VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to find a fairly cheap DVD player which has a built in DTS decoder so that I don't have to buy a receiver or amp for my 5.1 system (Acoustic Solutions AS133). It has to be a PAL DVD player and I would like one that is already multi-region or has a multi-region hack.

Thank you.
    "No matter how far a jackass travels, it won't come back a horse" Batou - Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My parents have an Apex AD-800. It is a few years old, but it does have 5.1 analog outputs and decodes 5.1 dd and dts; I believe it has both optical and coaxial digital outputs which support dd, dts, and pcm. It's a decent player and was pretty cheap. It plays both PAL and NTSC fine and outputs both formats also, and is progressive scanning. It also has Composite, S-Video, and Component video out.

The cons about it though are that it is a large player, fast forward and rewind is awkward, and it doesn't handle SVCDs well. Also, the only hack I remember for it was a firware upgrade with a side effect that caused the remote to not work anymore, but you could get a universal remote to work with it, and the faceplate is a little abnormal in that it has all of the navigation buttons you need, so you don't really need a remote.

It might be a little hard to find because it is so old.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there are lots of them under 100$ now .. did you check the dvd player list ?
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I got a DVD player that decodes DTS I'm not sure if my receiver (in my case built into the subwoofer) would be able to handle it. I can play DTS through it when I hook up my 5.1 to my computer (but I only use the stereo Aux, not the true 5.1 setting) but I use the AC3 filter to play it.

Would my 5.1 be able to handle the DTS if I used a standalone DVD player if it plays the DTS through AC3 filter.

Thanks in advance.
    "No matter how far a jackass travels, it won't come back a horse" Batou - Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What you need for your system is a dvd player that decodes dts to a 5.1 analog output. The player will have six RCA (the normal red/white/yellow connector) outputs for the sound, which will say center, left, right, right surround, left surround, and subwoofer. So, there will be six (or 3 pairs of) RCA cables going from your dvd player directly to your AS 133. That is the only way to get true 5.1 dts sound with your system.

The most common way to hook up multichannel is with a digital output. The dvd player sends the Dolby Digital or DTS stream directly to the reciever, which then decodes that so it can play it through the speakers; the DVD player doesn't need to do any decoding. What you need is a DVD player that does the decoding to make up for the lack of features on your "receiver."

I'm quite sure what you're suggesting, but it sounds like with your suggested setup, the dvd player is converting the dts to a two channel analog encoded with Dolby Pro-Logic, which your computer then expands to 5.1 channel. It's like your taking a six lane highway and bottling it down to two lanes and then going back to six lanes; you're not going to get the same benefit as if you had a six lane highway the whole way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for helping me Donny. I have set my eyes on the Yamada DVX-6700 (which plays everything that is hurled at it).
    Quote Quote