+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I collected some info from this forum however am a bit confused

I am inbetween a process for making svcd. what I have already done and what I am confused about is

1. I captured video from my camcorder using firewire
    2. Edited it in Microsoft Movie maker 2
    **3. I need to add Menu, title and credits – I will download and use DVDstyler for Menu and MWW2 for Title and credits
    4. Saved movie as DV-AVI
    **5. I need to convert DV-AVI to Mpeg. I will download and use TMPGen
    **6. I need to Author. Will DVDstyler/TMPGen do it for me Or else I will download and use EasyVCD (free old version)
    **7. Burn to a SVCD (or VCD) I Have Roxio easy cd creater and but I have never seen like make VCD or SVCD options in it. ( I have used Make Music cd and Make data cd for MP3’s)

I am confused about do I need all these different software
    DVDStyler for Menus
    TMPGen for DV-AVI to Mpeg1
    EasyVCD to Author

and once I am finished till Authoring, how can I finally burn using Roxio basic cd creator 5. can i copy and add a file directly using roxio

thx
    Prem
    Quote Quote  
  2. AFAIK you can not use DVDStyler to make a menues for svcd. The svcd menues are very basic stuff and I would not even call them menu at all. But I must confess I never tried to make menu for svcd. This you can do with the authoring step in VCDEasy (not EasyVCD).
    You need TMPGEnc to convert DV to svcd compliant mpeg2 files. They can be also interlaced. Mpeg1 in your case may be used only if you plan to create VCD (not svcd) and the problem is that it doesn't support interlaced material.
    You need VCDEasy to author. If you get free old version you can also force the VCDEasy to burn to disk with CDRDao. For this reason you need an ASPI layer instaled, and looking at your comp details, I doubt very much you have one. The easiest way of doing this is to download from Nero site WinAspi32.dll file and to place it in system32 folder of windows directory. VCDEasy will recognized it and then you can select the recorder.
    Don't mess with Roxio. The svcd/vcd burning in the basic version is disabled - so you must pay to get platinum - and even then it is very very buggy and unconvenient proggy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVI to SVCD:
    VirtualDub, TMPGEnc, VCDEasy. All you need.
    I'm sure there's plenty of guides for AVI to SVCD using these Three Musketeers.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Abond

your reply is very help ful

i did notice this morning that VCDEasy has a option to set menus .. however they are by time of by frame. Is there a way i can have menu's where I have a transition effect. i have give a transition effect at the end of every clip

I tried to burn using VCDeasy and i got the error for the missing dll. I believe "Nero site WinAspi32.dll file and to place it in system32 folder of windows directory" will resolve this and I should be through

1 more question - I capture a video to MM2, edit it and save it as DV-AVI... I am going to then need a Mpeg2 for svcd OR Mpeg1 for vcd to be used for the second step. Is there a way I can directly get a Mpeg file and skip going to DV-AVI??

Thx
    prem
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can specify either an mpeg still or an mpeg segment as a menu in VCDEasy. So if you want transitions the best thing to do is have an mpeg still for your menu, then when a button is selected have it link to the corresponding transition stored as an mpeg sequence. You'd be suprised how much you can do with menus on a VCD or SVCD. You can at least simulate most of the things that DVD menus support.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Couple of things...

What adam said is quite correct (the others too), but you'll need to create the "moving/transition" segment items in a video editor (VDub, WMM, etc) and encode those as separate items to MPEG as well.

Also, any 'ol photo app will make standard menu backgrounds (Photoshop, PSP, Coreldraw, MSPhotoEd, etc). Make 704 x 480(NTSC)/576(PAL) non-squarepixel. Save as BMP (avoid JPG--too many compression generations).

HTH,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by premb
    1 more question - I capture a video to MM2, edit it and save it as DV-AVI... I am going to then need a Mpeg2 for svcd OR Mpeg1 for vcd to be used for the second step. Is there a way I can directly get a Mpeg file and skip going to DV-AVI??

