VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Any suggestions before I buy? I figured I'd ask the experts here. It's a huge investment I don't want to regret. I'm looking at the Panasonic 50" at Circuit City right now which has gotten good reviews but I think they have a newer one that just came out this year. Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mitsubishi WD 52" DLP has gotten High ratings over at Cnet. A buddy of mine just got one and it is beautiful....He got it for $2499 on sale from $3500 from Best buy or circuit city
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why plasma? Why not DLP or LCD? Plasma has burn in and can have pixels where out.
    bits
    Quote Quote  
  4. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Oh sorry I didn't even notice he was looking for plasma? I know nothing about plasma, as I am more interested and impressed with DLP.....
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
  5. I obviously need to do more research. What is DLP? I thought plasma was the way to go for HD TV?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i wouldnt even think about plasma for a while.. DLP stands for digital light processing. and is the best bang for the buck these days and has a good damn picture.. ghosting is minimal and burn in isnt a problem.. a good DLP will be well under 4000.. and look nicer than the 4000 plasma.

people will argue but google DLP vs plasma. hell for 4000 you can get one hell of a DLP projector with a HUGE screen and have a TV as big as your whole wall. imagine having a 7 or 8 foot tv lol.. with 2500 ansi lumins or higher youll be ableto watch it with windows up

sorry not what you asked.. but check into it
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mitsubishi WD 52" DLP
    I too wanted a plasma till I saw this 52" mitsubishi TV
    I got mine from OneCall.com for $1895
    Showed up it 4 days in perfect condition.

It have the best upscaler from 480 tp 720P of anything I've seen

It displays the most incredible and natural looking image of any set I've ever seen and I've been shopping for 3 years
    No DVD can withstand the power of DVDShrink along with AnyDVD!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by m82492
    Any suggestions before I buy? I figured I'd ask the experts .
    All Praises and Kudo's to the Sages and Video Masters here at Videohelp.Com but you can find some folks who are specifically focused in the area of Hi-Def TV sets at - http://www.highdefforum.com/index.php

I agree with the comments about Plasma...Forget about it right now, do some research in DLP and LCOS models..I'm looking at purchasing a 70 or 72 inch LCOS in the next couple of months...I saw a Sony KDS 70Q006 model(LCOS variant) in a store the other day..Blew me away, Unbelievable!!..(price tag was unbelievable too, $13000 at Tweeters..) Thought I'd seen the advancement between regular broadcast quality and Hi-Def...I was wrong..Clarity, sharpness, vividness, crispness... all took new meaning when I saw the Sony model..I haven't seen them in person but these two models (70 inchers cause thats what I'm looking for) were pointed out to me also..

72" DLP
    http://www.planetdtv.com/PROJECTION_TVS/TOSHIBA/72HM195.htm

70" LCOS
    http://www.planetdtv.com/PROJECTION_TVS/JVC/70FH96.htm

the listing on the websites state the Toshiba Model is their best rated model, however I was told the JVC model is the best to come out so far of any model, and is even leaps and bounds far and above the Sony Model..I'm trying to find a store where I can go see it in person..
    By all means if you're gonna put down $4000 +, make certainyou do your homework..Thats what I'm doing, and the Hi Def forum is whee I'm learning alot..I'm gonna throw down somewhere between 6-10 Thousand and I'm GONNA get my Moneys worth..
    Take your time and do some research, and by all means make certain after you find some models you want to consider go find a place that has them on display, and take a DVD with you.. make certain you can test view it in a brightly lit area, and that you can see how it'll look in both broadcast mode Receiving a signal via OTA and Cable/Sat Hi Def Feed.., and how it'll play your DVD too..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No Matter what everyone has said there is a BIG, BIG difference. LCD & DLP are Great. Projection is a DUD. But if you want a REAL TV Just go to any store and you will immediately notice the difference between Plasma and the rest. The others are great but can not stand up to a Plasma in Clarity, Colors. Of Course the plasma will last maybe 10 years, I really doubt it but it is so Crisp. Its you Money, DLP & LCD are Great.....BUT A PLASMA IS A PLASMA...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What is the lifespan of a DLP bulb? What is the replacement cost?
    Do LCD's lose brightness over time?
    I'm also in the market for a new tv. But I may wait with all the protection hassle.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Marv...

