VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    While cleaning up the mess in the DVD HACKS list on this site, I've run across a number of scams and other somewhat scummy money-grubbers trying to sell you information that would have been free with a little research. Please be aware of these people.

A great many of them have lifted information from sites like this and sell them. Others have downloaded hacks files and sell them on CD for anywhere between $5 to $50 USD (average prices). Most of these people/places seem to be based in the UK or Europe. A great number of these "companies" (this word is used loosely) have been known to outright steal your money, provide outdated hacks, and generally just rip you off for info that was available freely to them.

At very least, these people are shills, often leaving themselves fake positive feedback on this site, or trying to slip themselves some free advertising. Some of them are even new aliases once old operations are closed down.

marshpants.co.uk
    multidvd.co.uk
    multiregionupgrades.co.uk
    multiregionupgrades.com
    panasonic-remote-hack.co.uk
    dvdchips.co.uk
    dvdchips.com
    dvdremotehack.com
    dvdcodes.net
    dvdcodes.co.uk
    multiregion.co.uk
    dvdfree.com
    freeyourdvd.co.uk
    dvd-hacks.co.uk
    solderless.chip.ms
    d-shop.info

I'm not sure who in this list may be a thief, or who may be providing worthless goods, but I will say to be very wary of buying DVD player hacks.

Between the information available on this site nad a few others like nerd-out.com, you should not need to purchase information. If you have your hardware modified or are looking to purchase a special remote, do your research in advance, see what kind of hits you get on google from sites where previous customers have left comments (not on the site where the goods are being sold, of course, those are usually fake).

There are also a couple of losers pawning off such discs on eBay, charging $10-20 for freeware written by dedicated hackers that made not a dime on their work. MrWizard's LITEON/ILO hacks, for example.

You've been warned!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your comments are very unfair , I represent www.dvdchips.co.uk , also known as www.panasonic-remote-hack.co.uk among others.

You should not assume that customers who have used us and then visited your hack list to leave feedback are fake !

We had a system in place whereby we would email all our Panasonic customers a few weeks after they had dealt with us with the email below , there is no other way to hack Panasonic DVD players / recorders therefore having this information in your hack list was perfectly valid.

Steve
    www.dvdchips.co.uk
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Customer

If you are happy with the service you received from us then please take a moment to help us. If you were not happy with our service then please reply to this email to let us know exactly what went wrong.

We are asking our satisfied customers to just take a moment of their time to post a message on videohelp.com

You will first need to register for forum access on this page

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/profile.php?mode=register

you will then be able to add “hacks” to the page below ( it says you have to wait a few days before posting but this seems incorrect )

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

Please search the page for your make and model and go to “add hack”

You can now put a short message saying that you got the remote or disc from www.panasonic-remote-hack.co.uk and it worked fine or words to that effect. Don’t worry about breaking any rules as their site clearly states

“You can also add links to a site that has a hack for this player. Or if the player requires extra hardware such as a special remote control or similiar you can put links to stores sells such or links to store that fix the player for you”

Unfortunately it is not allowed for us to promote our own site in this way hence the reason we are asking for help with this.

Thanks in advance for any support.

Regards

Steve
    www.dvdchips.co.uk
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But Steve, it seems that your only purpose in visiting this site is to spam your goods. Your one and only post is for advertising and to tell others to advertise for you.

Why don't you take the honest route and become a legitimate sponsor?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can see your point that I could become an advertiser but paying out 100's of dollars for a banner has never really appealed to me , I would have to sell a hell of a lot of upgrades just to pay for the advertising.

As far as I was concerened I was only asking my customers to do exactly what this site requests

“You can also add links to a site that has a hack for this player. Or if the player requires extra hardware such as a special remote control or similiar you can put links to stores sells such or links to store that fix the player for you”

I was just a bit annoyed by the post that cast doubt on my reputation , you only have to look at the comments on my message board to see that I am legit ( although this message indicates they will be fake !!! )

http://dvdchips.9.forumer.com/index.php?showforum=1

I've said all I need to say in my defence now and I have no intention of resuming sending this email out only for the hack posts to get deleted.

Steve Hoyle
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Steve Hoyle
    As far as I was concerened I was only asking my customers to do exactly what this site requests

My understanding is that this is more like permission, rather than a request (you "can" vs. you "must/should")

I was just a bit annoyed by the post that cast doubt on my reputation , you only have to look at the comments on my message board to see that I am legit ( although this message indicates they will be fake !!! )
    Which, in all fairness, is true. There are tons of spammers out there who (try to) use this site to promote their products, then use shills to back them up (multiple accounts praising them, message boards with bad reviews deleted, etc.)

I've said all I need to say in my defence now and I have no intention of resuming sending this email out only for the hack posts to get deleted.
    Steve Hoyle
    Which is fair, considering that they can post the links themselves, if they are so inclined, and it does not put you in a position where it seems like you are affiliated with this site (since you are not).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If it helps Steve....I think you're a dirtball.....feel better?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can see your point that I could become an advertiser but paying out 100's of dollars for a banner has never really appealed to me ,
    Tough shit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I see a lot of comments like this:

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?select=Pioneer+NS-DV55

Region code hack posted by SK, December 02 2005:
    Bought hack from dvdremotehack.com as their site said that they had a multi-region hack available for Pioneer NS-DV55. Turns out they had just listed out the steps to play an RCE DVD on a player that was multi-region already !! (the same instructions that hack 1 has posted here !!). So .. dvdremotehack.com was a total waste of time and money ($5 + VAT.. GBP3.70)
    Selling ice to eskimos.

Most of the positive comments I see online are shills, and most of the negative comments are genuinely pissed off people.

They paid for something the machine did not need, paid for something that does not work, or paid for something that was free on this site (or similar sites).

Also be aware of eBay jerks. Like the one that has illegally made $100's off the LiteOn hack software made by Mr. Wizard (who has made nothing on it). That software is free and mirrored on a number of sites.

Be very wary, these people are locusts.

Unless you are buying a specially-made remote control that cannot be found readily, or easily made/modified on your own, you basically piss away your money by shopping with these sites.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My site not scam.
    I shall give to first ten interested persons free of charge multiregion firmware for dvd-recorder pioneer.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning. No advertising.
    / Moderator Baldrick
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can this be made into a sticky again?
    Quote Quote