VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Would you be interested in a buy/sell/trade forum section?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    15-25% of sale goes to the site? That's a pretty steep tax there, you'd scare everyone off or inflate the prices.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't really think that this would seriously open things up to any legal action against the moderators -- if that were true, then half the forums I participate in (I also sorta "collect" IHC trucks and vintage Saab cars) that have "classifieds" sections would be shut down and/or overwhelmed by spam and that just hasn't happened (and these boards have been up for years).

That being said, I'm neither strongly for or against a "buy/sell/trade" forum, but if one were to be created, I can't imagine making the mods or Baldrick in any way responsible for content besides removing blatant spam stuff. And I would assume there would be some sort of "sign-up" section that would eliminate gross offenders ... hopefully ... ...

All that being said, I personally don't really see much of a need or use for such a forum here -- no offense, but for obscure and/or rare items (like vintage car parts), that can be worth searching forums for, but nobody's looking for a "collectible" VCR or if they are, they're looking on eBay because somebody knows how much it's worth. Or doesn't know how much it's worth!

Being I already check Craigslist and eBay, I don't see that people who would have video stuff to buy/sell/trade would post here when there are already established markets with a strong audience already established. Heck, I know there are other auction sites besides eBay but I rarely visit them -- just like I know there are other video sites besides videohelp but when you find the best in some area, you just tend to stick with it, ya know?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No way. Bad idea.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by vitualis
    I'm actually in favour of it... though it would require a lot of moderation.
    Hey, one possible idea though I have no idea what it would take on the back-end to do something like this -- y'know how we now have links in our profiles (if we want) to our web pages and stuff? I know that eBay can have links to sellers and current items -- how about something like a "link" within a users profile that could be a variation on a link to items currently for sale on eBay?

This may be an absolute pain in the keister to implement so again this is just throwing out ideas. But with something like that, if it's workable, if a person here is known and respected and has stuff to sell (without making it a blatant advert in the forums), interested people could look and see and that might be a way to profit from being a good and trustworthy forum member.

Again again again this is just throwing out ideas, any web people out there know how doable something like that might be?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    WOW!!!!!!!
    The vote is awful close!!!!!!!! closer than it was the other day!!!!

Yes! 47% [ 159 ]
    No 52% [ 175 ]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As most of the forum memers that visit videohelp are in the USA, (and im not), I would say NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by waheed
    As most of the forum memers that visit videohelp are in the USA, (and im not), I would say NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    Most forum users (60-70%) come from outside the USA.

I would be ok supporting a trial.. but I fear it would not benifit VH enough to be worth the hassel.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I wouldn't mind a Buy/Sell/Trade forum here. It might be cool. You never know unless you try it out. If it gets sucky real fast, then modify it or end it altogether.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by shelbyGT
    15-25% of sale goes to the site? That's a pretty steep tax there, you'd scare everyone off or inflate the prices.
    I just meant that this site deserves a cut of the profits. Im really split on this so it seems to be up to Baldrick. Either way Im cool with it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I voted yes, but after reading what others posted, I am now undecided. In the end I agree with what Flaystus stated on page1...
    Eh I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, but it would need alot of moderation to keep it from being SPAMMED up.

I wouldn't mind the extra moderation either. I just want to be clear exactly what will be happening if its done.

Also you'd want to have another sub forum of sorts where people can comment of bad or good experiences with specific users.

Its gets complicated fast. I can clearly see the advantage over something as impersonal as eBay but I can also see a clear disadvantage.

So I guess my answer is Yes, if you decide its worth it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No. I don't trust any of you seedy MFer's!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It could turn this site into a war zone when the "you screwed me!" starts.
    No Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by GKar
    No Thanks
    That what I thought,as I said there will ALWAYS be scammers taking advantage of the new buy/sell/trade forum section.
    So when you get "You F***ing screwed me,Baldrick will have a lot of bother on the site to deal with,as will the moderators.
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i vote yes.

i think its a good idea, course there would have to be rules.

i have a brand new graphics card....any takers?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by GKar
    No Thanks

I wouldn't mind a buy/sell/trade forum, as long as nobody is selling "the Ipod I just won for free in http......"