Not withstanding your professional opinion, all the Plasma's I've looked at in the last few days in store, can't stand up to the DLP and LCOS models I've looked at..side by side..Maybe it's my eyesight..but Plasma still has some work to do to even get close to the LCOS Sony Model I saw..And the Projection models I've looked at, maybe you're partially correct in them being Dudes, but there are a few that are outstanding self contained rear projection units..I've owned a 51 inch Panasonic rear projection HDTV set for two years and I'm very satisfied with it..100% improvement over what I had.Always elicits comments when visitors are over about how clear and vivid the picture is..even influenced some friends to go out and buy their own sets....DLP has some "Screen Door effect in some (not all) models, but the LCOS ones I've seen are the ones I'm gonna go for..For me, and just me alone, they are visually superior than any of the Plasma's I've looked at in the last few days..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's the one that comes closest to $4000 without going over
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by RDS1955

DLP has some "Screen Door effect in some (not all) models, but the LCOS ones I've seen are the ones I'm gonna go for.
    I too am in the market for a HDTV around Xmas/New year time frame. What is "Screen door effect" and what does it look like?

I dont know much about the technology or which one to get, but reading this thread, I'm leaning toward the LCOS and DLP w/HDMI. Plasma is a little out of my price range right now. That 52" Mitsubishi mentioned above is right squarely in my price range tho
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If I was in the market for a 50" Plasma I'd go with the Optoma PD50. It's relatively priced to move at $2500 and offers some of the best viewing I've seen with 50" + Plasmas. The contrast ratio is rather high, it offers HDCP/DVI support and native 16:9 image resolution for optimized HD Widescreen viewing.

The screen door effect is only available as a bonus to those who purchase Digital Projectors (DLPs). Basically it shows where each pixel stops and another begins. The larger the screen, the more of this effect you get. I call it a bonus is because some people try to push DLPs when you are in the market for a new TV. I'd recommend against them completely. Some DLPs even attempt to soften this effect which even makes the picture look worse. The reason it's called this is because you can achieve the same effect by staring through a screen door where the environment beyond the screen door appears to have a checkered pattern running through it. CRT projectors do not have this feature.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    thanks for the info ROF. Didnt know that...........dont want that

Thats a great price for a Plasma. I'll have to check it out.

Also, the HDCP/DVI support and native 16:9 image resolution for optimized HD Widescreen viewing, isnt that a requirement to have for the next generation HD-DVD? Thought I read that somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DVWannaB
    thanks for the info ROF. Didnt know that...........dont want that

Thats a great price for a Plasma. I'll have to check it out.

Also, the HDCP/DVI support and native 16:9 image resolution for optimized HD Widescreen viewing, isnt that a requirement to have for the next generation HD-DVD? Thought I read that somewhere.

Correct. Be careful of words like HD-Ready, HD Optimized, EDTV, and HDTV. Yes, they all support HD, some more than others, but whether they support the HD of today and tomorrow can be found in the specifications of each individual device. I was looking towards buying a 40+ Inch Plasma. The things that were important to me were:

HDCP/DVI Support
    16:9 Native Widescreen
    High Contrast Ratio
    Crisp/Stable Image Viewing

The thing I didn't like about LCD screens is the viewing at an angle. Most people buy large screens so they can have friends over. since not everyone can sit in front of the screen viewing from an angle is important. All LCD Televisions can not support viewing at an angle because of the nature of the screens. Another point against LCD was their contrast ratios when compared to Plasma. When viewing dark scenes the LCD falls flat compared to plasma viewing. Another noticeable problem with larger LCD is artifacting on fast moving images. When dealing with computer LCDs this is called "ghosting". It's as though the image is still where it was two milliseconds ago because the LCD circuitry didn't turn the lights off, so to speak.

The reasons I avoided DLP was because of the screen door effect as described above but also because of the brightness of the image and distracting flicker I noticed when viewing them in the store. The image was probably the most crisp of all three (DLP, Plasma, LCD) but the color flicker gave me a headache. Another thing against DLP in my shopping was that the lamp needs replacing every 8-10K hours and can cost $300-$800 to replace. The model I was looking at had a $550 lamp.

