VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm getting my Pixma 4000 on Friday and should get the cd/dvd tray the same day. I plan to do the mod as soon as I get everything. From what I've read, the mod that enables the US version to use the cd/dvd tray isn't very complicated (I hope that's right - I'm fairly computer savvy, but by no means a tech wiz). Anyone here do the mod yet? What are owners of the 4000 or 5000's impression of the printer?

I can't wait to get it! I had my Epson R200 for a year and a half, and after the CIS system died on me last week, I had enough. Can't wait to move on to a better printer - but only time will tell I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I modified my Pixma 5000 a few months ago and bought a Canon tray off eBay. I love it! The prited disks look great. So far, I have only printed to disk with Canon's software. Other programs can print to disk, but I haven't tried them yet.

Don't worry, the modification procedure is very easy. First, you need to remove the plastic cover over the slot where the disk tray goes. (It just pops out.) Then, if I remember correctly, it's a simple registry change (I did this manually, but I've seen little programs that will do it for you.), and then a simple sequence of buttons to press on the printer itself. Just follow the directions carefully, and it should take no more than a couple minutes.

I assume you have (or are getting) the modification instructions. I know they are posted on several web sites, but I don't remember what they're called.

And you should already know this, but just to be sure... You need to use inkjet (not thermal) printable media.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  3. I bought my ip4000 CD/DVD-print-ready...so no mods to make to the hardware.

Printing on inkjet media is simplicity itself. No aligning of artwork necessary - well, for this specific artwork anyway. I popped the CD in the media tray and the printer did the rest.

The ip4000 is fast, but again it depends on how complex the artwork is and how much of the CD print area it covers. My initial full color artwork was simple with lots of white surrounding space, and took only seconds per CD to print.

I noticed when printing tiny 3 to 4 point light-face text fonts in a mid-grey color on the white background, the text is legible but slightly uneven in density. Going up one or two points in the font size seems to cure this problem.

Colors are crisp, clean and true to the original art.

Cleanliness is important - no fingerprints anywhere on the media and a clean dust-free printer and CD feed tray!

The ink dries within seconds but is not waterproof. I purchased a spray can of clear 'Crystal Kote' fixative so I can give the finished CD/DVD a light waterproof coating - on the printed surface only!

I produce my artwork in Photoshop and have so far tried 150, 200 and 300dpi print resolutions, using Normal and High Quality print settings. There's not a huge difference in the printed result, nor in the speed-per-CD.

The ip4000 has opened a long-overdue door to attractive low-run media production.

P.S. I'm still experimenting
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do you guys do for ink? What seems to be the most reliable yet cost effective solution? I don't want to ever relive the Epson R200 CIS fiasco, but I do want a low cost printing alternative to buying the OEM cartridges (unless your quality suffers noticeably).
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've only had the ip4000 for a week, so I'm still on the original ink tanks.

There's a longish thread about alternative ink supplies for this Canon model somewhere on the forum. Do a search for "ink ip4000" and you should come across it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Can somebody please outline the steps necessary to mod an Pixma IP4000 to allow printing to discs directly.

I already loved this printer. If this is possible it would be icing on the cake.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I found a very long thread on VideoHelp this morning, that included modding US versions of the ip4000 to take the CD tray. There was even someone offering CD trays. Have a look - I'm sure you'll find it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Here is a comprehensive look at the necessary changes:

http://pixma.web1000.com/
    Quote Quote  
  9. That link is as dead as a dodo m8.

But this works: http://www.pixma.web1000.com/
    Quote Quote  
  10. Works for me.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did the mod last night - talk about easy!!! It took me a whole 5 minutes to do it. I've been printing cd/dvds this morning and they look great. After using an Epson R200 for a year and a half, I'm taken back by how easy it is to insert the tray. The R200 is so darn finicky; sometimes it would work and other times it wouldn't. Another thing I love about this printer is that it's FAST; at least much faster than the Epson. Well, I'm a happy man as long as I can find a low cost ink replacement option that doesn't jeopordize quality.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nickelzy
    I did the mod last night - talk about easy!!! It took me a whole 5 minutes to do it.
    I told you so! I'm glad to hear you are up and running. I never had a CD printer before my Pixma. My old printer was an Epson that I bought before the days of burnable CDs, let alone printable ones.

I have a dilemma about the ink as well. I have always used OEM ink. The one and only time I ever tried "compatible" ink in my old Epson, it clogged the print heads. So far, I've only used actual Canon ink at a cost of about $12 per cartridge. I have looked, but have not found, a source to order Canon cartiges any cheaper than they are in my local store (after shipping costs). I have seen Canon "compatible" cartridges for $3-4 each. I can afford to pay $12 for Canon cartrdges. On the other hand, I hate to waste money and if the $3-4 ones are just as good... But my previous bad experience makes me scared to try any kind of "compatible" ink again. Hence my dilemma.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I buy mine on Ebay,The only ones I wont use are the Yellow ones, I find these cause the most color differnce.I always use Canon Yellow.
    Quote Quote  
  14. nickelzy,

Did you just replace the CD tray or did you change the roller assembly ( http://pixma.web1000.com/Roller/index.htm ) as well?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Eyedoctor - nah, I just replaced the cd tray.

