. and 2) Leave you with some words from adam from earlier that if you did not read should likely be reread. Because its important to realize that the current laws DO basicly trump the concept of fair use even if it seems in bad spirit of the concept of fair use.

Originally Posted by adam
    Instead you start with a premise, in this case you state that ALL copying of copyrighted works constitutes an infringement UNLESS exempted. Then you create the exemptions. The obvious ones were created from day 1, and the rest were added on an as needed basis. That's how the Teach Act was passed. A bunch of teachers wrote their congressmen saying they knew they had rights under Fair Use but didn't know the extent of them. There was enough confusion that a bill was put together to give guidance. The same thing happened with the Audio Home Recording Act. There were enough suits against hardware recorders and a great enough belief in the general public that copying their music was permissible. As such the affected industries struck a deal to try to satisfy everyone. Hardware manufacturers were granted immunity from suit for contributory infringement. Citizens were granted an exception that allowed them to copy musical recordings for personal use. And in exchange for this manufacturers of certain hardware and media have to pay a royalty which is distributed to the recording industry.

Really, what it boils down to is that right now it doesn't seem that copying DVDs is really prevelant enough that the issue is ripe. As I've said before, I honestly do not believe Fair Use could possibly exempt the activity, just as Fair Use did not exempt the copying of musical recordings. That's why a new law was drafted for CDs and if DVD copying is going to be made legal than I suspect that a similar law will have to be drafted.

Until an exemption is created, the general premise controls, ie: copying copyrighted works is an infringement. The fact that such an exemption hasn't been created yet doesn't mean that the underlying premise is flawed or unconstitutional, or corrupt. It just means that there is not yet enough support or need for such an exemption.

If you want to do something really the best way is to write congressmen and stress the need for an exemption for audio/visual works.
    I advice those in this thread to take a step back and think about it. I'm sure you don't like a locked thread and personally I don't like locking them. IF you think it should be reopened send me a PM and explain WHY. I don't care who has the last word, I just don't see anything new that can be contributed ESPECIALLY on the original subject " Forbes Magazine says Madagascar WAS a true RIPGuard disc"

I however am going to bed. If you do have a legit reason PM me and I'll reconsider on waking up.