Thx
    prem
    Well, I simply don't know if Movie maker 2 can output as mpeg2 (I think it cannot). So this is best you can do - edit as DV and output as DV.avi. Afterwards encode to mpeg2. I personally have done it this way (only my transfer and editing and outputing to DV.avi was done in Ulead Video Studio. Hmm, you see, even UVS can output to mpeg2, I didn't trust it, and I need some filtering, that is why I decided to use avisynth and HC for the task. My family is happy with the result)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Abond, mats.hogberg, adam, Cornucopia and other people on the forum. This forum has been a lot of help

Reading the menu at transactions, I will try it out as recommended however i had learned from the forum that SVCD are the ones which can support menu. just the VCD will not support.

I burned my first SVCD and was exicted to check the quality - when I played it in my coby dvd-207 (which according to the site - says will support svcd) errored out saying 'Wrong Disc'. I had downloaded and pasted in Windows > system32 folder the WnAspi32.dll as i could not find anything like 'WinAspi32.dll'. Also as VCDeasy did not reconigse the CD writer and CD reader, I used the 'Force somthing..' with a generic mmc raw driver. this wrote the svcd successfully by dvd player...'wrong disc' anyone has a clue

2nd excerise, i took the same wmm file plus another new wmm file, converted both into mpeg1 file, added both in the VCDEasy and tried VCD1 and VCD2 (with menu's every 2 minutes) and tried to burn into new disc. this time VCDEasy failed to write VCD erroring something for CDRDao

need moreeeee help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know why you player wont play your SVCD's, but the CD writing can be worked around, by unchecking the "Burn" checkbox in VCDEasy, and just let VCDEasy create the cue/bin. Then burn cue/bin with "anything" that burns reliably on our system.
    ...and it's VCD 2 you should use.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mats

I have roxio eacy cd creator 5. This version does not have anything like make a vcd etc - all it has is make a data cd and make a music cd. Can i use make a data cd and then burn this bin/cue file on the cd - will that work ?

Thx
    Prem
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that's the general idea - Most CD writing apps have something like "burn CD image" or similar option - that's the one to use. You basically don't tell the app what kind of CD you want to do - just cancel those questions, and look around the menus where to find that option. My guess (as you can understand, I don't have Roxio) is under the file menu - At least that's where it is in Nero.
    If you could select "Make VCD", the app would try to do what VCDEasy has already done, but not as good (as VCDEasy is the best for this).

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by premb
    Mats

I have roxio eacy cd creator 5. This version does not have anything like make a vcd etc - all it has is make a data cd and make a music cd. Can i use make a data cd and then burn this bin/cue file on the cd - will that work ?

Thx
    Prem
    That won't work the way I think you're thinking. See below...
    • #1-Make VCD in VCDEasy. Generate VCD to Disc Image (CUE/BIN). Open Roxio. Make DataCD. Add CUE/BIN files as file to the contents of that data CD. Burn CD.

WON'T WORK

but,
    • #2-Make VCD in VCDEasy. Generate VCD to Disc Image (CUE/BIN). Open Roxio. Do "FILE|Burn DiscImage" (or some similar command). Burn CD from Loaded CUE file.

WILL WORK

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You must have a Lite version of Roxio ECDC5. The full/deluxe version does have VCD-making capability.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you burn an image, if the app has VCD authoring capabilities or not, is irrelevant. What will be written on the disc is already defined in the image (cue/bin in this case) so you don't need any particular features of the burner app, as long as it can write CD images.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  15. Unfortunately roxio doesn't recognise bin/cue images.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd recommend CDBurnerXP Pro as an alternative. Free, and with enough features to keep me happy.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  17. Both VCD and SVCD support menus.

TSCV was the most full-featured menu-creation app for SVCD that I ever found. A bit buggy, but workable.

I always muxed my SVCD with BBMPEG, not only does it correctly create the segment offsets for proper FF/RW, but it will split the file at a particular size for multi-disk sets. Will even overlap each segment by a few seconds.

