VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thinking about getting one of these.

Any info would appreciated.

anyone know where I can find a pic of the rear panel?

Tia-ron
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tried to put the pic in, just wont work for me, sorry
    kip
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Kip. I downloaded an instruction manual so I now know what's on the back of the unit.

Ron
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LiteOn is a great unit. Excellent video quality.

Although, be it noted, some people can get hum or hiss on the tuner. It depends on your setup, the tuner is touchy to extraneous noise in a signal or power. Never on s-video or composite inputs.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One nice thing about the LiteOn recorder is that there is a reliable hack that will bypass Macrovision and also add a 3-hour recording mode.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Had two 5005:

-Bad Tuners
    -Strobe/Shakey picture
    -Tinted
    -Poor recordings
    -Bad tech support

Avoid at all costs !
    Read the many posts here and on other forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bad tuners? Depends on your setup. Can be. Then again, maybe not. This problem is cable/signal/power related.

Strobe/shakey picture? Never heard that one before. Never seen it. Some models have picture jitter if you let them overheat. Don't let them overheat.

Tinted? Some models, usually the ILO clones, did this on some firmwares. A few were outright hardware defects. Not common. Not heard this in many months now.

Poor recordings? I'd disagree. The LSI encoder chipset does an excellent job.

Bad tech support? Depends. It's not as good as it used to be, but they usually respond and help. No tech support is perfect.

JVC and Pioneer make better recorders. But I own two LiteOn units and am relatively satisfied with them. Especially when transferring S-VHS to DVD.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have only had one for about 6 months bought it off ebay already hacked; works perfectly or at least has for maybe 50 VHS movies and at least 15 golf VHS tapes I have recorded from the VCR and then used Shrink to reauthor to clean up the start and end points and just like the bunny it keeps on agoin.
    kip
    Quote Quote  
  10. I must admit, its fussy on its media. I'm using Fuji and am getting fabulous results. I don't think you'll get better video quality for the money. $140 Canadian is a gift. The Guider menu is also very simple.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does this player play mpeg files, avi files like a divx player would?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Nope, no avi
    -Yar, matey!-
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can this DVD recorder record 3.5-4 hours of tv and not do funky things with it like the Panasonic does?

Also im reading that this model of Lite On has some jitter problems with it. Is this related to its proneness to overheat?

nevermind i found the answer. Can you still hack the 5005 if you have a lower version of firmware or do you have to have the newest firmware for the hacks?
    Quote Quote  
  14. The newest (1101 or 1010) can't be hacked for macrovision, but the 3 hour mode works.

The one before, (0098 on my model) can be hacked with region free, 3 hour, and macrovision.

You can also downgrade and then hack it.
    -Yar, matey!-
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a Lite-on LVW-5005 downloaded the latest firmware LNHA1101.E20 and ran Mr. Wizards hack. The firmware updated ok but still cannot copy protected VHS movies. Still getting the message "Protected Content". I heard this firmware may not allow the ILO Hack to work. If so, can I use an old version of firmware on this machine that ILO hack works on? does anybody have older versions they could email me? I can't seem to get older versions fom the lite-on site because it ask for your serial number and LNHA1101.E20 is all I have been able to get.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You tried to hack 1101 firmware, and the ILO instructions state versions past 0098 do not hack which is why it failed. Go to the ILO site, find 098 version that most closely matches your serial number. The critical parts of serail number are the first 2 sets of 4 digits, and data disk error will result if these don't match. FYI the first set of 3 digits within parenthesis of serail number will tell status of region and macrovision. The second digit should be 1 for macrovision disabled, first digit should be 0 indicating region free. Those 3 digits should be something like 015 after a successful flash to remove macrovision and region free.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I own the Radio Shack version (5006). I bought it for playing back PAL DVD's, which it does great, but watch out if you want to record stuff on it and view it on different DVD player, as the brightness will be too high. Playing it back on the liteon looks ok.
    Quote Quote  
  18. You could try the Liteon user's forum at http://ccgi.mgillespie.plus.com/liteon/smf/ They have links for lots of different versions of firmware for different Liteon recorders.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had nothing but problems with mine, granted that was after using the hacked firmware. I recorded some shows for a friend and he told me there was audio hiss even though I used the rear composite inputs. I had to pay to send the machine to the U.S. for them to look at, and they were supposed to pay postage to send it back to me. Needless to say, they didn't......
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the liteon 5005 allwrite with hack and let me tell you .... no problems what so ever with this unit . I record from dvd`s , video tapes, direct from my cable with PPV and image quality 5 star sound on a 1 to 10 i give it a 8 . But i tried all formats and it was amazing it did it all plus for region free you do it with the code on your remote 2960 and you have region free ( i have the last samurai from Japan and it was the only unit who could read it not even my Pc read it ) and only for 150.00 in wal-mart in canada.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Had mine for over a year.

Burns any cheap media I throw in it reliably.

Tuner is inferior to my VCR and is not stereo - I run the VCR tuner into the Lite-ON.

People have experienced problems editting Lite-On disks on PCs with older firmware revs (including me). New firmware fixes the problems, but the newer firmware does not support the Macrovision hack.

Sima video stabilizer works with this unit.

Some have had heat related problems. I haven't, but my machine is situated where ventilation is excellent.
    Quote Quote