VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 61 to 80 of 80
Thread
  1. Member thecoalman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Search PM
    I see offline is listed as a member too....

  2. Member rkr1958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Originally Posted by rkr1958
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Wish granted.
    You have the power to make that wish true? As far as I can tell Adam's still a member here.
    I think you missed the point ....... completely.



    I'll baby-step you through it:

    AFAIK Lordsmurf is no longer a moderator here ....
    Oh ... my bad ... Go to bed and miss all kinds of stuff. And I'm really slow in the morning ... Thanks for the baby-steps. Can you get me my juice too?

  3. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    So much rumor and speculation. So little truth. Nobody here even remotely knows what has gone on in the past few days. Feel free to continue to cheer or jeer, but at the end of the day, realize you haven't got any of the facts. You're just filling some random need to blindly lash out or suck up.

    I've said it at least twice now, and it's worth repeating: If you want to make yourself useful on a video help site, there are a number of video posts that need answers where I'm sure you could give good input. And for the creative minds, there is also a film competition where we'd love to have your entry.

    That's really all I have to say at the moment, about the threads found in the FEEDBACK area as of late.

    Aside from that, it's business as usual. There are people out there that need a helping hand, and I for one will continue to put my efforts there, as I've done from day one.

  4. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the insight Lordsmurf. hopefully all the hoopla has ended and everyone will return to supporting each other. I'm glad it's resolved and in response to this thread I respectfully propose that we move along and close the thread.

  5. Member rkr1958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    So much rumor and speculation. So little truth. Nobody here even remotely knows what has gone on in the past few days. Feel free to continue to cheer or jeer, but at the end of the day, realize you haven't got any of the facts. You're just filling some random need to blindly lash out or suck up.
    Glad you decide to stay and pass along your video experience and expertise. However, I don't agree with the last part of your statement ... I feel that most members here in this thread and the adam's gone thread kept it mature and were venting (as opposed to "blindly lashing out" or "sucking up"). Again ... glad you're back ... glad Adam's back too.

  6. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Lashing out and sucking up are polar opposites to the activity of venting. We have seen the full spectrum. Some were mature, some were not.

    A few people are just here for what they perceive to be a moment of schadenfreude. You'll find most of them had to be disciplined in the past, either with warnings or locks, and they chose to be bitter over it rather than learn from it.

    Just look at this thread. The original discussion revolved entirely around who got "the last word" and totally ignores the point of a lock, which is to end a discussion that was getting out of hand or inappropriate. It's not about having a privilege to make the last post. Mods are supposed to do that merely so people know who locked it and why.

  7. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    It's not about having a privilege to make the last post. Mods are supposed to do that merely so people know who locked it and why.
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Mods are supposed to do that merely so people know who locked it and why.

    You are guilty of NOT following this Rule/Statement Many times.

    Really.

  8. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    We all slipped up from time to time. But that kind of statement also makes it seem like you know I locked it. Just because a moderator was in a thread at some point does not mean he was the one that locked it. And anything a mod says in that final post is aimed at diffusing a situation, it's not always going to be something 100% of members agree with, but it's what needs to be said to stop further discussion.

  9. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    We all slipped up from time to time. But that kind of statement also makes it seem like you know I locked it. Just because a moderator was in a thread at some point does not mean he was the one that locked it. And anything a mod says in that final post is aimed at diffusing a situation, it's not always going to be something 100% of members agree with, but it's what needs to be said to stop further discussion.
    I do agree with you on that, (Maybe it wasnt you that locked it.)

    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    but it's what needs to be said to stop further discussion.

    I'm Right and you are wrong?
    LOCKED.

    That needs to be said?,to stop further discussion,there is no further discussion when the thread is Locked. Only from MODS...

  10. Maybe a (I MOD Name) have Locked this Thread would be somthing to look into.

  11. Greetings Supreme2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I've said it at least twice now, and it's worth repeating: If you want to make yourself useful on a video help site, there are a number of video posts that need answers where I'm sure you could give good input. And for the creative minds, there is also a film competition where we'd love to have your entry.
    But is that the entire extent of this site, to be "useful"? Sometimes even that term can be defined by the user. Entertainment value can be "useful", as well as pointing out things that just may make you think.

    As I have said many times in the past: If you want a sterile, no-nonsense (maybe even dull) environment, you simply do not have an Off-Topic area. If you can't take the slightest bit of criticism, even if it gets heated at times, you should not have a Feedback area.