Canadatech - thanks for the heads up concerning the yellow cartridges. However, what about the different black cartridges? I'm confused about the different types of black cartridges that the Canon uses. Do replacement ink cartridges differ in the black cartridges, or are they the same thing? My understanding is that Canon made these black cartridges and the ink is slightly different. I'm wondering if replacement cartridges take that in consideration and do a good job matching what canon intended them to be. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated! I'd like to order some replacement ink in the near future so I have it ready when I need it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. i keep trying to go to the website but get nothing but pop ups. Where can i find info. How much do the inks cost and are they waterproof
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not waterproof and the site works - you just need to keep trying. As for the ink, just do a search and you'll find that info. I think just off the top of my head that Canon cartridges go for about 12-13 bucks each (and there are five cartridges needed). However, if you go with generic ink, you can get costs down to about 2-3 bucks per cartridge.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One thing I've been looking all over for is better software to use. I REALLY don't like cd label print and I wasn't impressed with Acoustica either. I wish I could just use Epson Print CD software because I've gotten quite comfortable using that software. It seems like it should work, but for some reason, I can't get the disc to line up on the page right. At any rate, any suggestions for other software to use?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by canadateck
    Works for me.
    Where did you get the tray in Canada, or someone who ships to Canada, and how much did it cost?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by nickelzy
    One thing I've been looking all over for is better software to use. I REALLY don't like cd label print and I wasn't impressed with Acoustica either. I wish I could just use Epson Print CD software because I've gotten quite comfortable using that software. It seems like it should work, but for some reason, I can't get the disc to line up on the page right. At any rate, any suggestions for other software to use?
    A new version of Nero Cover Designer is included with Nero 7.0 I've just begun testing it to see if it's better then CD label print.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I came across a program called discus that I like. It's the best program that I've seen and it states on their website that it supports the Pixma line of cd/dvd printers. The only downer is that is costs 39 bucks - darn it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like Discus also supports the Epson R200/300 series, if some people were looking for an alternative to the Epson PrintCD software.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was going to purchase discus this morning, but for some reason, they are old school and won't allow you to download the full version (you have to order it); although you can download the demo. I think I'll look around a little longer just to make sure there isn't a more cost effective solution. I really hate the idea of spending 39 bucks for a labeling software program. However, unless I can find something that is similar to it (in terms of it's capabilities) or if I can figure out how to use Epson PrintCD software, I'll probably spring the cash for it.
    Quote Quote  
  24. just curious as to why you all went with the Pixma? I havent had any problems with my Cis and R200. Is the quality much better? Does it do a better job of printing full (hub printable ) Dvds?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by ultraman36
    just curious as to why you all went with the Pixma? I havent had any problems with my Cis and R200. Is the quality much better? Does it do a better job of printing full (hub printable ) Dvds?
    The Epson's are notorious for having problems and dying. I know people who have had nothing but problems with them and eventually give up and buy a different printer.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After a couple of months with my Epson R200, the tray was a pain to get to work. Sometimes it would print fine, and other times it would eject with an error, resulitng in me trying again. The print speed is not very fast compared to the Canon. The overall quality is not very impressive. Canon beats the R200 on all three of the areas. Also, a fourth being that Canon allows for generic cartridges without any chip - it is MUCH more generic ink friendly.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One thing I don't understand about CD-LabelPrint is that it won't allow me to adjust the inner size of the disc to 26mm (which is what a hub printable disc is). It states that you can not go below 17mm, which is fine, but in actuality, the lowest it will allow you to go is 33mm. The reason for this is that the initial value is 44mm and it will only adjust up to 10mm either direction. Therefore -10mm from 44mm leaves me with an inner circle of 33mm. The only way I see it possible to get the size down to 26mm (like it SHOULD be able to do) is to ajust the inital value - however, I've looked all over and don't see where that can be done. Anyone know how to do this? Or is this just an oversight on the software's part?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by nickelzy
    One thing I don't understand about CD-LabelPrint is that it won't allow me to adjust the inner size of the disc to 26mm (which is what a hub printable disc is). It states that you can not go below 17mm, which is fine, but in actuality, the lowest it will allow you to go is 33mm. The reason for this is that the initial value is 44mm and it will only adjust up to 10mm either direction. Therefore -10mm from 44mm leaves me with an inner circle of 33mm. The only way I see it possible to get the size down to 26mm (like it SHOULD be able to do) is to ajust the inital value - however, I've looked all over and don't see where that can be done. Anyone know how to do this? Or is this just an oversight on the software's part?
    Go to: http://pixma.ulmb.com/?p=132 for Full DVD Instructions
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nickelzy
    Go to 'select paper' and you can choose any template you like.

The only problem I've had is with the extra wide white area on Verbatim full-face printables. The 118mm maximum diameter allowed the Cannon doesn't quite cover it. There's always a thin band of white showing around the edge.
    Quote Quote