VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought one of Hauppauge's PVR-150 capture cards, not realizing I couldn't capture raw frames, run them through Huffyuv and save the resulting AVI. I've been trying to work around this, and I actually have a filter graph put together that'll do what I want:

Unfortunately I don't know how to take that graph and make the equivalent work in, say, VirtualDub. I assume that building a graph in GraphEdit is just a way to make sure that a combination of filters, etc., works before coding something (in other words, before creating your own capture app or something.)

I can run GraphEdit with the loaded graph, but the audio goes out of sync really quickly and I'd like to have at least some PVR/VCR-like support (GE doesn't have this, of course.)

Where do I go from here? I don't want to buy another video cap card (though the idea of capturing digital video appeals to me.) I've been through the guides, the faqs and the forums on this, doom9.net and shspvr.com -- no luck.

I've tried:
    * DScaler: Captures avi frames, but doesn't allow me to compress using Huffyuv and there's no audio
    * VirtualDub: Captures AVI with a 4cc of HCW2 (Hauppauge's) and I can't load Hauppauge's color format converter (it's a .ax file?)
    * VirtualVCR: I can load the color format converter, but it doesn't capture, failing with 'E_FAIL: 80004005' error. It seems to be some kind of general error (when I google for it I get all sorts of answers, from all sorts of apps.)
    * MPEG captures: well, this works, of course, but even on high bitrates I wind up with artefacts. I'd rather process the raw frames myself and get better quality.

Thanks!

-j

p.s., I did post this same topic on doom9.net's fora. Thirty people have read that in the last 24 hrs, but no replies. I thought I'd try my luck here. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was doing this before, I know your problem.

First, since you are capturing in Vdub, and it is giving the Hauppauge color space, you need to use a codec. Use Huffyuv- it will compress it to YUY2 Huffyuv. Then you should be able to open your Huffyuv capture file in programs like virtualdub and avisynth. Then, for audio, plug the audio into the line-in on your sound card, and select line-in from the Virtualdub audio input menu. Everything should work fine. I used to do this before I returned my 150.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Torrential

First, since you are capturing in Vdub, and it is giving the Hauppauge color space, you need to use a codec. Use Huffyuv- it will compress it to YUY2 Huffyuv. Then you should be able to open your Huffyuv capture file in programs like virtualdub and avisynth. Then, for audio, plug the audio into the line-in on your sound card, and select line-in from the Virtualdub audio input menu. Everything should work fine. I used to do this before I returned my 150.
    Thanks for the info. But, two things:
    * The PVR-150 models don't include a header where you can connect the tuner audio to the line in. Maybe I don't understand what you mean.
    * I know I have to use the huffyuv codec, but the card output is hcw2 and vdub won't let me select the codec I want (I assume) because of that. Again, maybe I'm missing your meaning.

-j
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by joemadeus

Thanks for the info. But, two things:
    * The PVR-150 models don't include a header where you can connect the tuner audio to the line in. Maybe I don't understand what you mean.
    * I know I have to use the huffyuv codec, but the card output is hcw2 and vdub won't let me select the codec I want (I assume) because of that. Again, maybe I'm missing your meaning.

-j
    1: If you are using the Tuner, I don't think there is anything you can do. What I meant is to connect directly from your input source(ex. cable box) into your sound card, bypassing the Hauppauge.

2: So it won't even give you the ability to click on the Compression menu under the Video menu? It should. You are supposed to choose "Convert To YUY2" in the HuffYUV options.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1: If you are using the Tuner, I don't think there is anything you can do. What I meant is to connect directly from your input source(ex. cable box) into your sound card, bypassing the Hauppauge.

2: So it won't even give you the ability to click on the Compression menu under the Video menu? It should. You are supposed to choose "Convert To YUY2" in the HuffYUV options.
    Oh, I see. I have only analog, basic cable and this card tunes it. There's no cable box. VDub won't pick up the tuner audio?

I can bring up the compression dialog, but here's what it says:

If I had to paraphrase that, I'd say it's telling me that the video coming off of the card doesn't work with anything, because VDub doesn't know what it is. I can't filter it or use a different format, either; if I could, I assume I'd have huffyuv available.

Am I correct in assuming that there's no way to get the filter setup shown in the graph from my first post in any other software? Forgot to mention, btw, that I have WinTV2000 installed, but for whatever reason my copy won't let me record to AVI.

-j
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A little closer... (sorta)

I got VirtualVCR to capture video, but not audio (just like DScaler.) I can't select the tuner audio-in under the 'devices' tab in VVCR's settings. I guess the author assumes everyone is using line-in.

Hints? SOMEONE has to have some suggestions.

-j
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hm, can you even preview video in Vdub? If you can, then you should have Huffyuv available. But since VVCR works, I guess audio is the only problem. WinTV2000 Can't capture AVI. There is a utility that comes with the card, but the maximum resolution for AVI Capture is 320x240. Higher is not supported. I really don't think you can do anything, unless you find a splitter wire that splits the coaxial signal into svideo and composite audio.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hm, can you even preview video in Vdub? If you can, then you should have Huffyuv available. But since VVCR works, I guess audio is the only problem. WinTV2000 Can't capture AVI. There is a utility that comes with the card, but the maximum resolution for AVI Capture is 320x240. Higher is not supported. I really don't think you can do anything, unless you find a splitter wire that splits the coaxial signal into svideo and composite audio.
    Yes, preview works fine. And, I do have huffyuv available; what's more, I know it's working (opening the file in gspot shows the right 4cc.) But, as you said, audio is the problem.

