VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I4U: How is the image quality of Verizon FiOS TV?
    Craig: The picture is really the best that I have seen ever, even on non-HD channels.

I4U: What about the promised HD channels?
    Craig: I have about 20 HD channels including all the major networks starting at 801 and working down to PBS HD, WB HD, TNT HD, UPN HD, NFL HD, ESPN HD & ESPN2 HD and to HBO HD. I even have some that I have not heard of like Wealth TV.

I4U: Anything that reminds you that it is not cable or satellite?
    Craig: I know that it is not satellite because it rained over the weekend and we all know what happens then. It is not cable because the starter channel package is really affordable.

I4U: What can you tell us about the video on demand channels?
    Craig: As far as the VOD, a lot of shows are free, the wife loves the 18 or so Sex and the City episodes that she can watch and rewind, fast-forward, but canít record. I really have my own DVD collection on my remote. If you have HBO then you get all the movies that appear that month and so on with Cinemax and Starz, etc. The new releases are $3.95 and movies from the library are $2.95.

I4U: Is the DVR function in the Verizon FiOS setop box (by Motorola) usable?
    Craig: The DVR hard drive is about par for the size of the box, 30 hrs. Dish has the 80 hrs DVR but is the size of a boat. The 30 hrs gives you enough to record your month of favorite shows but with the VOD, you are really cutting your live TV viewing time in half.

Besides TV, Verizon offers also broadband internet access over their FiOS network. You can get up to 30Mps/5Mps.

"Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    30Mps - hmmmm

you could download a whole dvd in about 3 - 4 ... or 10 minutes for DL

OR 5 minutes tops for H264 for a 2 hour movies in HD !!

blockbuster should be all over this sales model in the future ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    30Mps - hmmmm

you could download a whole dvd in about 3 - 4 ... or 10 minutes for DL

OR 5 minutes tops for H264 for a 2 hour movies in HD !!

blockbuster should be all over this sales model in the future ..
    who in the hell has huge pipes for a 30Mps upload...I guess when (if) fiber to the door spreads, it won't be a problem.

JSB
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I find it interesting that the connection is still asymmertric, with 30Mb down and only 5Mb up. Since the connection is fiber, there is no technical reason for this limitation. It will certainly add fuel to the complaints of ISPs forcing customers to be only consumers of internet services rather than full participants.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by phelix
    I find it interesting that the connection is still asymmertric, with 30Mb down and only 5Mb up. Since the connection is fiber, there is no technical reason for this limitation.
    I agree, but still find myself laughing at how we can bitch about only 5MB up.

I am just glad to see them taking the steps they are, to get us higher speeds, static addresses, and the ability to put my webpage on my computer (no Comcast 25mb limit, ftp transfers, etc).

The TV channels also appeal to me as an alternative to the whole Blu-ray/HD DVD fiasco-in-the-making.

Why risk investing in the losing disc format, when I can get equivalent PPV - at least until the "war" is won?
    "Dare to be Stupid!" - Wierd Al Yankovic
    Quote Quote  
  6. Cool!
    Too bad it's not available in my area :
    http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/channels/Fios/HighSpeedInternetForHome.asp
    Note to self:buy more Verizon stock.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by phelix
    I find it interesting that the connection is still asymmertric, with 30Mb down and only 5Mb up. Since the connection is fiber, there is no technical reason for this limitation. It will certainly add fuel to the complaints of ISPs forcing customers to be only consumers of internet services rather than full participants.
    If you want a server account, you can pay for a server account. Upstream of the last mile, fees are bandwidth based.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote