VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by ntscuser
    Originally Posted by nickelzy
    One thing I don't understand about CD-LabelPrint is that it won't allow me to adjust the inner size of the disc to 26mm (which is what a hub printable disc is). It states that you can not go below 17mm, which is fine, but in actuality, the lowest it will allow you to go is 33mm. The reason for this is that the initial value is 44mm and it will only adjust up to 10mm either direction. Therefore -10mm from 44mm leaves me with an inner circle of 33mm. The only way I see it possible to get the size down to 26mm (like it SHOULD be able to do) is to ajust the inital value - however, I've looked all over and don't see where that can be done. Anyone know how to do this? Or is this just an oversight on the software's part?
    Go to 'select paper' and you can choose any template you like.

The only problem I've had is with the extra wide white area on Verbatim full-face printables. The 118mm maximum diameter allowed the Cannon doesn't quite cover it. There's always a thin band of white showing around the edge.
    You have to create a new template as per the http://pixma.ulmb.com/?p=132 full dvd instructions. The 118mm outside limit does suck but Nero and other software can defeat this.

It would be better if the inkjet media came with exact measurements and we could just type it in since they all seem to be using different outside measurements.

There is media with 117, 118, 119 and some are odd like 118.5, bloody annoying that they didn't pick a standard.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aaaah... thanks Knightcrawler. I'll give that a go when I get home this afternoon - thanks!

One thing that I wanted to come back to is the program discus that I raved about earlier. Well, after using it more (it is better than the other programs out there, in my opinion), but not worth the 39 bucks. Interestingly enough, the program that I really like the best out of them all is the Epson Print Software. The main reason is because it allows you to do something that the other programs don't (unless I'm missing something). That is, when you insert an image (not a background) it allows you to stretch the image any way you want. This is particularly helpful when the lettering (such as the title of the movie) is going right over the inner hole. With Epson's software, I would just stretch the bottom down (thus distorting the image) but making the title readable. I haven't seen how you can do this with any of the programs, which seems crazy to me. I would LOVE for someone to prove me wrong with Canon's Cd-LabelPrint software.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Don't know exactly what you mean by stretching.

I use my scanner to scan the DVD I am backing up. I then crop the image and can stretch it so that it fits the template perfectly. I click on the image which creates little squares at each corner and in the top and bottom middle. I then drag each little square until the scanned image fits perfectly on the template.

BTW, I am very grateful for this thread as I have owned a Canon Pixma for over a year but did not know about this ability. A great printer is even greater!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by nickelzy
    Aaaah... thanks Knightcrawler. I'll give that a go when I get home this afternoon - thanks!

One thing that I wanted to come back to is the program discus that I raved about earlier. Well, after using it more (it is better than the other programs out there, in my opinion), but not worth the 39 bucks. Interestingly enough, the program that I really like the best out of them all is the Epson Print Software. The main reason is because it allows you to do something that the other programs don't (unless I'm missing something). That is, when you insert an image (not a background) it allows you to stretch the image any way you want. This is particularly helpful when the lettering (such as the title of the movie) is going right over the inner hole. With Epson's software, I would just stretch the bottom down (thus distorting the image) but making the title readable. I haven't seen how you can do this with any of the programs, which seems crazy to me. I would LOVE for someone to prove me wrong with Canon's Cd-LabelPrint software.
    Can we get a picture of this stretching or better yet maybe someone could upload the Epson software somewhere I keep hearing how great it is maybe we can hack it to work with a different printer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KnightCrawler
    A new version of Nero Cover Designer is included with Nero 7.0 I've just begun testing it to see if it's better then CD label print.
    Looks like it does support the Pixma series out of the box. So, how is it?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="p_l"]
    A new version of Nero Cover Designer is included with Nero 7.0 I've just begun testing it to see if it's better then CD label print.

/quote]

There was thread on another website which I'm not allowed to mention here in which it was claimed that setting the outer diameter greater than 118mm resulted in ink being sprayed onto the loading tray and possibly through the hole in the loading tray into the mechanim. The user wasn't 100% sure but the 118mm limit is there for safety reasons.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with the Epson software is that it prints off alignment. It appeared that everything was set up fine, and then after printing, only half of my disc was printed on. I've played around with the settings and no matter what I do, whenever I go into print preview, it shows that it is going to print off the cd - you can see the problem even before you print. I just haven't been able to figure out a solution.

Regarding the stretching... What I'm referring to is the ability to stretch the image either vertically or horizontally past the canvas. With the Epson software, you can drag the side of an image and distort it as far as you want in either direction. Sometimes this comes in handy when I have an image that was meant to be printed on a hub printable disc and I am not using one. In those cases, sometimes the title is over the inner circle, so I want to stretch the image more (I can't seem to figure out how to do that with Canon's software).