You just have to know your seller and take a shot. Besides, I know there's a lot of hardware you're not using that might interest somebody else.
    1f U c4n r34d 7h1s, U r34lly n33d 2 g3t l41d!!!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yes=49%
    No=51%

Are people voting Yes more than once.
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There would have to be an arbitration forum, credit card based registration for buyer seller security, feedback and all sorts of hassles that would make this a nightmare to administer. You'd have to sign up for Pre-Paid Legal because no matter the good intentions the lawyers would come a knockin eventually. Not worth it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by laspis59
    Yes=49%
    No=51%

i don't think thats possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, if there are any Naked Geek types around, they may have access to several bogus accounts for the purpose of making this their new selling grounds (not that this simple poll will actually dictate the structure of this site).
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ya know what i find amusing........

All this debate & voting yet no one has said anything about the very first post to this thread 8)

Originally Posted by Baldrick
    No.
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1398398#1398398

I guess when it come's down to it, Our illustrious leader has the final say

And we can all see what his vote is already :P

Originally Posted by tenders
    Originally Posted by laspis59
    Yes=49%
    No=51%

i don't think thats possible.
    Yes it is, from the same account and username
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, my answer is NO: Leaving the subject of the Spam to a side, in the different posts that I've read, I've seen that there is people from all arround the world posting here, so, what interest would have someone from Argentina (I'm from Argentina) if someone from Sweden wants so sell a DVD burner?. I think that there is already localized sites on each country (e-bay in US, "derremate" or "mercadolibre" in Argentina, and so on) where you can buy or sell whatever you want. I'm afraid that such buy/sell/trade section could ruin this EXELLENT site, filling it with spam, and useless advices (useless is about the point I've mention that we are all from diferent places).

Greetings to all
    Congratulations and keep up the good work to the administrators
    Sandro S. Eriakian
    Buenos Aires
    Argentina
    Quote Quote  
  23. As I stated before, a few simple rules can cut out most of the "spam". Many forums have a trading section that works well. VH would take absolutely no legal responsibility. It would be nothing more of a message board for interested buyers and sellers. You would have to take your own risk.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  24. It's possible to implement this new buy\sell\trade section and you can delete spam and ban the spammer,but you cant ban a scammer until the scam has already been carried out.
    If someone gets conned,you'll have a lot of angry people on your case.
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd vote yes on the following stipulations:
    You can only sell/buy/trade one item a day
    You must be a member here for 90 days
    It must be a Private 1 on 1 sale, ie no businesses allowed
    You must be registerd with an official pay transaction service.ie - Paypal, Stormpay, ubid, etc. etc..
    Grievances over sales must be processed through the processing site..ie- Paypal,Ubid, etc etc..
    In order to sell/trade via this site, a maintenance/registration fee for this specific service only should be required. This would be only for the purpose of providing costs to host and maintain the webpages displaying the items for sale/trade. This fee would be independant of the sales/trade transaction, not associated with it in any manner except as a cost to display the transaction being offered.
    A grading system which would curtail shady or misrepresentative sales, ie positive/negative feedback for all transactions.
    No Warez/Bootleg/illegal copies of anything
    So in other words this place should become Videohelp-bay
    Quote Quote  
  26. At the Very start Paying maintenance/registration is not a good Idea,It wont work,Ebay has Way more Members/Buyers better off giving them the Money and you are guaranteed to sell the item.

I would think selling somthing here would be Like selling something to your Friend.

An you wont get very Far if all you took was Paypal/StromPay. some people dont have or like these options. I sell on ebay I take Paypal and Money Orders.
    I love getting the Money Orders no FEE's to Paypal, More for me..
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't let videohelp.com become yet another forum for people trying to sell things. If some one puts in a post outside the trade forum for help others will just respond "buy my item" and waste everyones time. Keep the site's integrity, no selling!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just had a thought ...

Maybe the buy/sell/trade forum section can be for FAIR TRADE only BUT if someone has something they want to sell and they have put it up on eBay the would be able to ANNOUNCE it on that forum section (but no other section).

This way let sites like eBay handle the selling BUT at least we can look here for announcements and the odd ball fair trade item.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I started reading this thread, I had to look twice and make sure it was really a new thread and not an old resurrected one. It gave me a huge case of deja vu. Or really more like deja deja deja deja vu. With most of the same suspects posting most of the same predictions of doom or suggestions to use Ebay, several for the 4th time or more.

Personally I say try it and then if it turns into a big problem, kill it. A little whining is unavoidable and not a big deal IMO; it can be dealt with the same way as whining in any other section. A few rules would have to be spelled out in advance as others have suggested.
    Quote Quote