I assume windows keeps a list of the available audio input devices in the registry. I know that once the card is done with it, the audio coming off is just pcm. Shouldn't I be able to add the tuner card's audio input to the list of audio input devices?

-j
    Quote Quote  
  9. Please check this out: http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=6403.0 , and see if that solve your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Iamnotsam
    Please check this out: http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=6403.0 , and see if that solve your problem.
    I hadn't seen that thread, thanks for the pointer. The setup I wound up with last night is the same as his setup, except that I don't have the tuner card available as a device in my audio devices list (Settings...Devices tab), so I can't select it. Maybe there's a bug in the setup file for the tuner card that kept it from installing? I installed it well after I installed system audio (Realtek on-motherboard.)

[UPDATE] I just installed the beta drivers available on Hauppauge's site, and that didn't change the situation.

-j
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone here know how to add the tv audio capture device as an audio device? Bueller?

-j
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This capture card is not designed for AVI capture but MPEG capture.

The card can do up to 15,000kbps so try a capture at a CBR of 15,000kbps with 384kbps MP2 audio.

This is the "BEST" you can do at MPEG with this card. That should give you enough quality for a "MASTER" recording (ala AVI) that you can then filter and re-encode with a software encoder.

Granted an AVI capture with HuffyUV or even PICVideo MJPEG is going to look better than a CBR 15,000kbps MPEG-2 capture but you don't have a choice really with this capture card.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    This capture card is not designed for AVI capture but MPEG capture.

The card can do up to 15,000kbps so try a capture at a CBR of 15,000kbps with 384kbps MP2 audio.

This is the "BEST" you can do at MPEG with this card. That should give you enough quality for a "MASTER" recording (ala AVI) that you can then filter and re-encode with a software encoder.

Granted an AVI capture with HuffyUV or even PICVideo MJPEG is going to look better than a CBR 15,000kbps MPEG-2 capture but you don't have a choice really with this capture card.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    But I definitely can capture AVI -- just without the audio. And I definitely can get that if I have the right filter graph in place. The thread that Iamnotsam pointed out earlier suggests that Hauppauge used to add the tuner card as an audio-in device, and I'd guess that adding this device would let me capture a full AVI. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to - it's just PCM.

Damn, wish I'd saved $100 and bought the cheapo, non-MPEG card.

-j
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    joemadeus,

Why avi?

It is a bummer that you bought the wrong board but using the PVR150 to cap avi seems way too complicated, seems a bit on the insane side of things. Either sell the board, send it back and pay the restocking fee, buy another board or start capping mpeg.

I personally like working with DV avi but I have also learned how to work with mpeg. Lots of freeware apps out there for everything from cutting and trimming to authoring.
    bits
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wwjd
    Why avi?

It is a bummer that you bought the wrong board but using the PVR150 to cap avi seems way too complicated, seems a bit on the insane side of things. Either sell the board, send it back and pay the restocking fee, buy another board or start capping mpeg.
    Good point. Thought about that, and figured I'd give the audio part a while longer. I'm getting tired of this, so I may go that route.

-j
    Quote Quote  
  16. You will need to go back to one of the older revs of the drivers in order to cap avi. Hauppauge changed the way they implemented the audio device driver, I think it was around the time they included a setup.exe with the .inf.
    -Dano
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Suds
    You will need to go back to one of the older revs of the drivers in order to cap avi. Hauppauge changed the way they implemented the audio device driver, I think it was around the time they included a setup.exe with the .inf.
    Thanks for confirming that they changed them -- I suspected as much but wasn't sure. I visited thier public FTP site and found PVR drivers from early October, 2004 (at least, that's date latest revision date on the INF file.) It looks like they didn't actually change too much in the drivers themselves (though I'm sure there's been a lot of tweaking in the last year+). I did a diff on the that older INF file and the one that came with thier v23297 beta drivers and notice 1) that they stripped out all the wdmaud requires and 2) that they stripped out the AddInterface calls for a device with GUID KSCATEGORY_AUDIO and a friendly name of "Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II ([23|25|26]xxx) Audio Capture" They took out this, too:

Code:
    + ;Wave in audio device registration
    + HKR,Drivers,SubClasses,,"wave"
    + HKR,Drivers\wave\wdmaud.drv, Driver,,wdmaud.drv
    + HKR,Drivers\wave\wdmaud.drv,Description,,%A2.AudioFriendlyName%
    +
    I know there's an output pin on the capture filter that spits out PCM audio -- if all they did was strip out the INF entries that refer to this, I should be able to build an INF file that adds this interface. If not, I'm going to have to restore my registry after I'm done torquing it I'll try tomorrow.

-j

p.s., are you the same Dano that wrote that 'PVR-150 Does AVI!' thread that Iamnotsam referred to earlier?
    Quote Quote