VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I reformatted my hard drive a couple of weeks ago and haven't been able to burn CD's since. I use WIndows XP Home on an emachine T3085 with a NEC 2500A DVD writer.

THe problem is my PC is only recognizing this as a CD burner, not DVD. It worked fine up until the reformat. I must need a new driver. ANyone know where I could find one? I've searched online and haven't had any luck. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You don't need a driver, it's in Windows. What program are you using to burn with?

Try uninstalling the IDE channel the burner is on, that sometimes helps.

Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers>Primary or Secondary channel>right click>uninstall. While you are there, check to see if the writer is set to DMA or PIO mode. Should be DMA 2 or better.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by redwudz
    You don't need a driver, it's in Windows. What program are you using to burn with?

Try uninstalling the IDE channel the burner is on, that sometimes helps.

Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers>Primary or Secondary channel>right click>uninstall. While you are there, check to see if the writer is set to DMA or PIO mode. Should be DMA 2 or better.

I am using Roxio 5.3.5, but WIndows will not write to it either. When I put a blank CD in the drive, I can use the XP wizard to burn my disk, When I put a blank DVD in, it always gives errors.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the IDE channels, but it did not seem to have any effect.

Any other suggestions? DMA was enabled on both the primary and secondary.
    Quote Quote  
  4. This is a common problem in Windows and it should in no way effect the operation of your drive. What errors are you seeing?
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by chas0039
    This is a common problem in Windows and it should in no way effect the operation of your drive. What errors are you seeing?
    In WIndows Explorer, when I have a blank DVD in the drive and right click on a file and choose Send To CD: Drive, it says "Windows has encountered a problem while trying to copy this file" and then just hangs up. But with a blank CD, it works as usual -- It opens a separate folder to be burned to the CD and then will burn no problem

In Roxio, it just says I don't have a DVD burner and refuses to acknowledge its presence or burn at all to a blank DVD. CD's no problem.
    Undewr CD Drive properties, it says I can use CD-R or CD-RW, but no drop down option for any DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I said you didn't need a driver, but I wasn't thinking of motherboard drivers, just DVD-RW drivers. Anyway, you might want to check your computer's website and see if they have any updated motherboard drivers. May be a long shot, but worth trying, especially if you used your motherboard disc to re-install your MB drivers. That disc may have had older drivers than were installed on the computer originally.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Had this problem with NEC 2500A in that my imaging program only saw the drive as a CD type. Went to NEC web site got the firmware updated to v 1.9 and that cured the problem. Original firmware was v 1.7 - hope this helps.

BCNU,
    colven
    Quote Quote