VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi i dident know where to post this message so i choosed that forum here but i have a serious question.

u all (may the most of u ) know that u can coose a tv as the output device (if the graphic card has this option)... well thats actually great to see movies or even to display some visualisations (maybe from windows mediaplayer or nullsoft winamp) on a big display...

but its also known that when u switch to any application (maybe a graphic program or evenn a browser) what u see is a some kind a blured text , so that it is impossible to read anything without sitting right in front of the tv...

and thats my problem i whant to build my self a kind of home pc for usage with a television set, so that i can surf / chat / even maybe design a graphic on my tv....

is there any way to have an output on a television that has a clear written font text, not blured.. and not thatway that u will have headaches after about 20 minutes using it?

iam interested in any way of solution doesent matter if it belongs to somekond of special hardware or (maybe expensive) software...

would be cool if someone has an idea...

greetz Sascha
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A regular TV will never display text as clear as a computer monitor. A TV with S-video input will help and one with component video in will be better. To get closer to monitor quality requires a high end TV monitor, with plasma, or LCD with digital input. The only alternatives are to use larger fonts, lower computer resolutions if you want to view text on a TV and still have it reasonable readable, otherwise, it's going to cost more than it's worth, IMO.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    uhm well, i life here in germany we have (tv - Norm, dont know if its called that way over there in usa) PAL-SECAM... u over there have NTSC, AFAIK

actually i used an nvidia g-force 2 (64mb) with s-video out on a mache with duron 1000;Hz and 1,3 GB of RAM to watch my dvdīs.

and it automaticly turned from my desired resolution on monitor (1024*768) to a lower ONE on TV (640*480.. i think)

but each time when i switch from monitor to tv (have an maybe 5 years old NON-plasma tv) i ever had the problem that when iam about to use any kind of menu or even context menu, i needed to walk over to the tv to see what iam doing... i also tried once to just search a lil bit on ebay on my couch but had the problems told up above...

anyway... here where sold such (surfing television stations) on ome order television... means u have a wireless keyboard with trackball as mouse and only need to plugin the station itselfs into scart (sameway iam conecting my pc to tv (s-video-scart(needed to fix that first with a (here its called "kondensator") of 2,2 ĩF) and ususaly to ur telefone line (buildin modem (means expensive internet) AND those "surfing statons" have an absolutly clear readable written font... thatīs what iam just wondering...

the point of it is actually i would like to build something similar, with my own menu, so that i just have a well looking menu ... sure i can buy a plasma tv... but iam also thinking of builing it for selling it later on ebay ... and theres the point.. i dont kno which kinda tv the buyer will have (TFT tvīs are rare)

greetz
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by javatis
    AND those "surfing statons" have an absolutly clear readable written font...
    They also use a larger bolder font meant for reading on a TV.

The two main factors are the resolution, TV is much lower than a monitor. TV's also use "round pixels", this produces a softer image. Monitors use "square pixels", the edges of text are much more defined.

As suggested set your monitor resolution as low as it can go and increase the font size. You can also try some different font types....
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!