VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dunno if this belongs here, but here goes. I am about to purchase an audigy 2 zs notebook and a logitech z5500 speaker set. I heard that using the regular orange black and red or the basic 3 connections for surround sound isn't the best quality, and doesn't support DTS or something like that. So, I heard that optical(digital)offers better sound and has all the surround sound codecs compatible. Is this true? The audigy 2 zs notebook has an optical out I heard, but it's in the form of a miniplug. I found a cable that might work, but doesn't say anything about the zs notebook being compatible. Can anyone help? If it won't work, what kind of adapter do I need? Here's the link: http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=16&product=33
    Can anyone confirm that this cable will enable a digital optical connection between the zs notebook and the z5500's? There must be thousands and millions of zs sound cards and z5500 owners.
    To clear it up: What's the best connection I can get between my audigy 2 zs notebook card and my logitech z5500 speaker set? Where can I find this cable for this connection?
    HELP!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not that familar with that notebook or audio card, but that appears to be a standard toslink cable. Here's a clearer picture of the ends:

For audio connections, optical lke toslink is generally the best, with coaxial second, then stereo RCA plugs next. Those speakers would also have to have a decoder to use surround sound from the optical cable.

Here's some about the different audio types: http://www.5dot1.com/what_is_5_1_.html

EDIT: OK, as near as I can tell it would work. The speaker system does have a decoder and a toslink input and the sound card does appear to have a toslink out and input. But check both manufactures sites to be sure. Those are expensive speakers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can confirm that this optical connection is a SPDIF interface, as redwudz said before you need an external decoder to use this connection
    BTW I bought a cabel which offers mini toslink on the one side and on the other normal toslink -> think about that because almost every amp needs the big ones

CYA Daphy
    Quote Quote