Something I did not know when I started looking was that Plasma technology has actually been around for almost 50 years.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    The screen door effect is only available as a bonus to those who purchase Digital Projectors (DLPs). Basically it shows where each pixel stops and another begins. The larger the screen, the more of this effect you get. I call it a bonus is because some people try to push DLPs when you are in the market for a new TV. I'd recommend against them completely. Some DLPs even attempt to soften this effect which even makes the picture look worse. The reason it's called this is because you can achieve the same effect by staring through a screen door where the environment beyond the screen door appears to have a checkered pattern running through it. CRT projectors do not have this feature.
    FYI: DLP practically doesn't have screen door effect but this is true for LCD.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    All Digital Projectors have them. It's because of the control electronics around each pixel. CRTs do not have these individual pixel controllers. I will say that on large screen LCDs it's much more noticeable especially when you get into higher native resolutions, but it still can be distracting.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Theoretically yes, all digital projector have it but, again, on DLP TVs screen door effect is negligible and can't be used as a factor in choosing DLP versus plasma TV.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimsmith
    Theoretically yes, all digital projector have it but, again, on DLP TVs screen door effect is negligible and can't be used as a factor in choosing DLP versus plasma TV.
    Nonexistent is always preferable. What one considers "negligible" someone else views as a distraction.
    Clearly it is a factor in someones decision.
    Thanks for both sides please continue the discussion.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Just went through this exercise at work (I work for an ad agency. Picture quality is critical). We also liked being able to hang it on a wall (not possible with rear projection/dlp/or lcd projection).

We purchased an HP (retail $4200). It's built by Panasonic for HP, but we liked the all-black finish better than the Panny's silver bar along the bottom. And it cost several hundred dollars less. It also came with PC connectors which the comparably priced Panasonic didn't have (a more expensive model does).

We went with Plasma over LCD because the picture was noticeably better. I think this is primarily because of the difference in contrast ratio. 3000:1 on the Plasma. 800:1 on the LCD 40 incher we were looking at. Black levels were much richer.

It supposedly has a 60,000 hour life. In the 10 or 12 years it takes to reach the life expectancy, we'll be ready for new technology anyway.

Some other deciding factors: LCD Projection and DLP require bulb replacement every 2 or 3 years ($250-$300 a pop). DLP often has the "rainbow" effect and a spinning part that could potentially wear-out (you techies can probably explain better than I can).

I was also very favorably impressed with the Pioneer, but it was quite a bit more expensive.

Here's a link for an online retailer:
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=storefronts&cat...=PW778AA%23ABA

We found it a few hundred less at RC Willey (a local furniture/electronics store)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As a follow-up to the discussion above, I ended up buying a Maxent 50-inch Plasma HDTV for $2469 and free delivery from Best Buy. This is a very nice HDTV at a great price. I liked it a bit more than the Optoma PD50 mentioned above. Th picture is crystal clean and sharp. Remote leaves a bit more to be desired, but overall I think I am going to be pleased. I will report more when I get it. Should be delivered on Dec. 23 (2 more days).

For those interested, apparently, Best Buy has the exclusive retail sales rights to this TV, so looking around at your local electrons store will prove futile. Altho' Costco does have the 42-inch model, also at a great price.
    BTW, there is a thread I just found over at AVS forum (Plasma & LCD display forum). Some posts have pictures of a movie playing, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hanging a large screen TV on the wall can be a deciding factor sometimes.
    I went for plasma merely because my small (12' X 13') living room actually has more floorspace now that I haven't got a 28" CRT TV taking up space.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I think Plasmas look best next to tubes. They have better depth then LCD and DLP. I think DLP just don't look as vibrant. The only other TV that impressed me was a 60" Sony LCOS for around $5000. I think Panasonic is suppose to be the best bang for the buck the one that has "phd" in the model number if you can't afford a Pioneer.

there's a avsforum.com they are really into HiDef TVs.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I opt for the Plasma tv. After owning 3 different projectors ( 2 LCD's & 1 DLP) replacing the bulbs @ $400 a pop became an expensive hobby so I decided to go for a tv instead. What I found was the LCD, LCOS, DLP all suffered from a wider viewing angle than plasma. I do'nt know about u, but for me it's good to know that I can view my $5000 plus investment from almost any angle in my theatre seating arrangements.
    Live Life 2 The Fullest, Live The Life U Luv & Luv The Life U Live!
    Quote Quote