    There are many people who come here as students and continue to be students for a while, on their way to becoming "experts". In the mean time, they may hang out (mostly) in Off Topic, or suggest improvements or voice their concern about other observations in Feedback.

    Sure, there have (rarely) been some pretty harsh posts about mods and/or the way this site is run, but in addressing those posts, many of the detractors have been educated on the workings of this site, which they previously took for granted. I'm willing to bet that there are at least a few of the "troublemakers" who have a new found respect for this place after only a couple of these single paragraph explanations.

    I know that no one here is "owed" any answers to Feedback, just as the guy with his hands full isn't "owed" me holding the door open for him, but sometimes you'll find that a quick, simple act of patience (or kindness) works wonders. It also helps when someone is willing to take that first step and say "Oops! I screwed up.", rather than "If you don't like it, you're free to get the hell out of here."

  12. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes that is the case, yes, you are wrong, the mod is right. Take this thread, for example: https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1403194#1403194

    Sometimes a thread is closed due to aggression by a user. Grade school teachers referred to this sort of activity as "mouthing off". This is sometimes referred to as a thread "having run its course". The aggressor is usually a person that will never be pleased and holds a grudge. If you disagree with them once (even if you decide to see it their way later on), they will hate you for all time for that sole act of disagreement.

    Normal users get the benefit of not having to be in a heated discussion. They can choose to ignore it. Moderators do not have that privilege, they are here to insure rules are adhered to, and that general order is kept. And because of this, they often come under fire, especially from those that have been disciplined in the past. As they say, moderating is a thankless job.

    ..........................

    Sometimes people take things wrong. They're too attached to words. Or they just assume it means something good or bad, due to some (often-wrong) perceived idea of how the person tones the response. Consider this. Take something as simple as "No."
    - Some people see it simply as an answer, negative. "That's won't work, try something else."
    - Some see it as a "Oh heaven's no, my dear, I truly wish it could be a yes, I'm sorry, I'm sorry."
    - Some see "No .. HAHA!"
    - Others interpret it as "No mother ******, why don't you just go to hell for even having the balls to ask that shit. Douchebag."

    But really, it was just a simple answer. "No." There was no added meaning. All that extra stuff is in your head.

  13. Preservationist davideck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Just look at this thread. The original discussion revolved entirely around who got "the last word" and totally ignores the point of a lock, which is to end a discussion that was getting out of hand or inappropriate. It's not about having a privilege to make the last post.
    The intent was to allow EVERYONE a chance to have a last word; one final post per person. Easy rule to follow. Fairness for all. No interpretation or discretion of rules required by anyone.

  14. I do think everyone makes mistakes.But in this thread there is not Mistake.

    It should have been left with
    lordsmurf "Wrote"
    @ davideck, I doubt you'll understand. You're so busy trying to convince me (and yourself) of something else (some imaginary DNR errors), that you're completely overlooking the error I'm explaining. I guess you'd just have to see it to understand. You'd slap yourself in the forehead and go "oh, THAT!". ............ You also need to quit being a smart ass. If this is "entertaining" to you, then you have no business on this site. We're trying to help people, not play games by trying to twist people's words around and ask silly questions. Take your "entertainment" elsewhere ............ FYI, there is not any technical term for "overwhelmed". Maybe "buffer overflow" would suit you better. Not enough RAM. Insufficient resources. Thing stops working, needs more juice
    Not

    lordsmurf "Wrote"
    @ davideck, I doubt you'll understand. You're so busy trying to convince me (and yourself) of something else (some imaginary DNR errors), that you're completely overlooking the error I'm explaining. I guess you'd just have to see it to understand. You'd slap yourself in the forehead and go "oh, THAT!". ............ You also need to quit being a smart ass. If this is "entertaining" to you, then you have no business on this site. We're trying to help people, not play games by trying to twist people's words around and ask silly questions. Take your "entertainment" elsewhere ............ FYI, there is not any technical term for "overwhelmed". Maybe "buffer overflow" would suit you better. Not enough RAM. Insufficient resources. Thing stops working, needs more juice.

    This is getting off topic anyway....

    Suffice it to say, there are differences in the 2MB and 4MB versions. It exists, but it's not something you'd see very often, and only on tapes that are severely screwed up. Any JVC from the more modern 7000, 9000 or SR series would be a great machine.

    The JVC is a great machine, and it tends to outperform even some of the more "pro" machines that exist because of the TBC/DNR system it has.

    This thread is over with.
    This is one example.

    Now I'm not trying to start a flame war.but Cant you see the Point I'm trying make,Some people just took the (Power) they had to Far.

