VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My DVD player is on its last legs and I have started to look at a replacement one. I have stumbled upon many different media players that are on the market and am interested in getting one. My requirements are:
    • Good quality DVD player with error correction
    • Ability to play video files over a network (wired or wireless...don't care)
    • A manufacturer that actually cares about the product after it has been released and provides good information and regular firmware/feature updates

I found a pdf with a list of media players on AVS forums but it seems a little outdated. Can anyone provide some input to the players listed below or suggest one that isn't mentioned? It is a rather daunting process to try and weed through all the manufacturer hype. The players are:
    • AVeL LinkPlayer 2
    • Buffalo LinkTheater
    • D-Link DSM-320RD
    • GoVideo D2740
    • KiSS DP-1500
    • Momitsu V880N
    • SnaZio Net Cinema DVD HD

I thank you all for any input you can provide to help me ease the pain of finding a good device.

-Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you look at the listing for 'DVD Players' to the left and just check 'Ethernet Connection' you should get 19 or so possibles.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tip. It helps but I wasn't sure if anyone here could provide any additional information regarding the best companies to deal with (I hate buying something that has terrible support/very rare on firmware updates) or which ones have a really good dvd player in them. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It often takes a while for everyone to read your post. Hopefully someone that has more knowledge than me about what you are looking for will reply. Making a good post title helps. Maybe something like 'Network DVD player suggestions' or similar.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been looking at a few of these myself. Not much information (user info) available on them. Mostly because most of the people (that I've talked to anyway) that want network connectivity in their player and multiple file type support, are either using a modded Xbox or have built their own HTPC.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. my networked/streaming media player is an xbox running xbmc software.

xbmc has adjustable:

aspect ratio
    zoom
    contrast
    gamma
    audio delay
    audio gain

and they can be adjusted while the video is playing.

it also has buttons for 7-30-120 second skip backward, 30-120 sec skip foward.

rewind/fastfoward speeds of 2/4/8/16/32 and a 'seek' slider bar (using the thumbstick).

also multiple bookmarks per movie/video

it streams every audio/video format i have , from my pc or the internet.
    (divx, xvid, nero/mp4, mp3 etc)

also has a nice tvguide feature (named mytv) using zaptoit.com (free)
    downloads tv listings for the next 7 days

my xbox cost $100 used at ebgames, it also plays arcade games and old sega, nintendo games.
    Quote Quote