VCDeasy or VCDImager will create the bin/cue file, can burn this with almost any burner. Nero, several free ones.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone out here for the reponses

However I am still not able to get this work. so far i have done...
    1.svcd - mpeg2 in tmpgen and used vcdeasy to burn svcd. the player errors out 'Wrong disc'

2. vcd - mpeg1 in tmpgen and then used VCDeasy to burn VCD2 but still it will not play in the player

3. vcd - mpeg1 in tmpgen and used VCDeasy to save a bin file, then burn the bin file on cd using roxio - the player will not read this

4. svcd - mpeg2 in tmpgen , convert in bin file in VCDeasy, convert to iso file in CDburnerXP Pro and burn as a vcd. the player will not read

I also played all these in my 2nd dvd player - Sony DVP-NS325 (which according to the site will play vcd and svcd)

...What went wrong?

A. when my VCD or SVcd is burned - when I explore it in windows explorere what should i be seeing in the cd

B. something might be wrong as I have used WnAspi32.dll as i could not find anything like 'WinAspi32.dll'

C. is there a test file over the internet, which i can burn using my computer and test it on my players

Thx
    Prem
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here's details under all the discs

1st cd
    SVcD using easyvcd
    has
    test1.windows media(tm) video file
    folder - highmat
    subfolders - Images and playlist
    files - Author.xml, contents.htm. menu.htm, text.htm

this one plays fine on windows media player but say wrong disc in the player

2nd disc
    burn through Roxio
    videocd.bin file

does not play on WM player

3rd disc
    burned using CDBURNERXP Pro
    has 3 files
    1 mpeg2 file and other 2 mpeg1 file
    the 3 mpeg1 files play on the computer

4th disc (reads Super_videocd as title)
    burned using CDBURNERXP Pro
    mpeg to bin to iso file
    has 4 folders
    EXT, MPEG2, SEGMENT, SVCD
    under EXT - SCSNDATA.DAT
    under MPEG2 - AVSEQ01
    under SEGMENT - emplty-nofiles
    under SVCD - 6 files - ENTRIES.SVD, LOT.SVD, SEARCH.DAT, INFO.SVD, PSD.SVD, TRACKs.SVD

this cd when used in coby player says wrong disc while in sony says - this disc is not clean ( I cleaned the disc and player another disc in player which worked fine )
    does not play in Windows media player
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Only the last disc seems to be a video disc (SVCD). The rest are plain data discs.
    Take a look under WHAT IS top left for a rundown on what to find in the different formats.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  21. Agree with Mats, the 4th one is the only one with correct structure.

Am confused by some of your statements, you state some of the problem disks "were also played in the 2nd player". Do you mean successfully, or with the same negative results? You also describe a disk with 1-MPG2 file and 2-MPG1 files and then state that all 3 MPG1 files played in the computer, when there were only 2 of the MPG1 type.
    Mixing MPG types is not valid for VCD or SVCD.

Precise, correct information is critically important to solving a problem.

There are VCD and SVCD image files available, try these. Have you tested different media, and both R and RW disks? Can you test using another burner?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    as mats.hogberg said, your other discs AREN'T either vcds or svcds--they don't have the correct structure or anything.

The last disc has the correct listing of files and folders, however, I believe that in converting from BIN to ISO, you've lost the recognition of the correct data mode and pregap spacing. In doing so, you've completely fractured the linkage to the actual media files. I'm not surprised they aren't working.

You've been asking for samples--did you even look at this site? The "What is VCD?" or "What is SVCD?" each have samples. For some reason, the VCDImager site is iffy these days, and while the PCPhotovideo site is ok, it doesn't have disc images. I'd upload a mirror, or one of my own samples, but I'm not at home right now.