  15. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf

    Normal users get the benefit of not having to be in a heated discussion. They can choose to ignore it. Moderators do not have that privilege, they are here to insure rules are adhered to, and that general order is kept. And because of this, they often come under fire, especially from those that have been disciplined in the past. As they say, moderating is a thankless job.
    Just felt like repeating the most important paragraph in this entire topic. It's a thankless job which most wouldn't want anyways and those that do regret it once they realize what's involved.

  16. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    canadateck, I don't mind responding to that.

    I'm perfectly aware of that thread. It's one that definitely skates a fine line in some people's eyes, but it's going to be the only one you find.

    That's merely part of an ongoing disagreement between myself and Davideck over the quality of JVC VCRs. That exact thread was locked because it became "entertainment" to him (that's a quote too), and was no longer about trying to help a poster. It was mostly locked because anitract made a suggestion that it be done, and I agreed.

    Davideck and myself disagree on VCRs and TBCs, but none of that affects moderation style. It's supposed to be nothing more than friendly disagreements, bringing two points of view to the table. Sometimes we jabbed, but it was never anything spiteful or hateful, I didn't walk away pissed off or bitter from those various threads.

    Nelson37 is another member participating in these latest feedback posts. We disagree on the quality of DV transfer as a VHS conversion method. This never ended with any sort of lock, we just had friendly (or so I thought) disagreements on methods.

    I don't know why folks hold a grudge. I don't. This is a video tech forum where we can present various points of view and share experience in an open area. But it's supposed to be ABOUT VIDEO TECH NOT EACH OTHER. Too many people are taking things personally lately, very touchy.

    edited for typos

  17. Great, I apologize if I have perceived it in any other way.


    A side Note: It wont be the only one I could Find

  18. Preservationist davideck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    Just for the record;

    Originally Posted by davideck
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I'm obviously talking to a brick wall...
    You are talking to someone who is trying to understand what you are saying. It's hardly worth my time, but it is entertaining.
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Sometimes people take things wrong. They're too attached to words. Or they just assume it means something good or bad, due to some (often-wrong) perceived idea of how the person tones the response.
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    That exact thread was locked because it became "entertainment" to him (that's a quote too), and was no longer about trying to help a poster.

  19. If you are going to mention my name, at least get it in the right context.
    There is another Nelson on this board, but I don't think you mean him.

    I do not, and have never, owned any DV-type equipment. I believe the disagreement you are referring to is about the proper resolution to capture VHS tapes at, which I will note that after over a year of insisting I was wrong due to the contained max res of a VHS tape, you are now telling people that capturing as close as possible to the native res of the card is best, regardless of source res, which has been my position for years.

    My general pisstification (no, it's not a word, but it ought to be) with you began long ago, when I suggested adjusting capture card's color, tint, and brightness and testing standalone playback, and I was told "learn to use the gamma adjustment". When I questioned you about the IVTC in the MMC prog and you said it was worthless and should not be there, when it works at least as well as 80-90% of software methods. When you repeatedly stated you (and apparently only you) could get MMC 8.1 to work on an AIW 128 but never made the method available, except (reportedly) on the fee-for-service portion of your website, which you constantly advertise on this site. When I went thru your site in detail and was unable to find anything not already available here or elsewhere, and long before, at that. When you stated that field order was hardware-dependent and unchangeable, when it is actually controlled by software.

    Some of these issues are opinions, some involve factual information which is simply not disputable. IMO, you tended to close off debate when there were still debatable issues on the table.

    It is one thing for an average person to state - "this is the way it is, and here is my evidence/reasoning". It is quite another to state "No, it is this way, and I am right because I am the Expert". It was not so much the statements as the attitude with which they were presented.

    Many of the locked posts were prematurely locked, IMO, and it certainly seemed that a disproportionate number of these were occassions in which the opinions being disputed were yours. Again, debate is not over or unnecessary simply because your opinion has now been heard.

    Now I am not always the easiest guy to get along with either, and I want to make it clear that I am stopping short of calling you a complete A*hole, or a total idiot. Some of your work in the hardware-based video restoration arena, and other areas, is surely quite useful, just not something I am likely to utilize.

    I think it was the hint of arrogance which colored some of your actions, which tends to greatly annoy other arrogant *******s such as myself.

  20. I think this has run its course, and isn't really serving a purpose any more. I'll ensure that any key issues pointed out within this thread are taken up and considered. If anyone would like to discuss anything, please do feel free to send me a PM. I'll try my best to answer.

    Thanks,

    Cobra




Similar Threads