VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The laptop features a 500MHz AMD processor, 7" color screen, WiFi connectivity, uses flash memory for storage and runs on Linux. The lime green, hand crank powered unit (one minute of cranking = 10 minutes of run time) was displayed at the World Summit on the Information Society.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/16/technology/laptop_fortune/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Forcing the geek to do his exercise.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Not bad if its got wifi

Now how long before an automated adapter comes out???? (just hook it up to some kind of power source and let her rip )
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by yoda313

Not bad if its got wifi

Now how long before an automated adapter comes out???? (just hook it up to some kind of power source and let her rip )

Windmill/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by canadateck
    Windmill/
    PERFECT!

And it would be "environmentally friendly" too
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Suuposed it already does have a connection for a power source. The hand crank is meant to be used in locations where there is no power source.
    TANSTAAFL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't that for third-world kids?
    This has bene talked about a lot in the past 2 years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't this one of the things John Titor predicted?

Seriously though, it would be good for world travelers having to spend many hours not being able to plug in to power.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Also note, the pictures of the completed thing is a "mock up".

See the "working prototype" here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4445060.stm

I'm still impressed they got something working at $US 100 though.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I remember reading that they converted sony ps one's to run cdrom learning games for an alternate low cost computer awhile back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In Russia and other former soviet countries, they still use modified ZX Spectrums at their schools to teach to the students about Computers.
    In case you don't know, ZX Spectrum released back at the late 70s/ early 80s and had as a CPU a Z-80...

And just to inform you, that the hand crank powered radio units sell like candies on unter sahara Africa...

I see a HUGE market for those PCs (and if they give the production line to China factories, the cost gonna head down quick!!!).

Regarding WiFI: I can imagine those PCs been used for TV, Radio, intranet (not internet...), as an alternative for mobile phones, as school books, or like libraries. I can imagine a doctor in the middle of nowhere, using a PC like this to get instant info of how to help a person that needs special treatment.

On the negative side, I can also imagine PCs like those to became something of a "big brother" and to be used to control the mases...

Those PCs gonna have plenty to offer. Don't take it so easy...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vitualis
    I'm still impressed they got something working at $US 100 though.
    Don't be. These things are being heavily subsidised; they cost more than $100 to make. If these laptops truly cost $100 to manufacture, companies would be tripping over themselves trying to get them on the open market. As it is, these will be sold only to 3rd world countries in very large quantity.

Also consider that most families will sell theirs for more important things, like food. This is really nothing more than an ineffective giveaway, really quite pointless. Take WiFi for instance, what good is WiFi when you target "market" don't have any phones or communication infrastructure at all.

I'm usually not no negative toward charity, but this whole exercise is pretty pointless.
    Quote Quote  
  13. You are missing the point.

Wi-Fi as per others is not about connecting on-line. Rather, that the devices can connect to each other... for example, in the classroom setting.

Also, I believe that these things are NOT heavily subsided. The $100 price point is not going to be making anyone any money but it is not an artificial reflection of the cost of production.

In any case, I would be more than happy to pay more for one of these little machines (or two!) to help subsidise it for the developing world... A portable laptop/notebook computer with Wi-Fi connectivity that can be powered by a handcrank? There will be plenty of demand in the developed world too!

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually if this can also plug into a way its PERFECT for my use. It should be put on sell RIGHT NOW!.... no?

NOW?

NOW!...

crap.

edit: just finished the whole write up. The man has bold plans. I support this cause.
    Quote Quote