Regarding Epson's software, it's not that it is that great. However for me, having the capability which I described above is very important. The other factor is that I've used it for two years and know all of the ins and outs of the program. The other nice thing about the program is because it is fairly basic, it is very easy to use.
    Quote Quote  
  8. [quote="ntscuser"]
    Originally Posted by p_l

/quote]

There was thread on another website which I'm not allowed to mention here in which it was claimed that setting the outer diameter greater than 118mm resulted in ink being sprayed onto the loading tray and possibly through the hole in the loading tray into the mechanim. The user wasn't 100% sure but the 118mm limit is there for safety reasons.
    Borderless printing will also shoot ink all over that is why printers have a waste tank. :P

PS: I can't imagine 118 to 119 would make that big of a difference since the verbatim has an outside diameter of 119 to be printed on.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Regarding the stretching... What I'm referring to is the ability to stretch the image either vertically or horizontally past the canvas. With the Epson software, you can drag the side of an image and distort it as far as you want in either direction. Sometimes this comes in handy when I have an image that was meant to be printed on a hub printable disc and I am not using one. In those cases, sometimes the title is over the inner circle, so I want to stretch the image more (I can't seem to figure out how to do that with Canon's software).
    I guess Background trim feature isn't enough
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, actually it isn't. You don't seem to understand what I've described or you wouldn't think that the background trim feature would be adequate. Or is it that you're being sarcastic?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by nickelzy
    No, actually it isn't. You don't seem to understand what I've described or you wouldn't think that the background trim feature would be adequate. Or is it that you're being sarcastic?
    Being sarcastic because the trim feature is lacking. It definitly needs something that allows you to use full hub images on standard inkjet media.

I get around this by only buying full dvd's, they look much prettier and don't cost much more.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought that this might be the case the second time I read your post

I'm going towards buying full dvds as well, but I've got about 40-50 regular dvds left. Really, that is the solution when it all comes down to it. Nonetheless, I just wish the canvas was larger so you could see the stretched image once it's off the canvas (like Epson software does - the canvas is as large as your image is - so if you keep stretching or enlarging it verticallly or horizontally, so does the canvas.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by p_l

For those with older versions of Nero Cover Designer, which don't have support for Pixma CD's, you can create a custom template in Nero Cover Designer yourself like this. KnightCrawler, that's your site, isn't it? It's great!

In fact, I'm thinking it might be preferable, since it appears to allow you to adjust the inner and outer hub settings (to allow for the variance encountered from one brand of disc to another), while the stock template included in Nero 7's Cover Designer (pictured in my quote above) doesn't allow editing of parameters.

I just ordered a tray off of eBay, and I can't wait 'til it gets here so I can try all of this out. 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How do you get Cover Designer to print to Canon CD tray and not to paper? I thought only CD Label could do that?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by ntscuser
    How do you get Cover Designer to print to Canon CD tray and not to paper? I thought only CD Label could do that?
    When you print you choose the tray.

Quote Quote  
  16. hey now that some of you have had it for a while how does the quality compare vs an Epson R200? Is the a noticeable difference and if so what?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ntscuser
    When you print you choose the tray.

Tried that, the printer didn't want to know. Just keeps telling me the paper has run out and to load the sheet feeder. Am using the Verbatim 119mm data file as my version of Cover Designer doesn't support Canon.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I had the Epson 200 first, then then the u.k. version of the Pixma 4000 that had the dvd printing enabled withouth doing the mod. There is no comparison, the Pixma is much better. The quality is equal to or better than the Epson on printable dvds, haven't tried either on photo paper. The tray is sturdy, no flimsy plastic lead-in, it doesn't bind up while going in, and is much faster. I've done alot of dvds and the ink tanks have hardly shown that they've gone down. I have the feeling that the ink will last much longer. The thing I like the most is that when you get the printer, you install the head into a carrier and then snap the carrier into the printer. This takes abourt 10 seconds, its that easy. If you should get a clogged head, you can take it out just as easy to clean it under water or solution. Worst case is that you can buy a new head and not trash the printer. My Epson was forever clogging and I finally just threw it out. The Canon's are supposed to be very forgiving when it comes to third party ink.
    Quote Quote  
  19. One more thing, the epson print software and the canon's are almost identical. I like the preview mode on the epson, but I like the text shadowing better on the canon. the epson has text shadowing also, but the canon's is more adjustable. Otherwise, they are very similar and easy to use, and, in my opinion, more than adequate so you shouldn't have to look for other software.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Tried that, the printer didn't want to know. Just keeps telling me the paper has run out and to load the sheet feeder. Am using the Verbatim 119mm data file as my version of Cover Designer doesn't support Canon.
    Click properties on the dialog above and change Media Type to:

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tried that, the printer didn't want to know. Just keeps telling me the paper has run out and to load the sheet feeder. Am using the Verbatim 119mm data file as my version of Cover Designer doesn't support Canon.
    Click properties on the dialog above and change Media Type to:

Okay, done that. Works now and is as close as dammit. Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fscrocco
    One more thing, the epson print software and the canon's are almost identical. I like the preview mode on the epson, but I like the text shadowing better on the canon. the epson has text shadowing also, but the canon's is more adjustable. Otherwise, they are very similar and easy to use, and, in my opinion, more than adequate so you shouldn't have to look for other software.
    You are right in that they are similar, but Canon's software does NOT allow you to do what I've already described twice wanting to do with graphics that I import and use as a background. I don't want to be redundant, so I won't describe again.

