VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 26 of 26
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    G'day,

    I know little about DVD recorders, but am looking to buy the Panasonic DMR-EH60.
    My needs are pretty basic, watching DVD's, copying tv programs, saving and editing my home videos to DVD and perhaps viewing photos.

    Apart from the problems listed in the 'FATAL FLAWS LIST' sticky'd in this forum, does anyone know if there are any major issues with this machine?

    Also does anyone know if those issues listed in the 'FATAL FLAWS LIST' are still applicable to newer machines?

    Thanks in advance for helping a noob, I've searched high and low for info on this machine and this is the best site I've found to date, but still haven't found anything on this particular model. The Panasonics seem to rate pretty highly on this site.

    The other machine I was looking at was the JVC DR-MH30 ???
    Quote Quote  
  2. Since there are no comments on it in our review section, https://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders I would get another machine. That way you have someone to talk to. Panasonic does make a few dvd recorders. You can see them in that section too.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You could have a look over at avsforum.com

    There has been some discussion of the EH60 there.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member classfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Heartland, United States
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a DVD-RAM drive on your computer? If not, another brand of recorder that uses DVD+/-RW media would be more user friendly, especially if you mean to author on your computer. I'm not speaking badly of the Panny's - I have an E20 and E55 in use at the moment - I'm guessing the E60 is a close relative to the E55???? I would've purchased another brand when I bought the E55 for the ability to edit on DVD-RW - except for already being able to handle DVD-RAM on my desktop.

    As a longterm user I'm certainly more impressed with the DVD recorder line than Panasonic DVD players: I won't buy another - they're horrible and have weak drive motors. The only errors that I've seen on the E20 were related to bad media - I've always gotten a good burn, as long as I didn't mess it up.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by classfour
    Do you have a DVD-RAM drive on your computer? If not, another brand of recorder that uses DVD+/-RW media would be more user friendly, especially if you mean to author on your computer. I'm not speaking badly of the Panny's - I have an E20 and E55 in use at the moment - I'm guessing the E60 is a close relative to the E55???? I would've purchased another brand when I bought the E55 for the ability to edit on DVD-RW - except for already being able to handle DVD-RAM on my desktop.

    As a longterm user I'm certainly more impressed with the DVD recorder line than Panasonic DVD players: I won't buy another - they're horrible and have weak drive motors. The only errors that I've seen on the E20 were related to bad media - I've always gotten a good burn, as long as I didn't mess it up.
    I'm looking at the dmr-eh60 rather than the dmr-e60, this one handles DVD-RW
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    Since there are no comments on it in our review section, https://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders I would get another machine. That way you have someone to talk to. Panasonic does make a few dvd recorders. You can see them in that section too.
    Do you suppose it would be safe to assume that the dmr-eh60 is similar to the dmr-eh50? Looking at the 2 in the brouchure they appear very similar apart from the HDD capacity and the dv input in the dmr-eh60.
    There are some comments on the dmr-eh50 with high ratings given to it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Also have a look at these machines:

    Pioneer DVR-520H
    Pioneer DVR-533H
    Toshiba RD-XS34
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    I'm very new to the world of DVD and dont know anything about the different media types, what disadvantages might I face with the Pioneer DVR-630H given that it only writes to DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-R DL?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    What I want to know is how you guys down under know that a 60 exists? It must be too good for us yankees! The Panasonic website doesn't even list a 60, only a 50.
    I'm #3 and I don't even try!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hitechluddite
    What I want to know is how you guys down under know that a 60 exists? It must be too good for us yankees! The Panasonic website doesn't even list a 60, only a 50.
    I dont know why that is, I did notice that the 50 is 100GB there where as it is only 80GB here. There aren't too many recorders here over 160GB and that is the main difference that I can see between the 50 and the 60 aswell as the dv input. You Yankees must watch more TV and need the bigger HDD

    Same goes with the Pioneer DVR-630H here is 160GB but 250GB over there? So it looks as though the DVR-530H over there is the DVR-630H over here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Well the DV input could be a big deal depending on the answer I get on another thread.... So does the 60 down under have a 100gig?
    I'm #3 and I don't even try!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hitechluddite
    Well the DV input could be a big deal depending on the answer I get on another thread.... So does the 60 down under have a 100gig?
    The 50 has an 80GB and the 60 has a 200 GB HDD.

    If you want the spec just check out the Australian Panasonic web site.
    http://www.panasonic.com.au/products/category.cfm?objectID=55

    I was tossing up between the Panasonic DMR-EH60 and the Pioneer DVR-630H and have decided to go with the Pioneer. I'm waiting to see what the prices do after Christmas before buying.
    Quote Quote  
  13. e500 has 400gigs......

