VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I'm new to these forums, and I was searching forum posts to find out how to convert a stereo mp3 to make it 5.1 compatible. I used this tutorial: http://www.kellyindustries.com/diy_5_1.html and saved all my files as .wav yet it still doesn't play all speakers, only the left and right. I also tried to burn the sample .wav file they give, and it still doesn't play all speakers. Any suggestions? NOTE; For testing purposes, I've used a CD-RW I don't think that should at all affect the fact of it either playing stereo or 5.1 Thank You.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    are you burning it as a standard audio-cd? because if so, i dont think it is possible to have better than stereo sound.

unless you were burning the 5.1 or dts track on a cd-rw as data and your dvd player was able to play it back, then it's not possible.

also, there is really no point in converting a stereo mp3 to 5.1.. you're not really gaining any quality, you're losing quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What happens when you play the individual WAVs for any of the other speakers ?

AFAIK, you can't do true 5.1 from a 2ch source, but I'm probably wrong
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To begin with, that guide does not discuss 2.0 to 5.1 creation, it assumes that you have 6 discrete channels to begin with. All it really talks about is creating an appropriately formatted 5.1 AC-3 file for CD playback (i.e. needs to be 44.1khz, needs to be burned as wav file, needs to played back on a suitably equiped digital system).

Sceondly, you have a poor quality source file to work from. I don't care how high the bitrate is, or how good it sounds in your tiny bud earphones, once it was compressed to MP3, the quality of stereo seperation went into the toilet. If you don't have a clean stereo source, then trying to get a 5.1 mix is futile.

Finally, if you only have two channels to begin with, the best you can hope to get a is mock 5.1 mix by playing with frequencies and other dicking about.

That said, give us the step by step of how you did this, what tools you used, and what you are playing it back with.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the all the replies. Yes, I did try burning it as an audio-cd.
    This is what I did:
    1.) Loaded the file into ACID Pro v5 and set the project to 5.1 speakers. From there adjusted the speaker volumes (6.0 for the from two I believe it was and about 12 for the surround speakers [the reason for this is because my system is setup so that the listener is closer to the rear speakers])

2.) Set ACID to save it into 6 mono files. It named them as Left, Right, LFE, Surround left, Surround right and set their audio levels respectively.

3.) Opened Sonic Foundry Soft Encode to encode it.

4.) Set all the speakers .wav files respectively.

5.) Encoded it.

6.) Opened Nero Burning ROM v6 and burned it as a audio CD. (That one .wav file alone, the one that was encoded with Sonic Foundry Soft Encode.)

7.) Played it on my Panasonic SC-HT930

EDIT: I tried to burn it as a data disc, but my DVD player doesn't play .wav files.
    EDIT2: The file I encode says I only have 2 channels. What am I doing wrong?? Can anyone reccommend a free or demo version of an AC-3 encoder?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Soft Encode comes in two versions. One outputs 5.1, the other outputs 2.0. Do you have the right version ?

Can you output just the first 30 seconds or so and post them here so we can hear/see the file ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe you should also dig here: needfulthings
    Quote Quote