Can Canon's software suffice? Sure, but I'd rather not have to lose the one feature that Epson's software allows you to do, which I utilize all the time when making covers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One more thing, the epson print software and the canon's are almost identical. I like the preview mode on the epson, but I like the text shadowing better on the canon. the epson has text shadowing also, but the canon's is more adjustable. Otherwise, they are very similar and easy to use, and, in my opinion, more than adequate so you shouldn't have to look for other software.
    You are right in that they are similar, but Canon's software does NOT allow you to do what I've already described twice wanting to do with graphics that I import and use as a background. I don't want to be redundant, so I won't describe again.

Can Canon's software suffice? Sure, but I'd rather not have to lose the one feature that Epson's software allows you to do, which I utilize all the time when making covers.
    That makes perfect sense. Image manipulation programs are so scarce and hard to come by these days it is worth sticking with an inferior printer in order to make use of that one small utility
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by nickelzy

Upload a full hub cover and I'll try to adjust it to fit on standard size dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM

That makes perfect sense. Image manipulation programs are so scarce and hard to come by these days it is worth sticking with an inferior printer in order to make use of that one small utility
    Not quite sure what you're getting at there, my friend. Oh well, it doesn't matter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Not quite sure what you're getting at there, my friend. Oh well, it doesn't matter.
    What I mean is that you can use another program - I use Photoshop myself but there are plenty of others available - to manipulate the image any way you like and then import that into Canon CD Label.
    Quote Quote  
  27. nickelzy, I just tried both softwares (epson's and canon's) because I couldn't remember exactyly. With the epson, you have to hold down the shift key to stretch it without distorting, or else without holding down the key, it will distort. The canon is the opposite, without holding down a key, it won't distort, but if you hold down the shift key, it will distort. So, both are the same. I see what you mean by stretching the picture beyond the canvas. With the epson, you can see the over-shot image past the circle. You can do the same with the canon, but you don't see what's outside the circle. You can still stretch it beyond the circle, then place your pointer inside the image, hold down the left mouse button to grab the image, then move it around. A little less awkward with the epson though. I like the shadow feature of the canon better, you can adjust the depth of the shadow, you can't with the epson. You can also add a border around the whole text and adjust the thickness. There is no border option with the epson.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    fscrocco - yeah, I know that the Canon program allows you to stretch beyond the canvas, but like you said, then you can't see the entire image. That makes it sometimes difficult and akward to work with. I'm sure the Canon program does have some advantages over Epson. I'll just have to get used to it!

ntscuser - I too use Photoshop when I have to. I just don't like to if I can at all help it because that just adds another step and more time into the process. I was confused by your earlier post because you wrote something about sticking with an inferior printer. Who's doing that? I just merely pointed out a feature that I'm looking for and was hoping someone could give me some suggestions on how to best work with the software (or direct me to another compatible program).
    Quote Quote  
  29. Hey nickelzy where did you buy your 4000 from?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ultraman - I got mine from someone on ebay. It was kind of funny, the charge for shipping was 50 bucks, but the printer itself was only 35. Obviously it doesn't matter since the only thing that really matters is the total cost, which was 85 bucks in my case. For this printer, I'd say that this was a great buy. My pop has one and has been using it for about a year and in the couple of weeks that I've used mine, we both love them. The colors look slightly more vivid than the Epson (although my beef with Epson was never image quality). However, so far, I'd say that the pics are just as good (probably slightly better, but it's hard to really say for certain without a printer to printer and image to image comparison). What I also really like is the speed of the printer; much faster than the Epson. I also do a lot of text printing, and the output also looks slightly better as well. What's also great is that there is no more haggling with the darn cd/dvd tray like I use to do with the Epson. Oh, and did I mention how much I like having two paper capacities (one feeder on top, like the epson, and a cassette).

I don't mean to put down the Epson R200, it's just that after owning it for a couple of years and now going witht the Pixma 4000, I'm much happier!

By the way, I found a cd/dvd tray on ebay (after shipping) for 26 bucks. Therefore, my total price with shipping for the printer and tray was $111 (not bad if you ask me).

Now I just have to figure out how to get replacement ink that I will be happy with (to keep the ink costs down).
    Quote Quote