VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Where do you rent your movies?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Local shop.

I have tested some online rental services but they are all too slow and new released movies are impossible to get.

I have also tested an online download rental service but the video quality was far from dvd quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Local rental shop (Blockbusters). I dont rent much, probably only a few a month.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A mix of different place
    I do use online rents (lovefilm.com) but generally for older or more obscure movies as I don't care in what order they come from my rental list or how long I have to wait.
    For the newer Hollywood blockbusters I try to use my local independent store, but will resort to a Blockbuster as a last resort.

- e404pnf
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Local rental shops. Rent movies that I didn't watch on cinema and anime.

Watch blockbuster in cinema... the sound there is better. Great pop corn !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix. Haven't set foot in a local place since I signed up. If I want it SO bad I can't wait on netflix that means I should likely be buying it in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've belonged to Netflix in the past and currently have a Blockbuster Online account. While it isn't as convenient as running down to the local Blockbuster, I have a much more better selection of titles than I do at the local store.

While I'd like it to be a quicker turnaround on rentals, based upon what I pay per month in the plan vs how many movies I'm able to receive, I really can't complain on the net cost per movie, especially if I'd had to rent those individually at a local rental shop. I'm guessing the cost would have been several times over what I pay.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I work in an independent video shop and I get all my rentals for free.

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Blockbuster when the mood strikes. But I got to tell ya, for kids movies, it's just as cheap to buy a older movie at WallyWorld out of the bargin bin. In all thruthfulness I don't think that even the new releases stay all that high priced for very long.
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you noticed that prices for rentals have gone up and prices for buying have come down (at least here in the UK).

The funny thing is, if I wanted to rent a movie form blockbuster, it would cost me £3.95 (thats what my local store charges) for 2 nights. My local discount store (cant remember the name, it sellls dvds, cds cheap) would sell the some movies for a fiver. I even saw The Bourne Supremacy on sale for £3.99, yet its still £3.95 to rent from BB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Our local public library; 50 cents for 7 days!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by waheed
    Have you noticed that prices for rentals have gone up and prices for buying have come down (at least here in the UK).

The funny thing is, if I wanted to rent a movie form blockbuster, it would cost me £3.95 (thats what my local store charges) for 2 nights. My local discount store (cant remember the name, it sellls dvds, cds cheap) would sell the some movies for a fiver. I even saw The Bourne Supremacy on sale for £3.99, yet its still £3.95 to rent from BB.
    Would agree with this which is why I tend to use local independent stores rather than Blockbusters or Choices etc. I don't use blockbusters that often so don't know when the change took place, but rather than reducing prices they have increased the length of time you rent the film (from 1 night to two on the new releases and I think its now 5 or 7 nights for older titles). I'd much rather have the movie for 1 night at £2 than be forced to pay a premium to rent it for two. My local store only charges £2.50 for one night & if I think I'm going to watch it more than once I buy it. It doesn't take too long to be on offer at WH Smiths or HMV on a 3 for 2 or just on offer at Asda for £5/6. I'm usually patient enough to wait.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Since we got digital cable and the Movie Network (about 3 years ago), we haven’t rented a single DVD Movie. We still rent the odd Pay Per View or Video On Demand movie from the cable company. I don’t see that option listed, or is it included under “Online download/streaming rental service”.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by waheed
    Local rental shop (Blockbusters). I dont rent much, probably only a few a month.
    Same here - I'm up for the 3 movies at a time offer but I usually have them for a month at a time........
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I get all my movies from my local library. There isn't much they don't have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I rent new release DVDs from Albertson's (a grocery) on $1 Mondays and $1 Wednesdays.

+ Library has >1000 titles that can be preordered online and renewed for up to 4 weeks.

It's been about 6 mo. since I've used Blockbuster.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  16. screenselect.co.uk

They send me 2 DVD's at a time.Soon as I have watched them and sent them back,they dispatch another couple.
    They have a wide variety of movies to choose from.
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good movies are hard to find nowdays... poor quality acting and even poorer story lines puts most movies on a low standard rating.

Most are much the same average movie due to so many made. the odd one breaks out of the pack and is remembered, the majority are forgotten. Some people like quality, most except less.........

Take away any film with a death in it, and you don`t have many left?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LOWTECH
    Good movies are hard to find nowdays... poor quality acting and even poorer story lines puts most movies on a low standard rating.
    So true,
    Even at $1 rent (essentially free) I often walk out empty handed because the quality offered is not worth the return trip the next day.

Most of the titles reach HBO within a year. I find most of that is unwatchable and silly. HBO original material beats out most of their movies.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix and Blockbuster.

I just signed up with netflix a week or two ago and love it. I figure I'll still probably use blockbuster for a new release or just buy it.

BUT what I love is they have all the tv shows on dvd!!! Blockbuster has a pitfull selection of tv shows on dvd. They are starting to get better. But netflix has the entire series of star trek, xfiles and others!
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  20. I don't rent many movies. When I do rent I go the the Mom & Pop shop or Blockbuster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't rent movies. I just watch the reruns on 'Encore'.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Local shop
    Quote Quote  
  23. I haven't rented a movie in years. I either use my ReplayTV and search by genre and pick some titles for it to record and then watch at my liesure or I've watched it in the movies, maybe 3-5 times a year or I bought the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix
    Motherboard problems, not intermittant anymore!!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    local Ma-and-Pa type shops (3 within 5 miles of me) the larger of the 3 has new DVD for $2 for one night and older releases for $1 for one night plus they have $5/5 discs/5 night specials for older releases only.

Limited selection though but I almost always get the newest release without any waits.

The nearest chain stores like Blockbuster is 20 minutes drive so they are never an option for me. Especially with $3 per gallon gas nowday.

FWIW I had considered online rental but I haven't had any problem getting what I wanted from any of the 3 locals. If none of the 3 have it, the DVD are probably extremely rare or never released and going with online service would only be a waste of my time and money.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Local rent shop, why wait for it to get mailed to you if you can get it immediately.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've trialled a couple of the online rental services offered in Oz. Apart from them, I don't rent.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I rent from a local store. At $34 a month I can rent all the games and all the movies I can consume. I don't rent alot of movies accept new releases, but the game renting gets plenty of use in my household. The price of DVDs are so cheap, we usually buy a movie and then return it for half it's value in trade, if we don't plan to keep it. I've also noticed the price of DVD movies drop while the cost to rent individual movies has increased. At our local shop, if you don't have the Movie Ticket(All you can consume) rentals are $4.50 plus tax. Movies to buy are $8 for older and previewed movies or $17 for new releases. We buy more movies then we rent, but rental is a great "try before you buy" if you have the all for one pricing plan.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We do both: rent from netflix and from the local Hollywood video. Netflix got that deep and wide selection, while our local video shop takes a 5 minute walk to get to, which makes it very handy for that impulse to watch a movie or checkout a game. Occasionally it's the public library (another 5 minute walk), but their selection is usually stripped.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not rent.

Broadband, burners and (re)writable media has fallen in price so much, it makes no sense in wasting money at a rental store. Plus the local store charges nearly £4 a time which is rather expensive
    Quote Quote