Do this:
    Encode clip with TMPGEnc to VCD MPEG1, using the DEFAULT NTSC VCD template.
    Then, start VCDEasy and set for VCD 1.1 NTSC.
    Load the mpeg in VCDEasy.
    Set the burner to your own cd burner (us force generic mmc settings if need be) and check BURN
    Click the GO button

Will this play?

Look at the structure of this disc with ISOBuster.
    Then look at the structure of those other discs. Are they the same? (I would guess not)

HTH,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Here's a test sample for you: http://navasgrp.home.att.net/tech/video/xvcd.htm

This is an XVCD. If your player will read this, it'll probably read VCD ok. Too bad there isn't an XSVCD sample...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  24. B. something might be wrong as I have used WnAspi32.dll as i could not find anything like 'WinAspi32.dll'
    Sorry, it is WnAspi32.dll.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Finally I got my 1st VCD done this Morning. but quality is very very poor.
    Here's what happened - I downloded the samples of VCD from PCPhotovideo. this samples were already Mpeg1 But I still used TMPGen to convert them for VCD (mpg) abd burned it to a new CDRW using VCDeasy and this thing worked. so i tool another (2nd new)CDRW and converted my AVI files into mpg using TMPGen and burned using VCDeasy but this time it failed and i was depressed.
    For a second attempt I used my 1st CDRW this time and used the converted mpg file in VCDeasy to burn and this time it worked
    I assume this problem from CDR's (all of them failed initially) and some CDRW (the 2nd one from maxwell which failed) OR the Windows explorer which I kept open in all my previous attempt.

i am going to try SVCD's today. any suggestions to improve quality on the last VCD?

Thanks to all here
    Prem
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ???

I'm not understanding what you just said.

Please explain again in step format what you did, including listing the generation and source of the media.

It sounds to me like you are re-re-compressing, which is almost always un-necessary and very likely detrimental to quality.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. I captured video from my camcorder using firewire
    2. Edited it in Microsoft Movie maker 2 and saved in WMM format
    3. Saved movie as DV-AVI
    4. convert DV-AVI to Mpeg using TMPGen
    5. Burn to a VCD using VCDeasy

I was able to burn a VCD but with poor quality. i am inbetween trying to burn a SVCD from Mpeg2 formats but am constantly failing. I am going to try and burn some sample files downloaded as mentioned in the above thread and check
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by premb
    saved in WMM format
    3. Saved movie as DV-AVI
    Two consecutive saves? Why? WMM format (wmv i presume?) is lossy, so if you go wmv to DV to VCD, you'd better go wmv to VCD or avoid wmv alltogther.
    Also VCD is low quality, even with the best of source material.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Did you capture from within WMM? (Not a regular user of the program, I'm not sure) It might do capture with background conversion to WMV...

The saving of the project file should give you a file with extension MSWMM. This is only an EDL-type file (gives info on the playlist/editlist/stream layering). This is not the finished, rendered output.

If, instead, you are outputting to WMV first, and then converting to DV-AVI, that is indeed a needless, harmful, additional generation.

VCD quality isn't "high" quality by any means, but with clean DV material and rigorous transfer/edit processes, tools and techniques, you can keep it looking quite decent! I've done scores of these (for clients), so I know.

Have you tried a better video editing app?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Scott..
    I did capture within WMM
    The saving of the project file gave a file with extension MSWMM
    saved it as DV-AVI within WMM

Then used Tmpgen to convert to Mpeg1 for VCD and Mpeg2 for Svcd.

Is this the right process for better quality for vcd.

Another stange problem, for the same DV-AVI file, I converted once into Mpeg1 and completed the VCD - works fine. Then converted this DV-AVI file into Mpeg2 and tried using VCDeasy to write Svcd - it fails all the time giving some CDOCRD errors.I have used the same CDRW which has a success on vcd. I tried using different drivers (generic and generic raw) but it still fails. tried with and without chapter, still fails. tried to used a sample from PCPhotovideo site in mpeg format (under samples for svcd), still fails
    Quote Quote