VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    i got a movie and tried to burn both discs using toast 5 i extacted the data using astarte cd copy 2.0 and when i burned the cd's they didn't work yet this worked on two previous vcd's could someone help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just try a Disc copy in toast.
    If this doesn't work;
    try copying the biggest .dat file on the VCD to your HD.
    Then drop it in toast as an normal MPEG.

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-18 14:03:58, markpith wrote:
    Just try a Disc copy in toast.
    If this doesn't work;
    try copying the biggest .dat file on the VCD to your HD.
    Then drop it in toast as an normal MPEG.

Mark
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

Mark:
    I had a similar problem as barduct, apparently related to the way the original video file was encoded.
    Here's my experience:

We have commercial videotapes for which we own the copyrights that we want to sell in vcd format. Original analog tapes are on high quality media such as beta SP. Our duplicating house had the equipment to do real-time encoding using a commercial machine--I think a Terrapin and another made by Data Video corp. They did not first make an Mpeg file which I know I can handle in-house to make vcd's with a Mac G4 and Toast 5 cd burning software.

The original discs they made for me play OK on a Pioneer set-top box and are also OK on a PC using Windows Media Player 7 or on a Mac with a late version of QuickTime player. To play on computers, you do have to navigate to the dat file which would be a little awkward for our customers. Nevertheless the original is OK for our purposes. The problem is that we have not yet
    figured out how to duplicate the vcd. Neither has our duping house who are more video people than computer jocks. I tried just copying over the dat file but the mac can't even read it. Toast just doesn't seem to recognize the disc formatted this way.

I'm also willing to go to any commercial duplicator who'd be willing to make small quantities for us.
    Any ideas for duping in-house using a Mac or for commercial duping would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try to convert .dat file to a normal .mpg, the only problem is that you'll loose some to a lot of quality.
    You could also try to capture the movie again, but then again the result will not be great.
    Or try it on a PC.
    I can't think of other solutions.

Mark
    Quote Quote