    But when they mention hours they are referring to lowest quality output. 80gb=80low quality hours
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the link Crak-r-jacK!!! Acording top my exchange rate calculator the retail for the 60 in US dollars is $661. Now I just have to find an Australian site that sells at a discount and ships to the US.

    One thing I did notice is the site said that the 60 had 500lines of resolution at LP mode which was supposed to be double that of other recorders. I'm not sure if the 50 says the same thing but I haven't seen it mentioned any where.....
    I'm #3 and I don't even try!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hitechluddite
    Thanks for the link Crak-r-jacK!!! Acording top my exchange rate calculator the retail for the 60 in US dollars is $661. Now I just have to find an Australian site that sells at a discount and ships to the US.

    One thing I did notice is the site said that the 60 had 500lines of resolution at LP mode which was supposed to be double that of other recorders. I'm not sure if the 50 says the same thing but I haven't seen it mentioned any where.....
    The 50 is the same as the 60 in regard to the resolution in LP mode, it is written there.

    I'm not too clued up on these things, but the tuners in these models are PAL, not sure if that is an issue for you?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not too clued up on these things, but the tuners in these models are PAL, not sure if that is an issue for you?
    The website Spec sheet said dual capability, but maybe that only referred to what they would record in?
    I'm #3 and I don't even try!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hitechluddite
    I'm not too clued up on these things, but the tuners in these models are PAL, not sure if that is an issue for you?
    The website Spec sheet said dual capability, but maybe that only referred to what they would record in?
    Are you looking under the heading 'Progressive Scan' it notes there PAL/NTSC, but on this link to the specs http://panasonic.com.au/products/specifications.cfm?objectID=2817
    it shows only PAL for the 'TV Tuner recieving system' ???
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    The other thing is these only have analouge tuners and not digital. Digital is a bit slow getting off the ground here.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Crak-r-jacK,
    In the newest issue of the “What HI-Fi? Sound & Vision” magazine the Panasonic DMR-EH60D recorder was awarded with 5 stars for “fine DVD playback, faithful recordings, easy to use and great spec…DVD recorder challenges Sony…This Panasonic ticks a lot of boxes, but it’s only its larger hard disk and compatibility with DVD-Ram discs that could persuade you to choose it over the Sony.”

    The Sony RDR-HXD710 got the “Product of the Year 2005” Award. “The Best DVD/HDD Recorder 2005” Award went to Sony RDR-HX510 and the “Best DVD Recorder 2005” Award was given to Panasonic DMR-ES10.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zorankarapancev
    Crak-r-jacK,
    In the newest issue of the “What HI-Fi? Sound & Vision” magazine the Panasonic DMR-EH60D recorder was awarded with 5 stars for “fine DVD playback, faithful recordings, easy to use and great spec…DVD recorder challenges Sony…This Panasonic ticks a lot of boxes, but it’s only its larger hard disk and compatibility with DVD-Ram discs that could persuade you to choose it over the Sony.”

    The Sony RDR-HXD710 got the “Product of the Year 2005” Award. “The Best DVD/HDD Recorder 2005” Award went to Sony RDR-HX510 and the “Best DVD Recorder 2005” Award was given to Panasonic DMR-ES10.
    I don't know if I wanted to hear that?
    I was tossing up between the Panasonic DMR-EH60 and the Pioneer DVR-630H, I settled on the Pioneer for reasons I can't rightly remember now. I remember my head was starting to hurt thinking about it so I just made a choice, I think the Pioneer has more inputs but this probably doen't matter too much as I dont have much to put into it, I own a TV and a VCR at this stage. I'm not too clued up on DVD recorders and Lord Smurf has indirectly put me off Panasonic, that and many threads talking about blocky images on the Panasonics.
    I haven't bought yet as I'm waiting to see what happens to the prices after Christmas.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I am confident that you would be happy with either of those two models.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member Sifaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Crak-r-jack

    did you end up buying one
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    No i didn't buy one.
    I had made a decision that I was going to get the Pioneer DVR-630H but decided I couldn't afford it at the moment.
    By the time I think about it again, the price should have come down a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member Sifaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Im in the same boat,

    decided on the DVR630H as well

    but just waiting for the right time
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Search Comp PM
    I figure if I hold out long enough one might come out with dual tuners?
    I might be waiting a while??
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member Sifaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Search Comp PM
    I got the DVR630H, am just playing around with it now

    was very easy to setup and start recording TV to the HDD.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads